Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heart disease found in ancient mummies

Saru

CT scans of ancient mummies have revealed that heart disease was widespread in the ancient world.

People tend to think of heart disease as a scourge of modern life, brought on by vices such as greasy fast food, smoking and the tendency to be a couch potato.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Isn't anything but raw fruits/vegetables/meat processed? I guess it stands to reason even ancient methods of processing food changes what it does to you.

Sounds like heart disease is something we may not be able to escape. One thing we might take into account is these people may of ate food that was going bad because of no refrigeration and that could play a role. Not to mention lack of medical care.

• Like 2

So much for the paleo diet. lol

I once drew the ire of an emergency medical educator at a seminar about 4 years ago.

The question asked was, "What is the leading cause of death in the world today?"

I answered, "Cardiac arrest." I was told, "no.....the leading cause of death is heart disease."

I said, "I beg to differ and I'm fairly certain the leading cause of death is cardiac arrest. EVERYBODY dies of cardiac arrest. And if that's not true, go start digging up graves until you find someone's heart beating."

So much for the paleo diet. lol

I don't think mummies where hunter gatherers... they probably ate tons of grains.

The leading and ONLY cause of death is being born alive, period.

That being said I am so glad they have shot down another myth that along with common sense you can pretty much eat anything.

I cringe every time I hear a snake oil salesman talk about ancient peoples having miracle diets that will allow a person to cure cancer, diabetes and live to be a 140 years old.

Egyptians 5000 years ago where not hunter gatherers, none of the nations who build cities at that time were. So what mummies? And what lifestyle?

I don't think mummies where hunter gatherers... they probably ate tons of grains.

I was of the opinion they didn't have a digestive system or at least not a functional one.

I would like to know what their teeth and jawbones looked like. If they're dental hygiene wasn't very good that could be a major factor as well.

Heart disease is part of the aging process. The medical "business" (which is a major embarrassment) just wants to take every dime we have by making people think we can live longer and continue to give them every dime we'll ever have.

Edited by Hobbit Feet