Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men dressed in space suits

marboo

So... this is my story.

I had just dropped my kids to primary school (elementary school in the states?) around 8am, back in 2001. The town we live in is in Australia, it's a small town, and is fairly rural. Being a local I knew most of the back roads and shortcuts and as usual took a small dirt road I used regularly in order to avoid school traffic. On my way up the road I started to feel uneasy and strange, even a little anxious... for no real reason. I ignored it until I could see something on the side of the road. This road is only just wide enough for one car so it's very obvious when something is parked on either side. This is the weird part, as I get closer I see about 3 or 4 'suited' men. At first it looked as if they were wearing bee keepers out fits but as I got closer i couldn't believe it. The suits they were wearing looked exactly like space suits... the reflective visor, the antennas, the puffy gloves and big boots. I can not make it any clearer, that this was definitely not just a normal suit people working would wear. I really freaked out when I got closer. I notice what looked like a 'futuristic' van, best way I could describe it. Also, these people didn't even seem to register me being there... they wouldn't even move off the road.

No other cars were around and no houses/businesses/sheds or anything were anywhere near us. No road closures were set up, no warning signs, no lights for signaling, no reports on the tv or in the newspaper.I thought that if they needed to be wearing such suits for a job it wouldn't just be an open road for the public to use. Also this road had no real attractions... just long grass and dirt. No trees.. nothing.

I called up the council office, the mayors office, the police, the national hazmat guys... no one knew a thing about it. I still to this day get freaked out about what I saw. Please don't ridicule me... I just really felt the need to share.

Thanks guys!

• Like 2

Sounds like hazmat suits. Don't ever expect a straight answer about something like that.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 3

I called up the council office, the mayors office, the police, the national hazmat guys... no one knew a thing about it.

More than likely no one wanted to tell. it makes them feel important!

Sounds like hazmat suits. Don't ever expect a straight answer about something like that.

Or they could have been wearing Axe Apollo.

• Like 1

There were at least two wandering around Reading town centre last Saturday morning

The great non-fiction book The Radioactive Boyscout described how the NRC sent their people into a suburban yard in radiation suits to remove a garden shed that was full of radioactive material.

They didn't tell anyone in the neighborhood what they were doing. Neighbors called the police and other local government officials but didn't find out what they had done until the story was published months later.

Did it look like this?

cumberland_spaceman51.jpg

The "cumberland spaceman" was not seen at the time of the photo (which was taken near a nuclear power station) but the man who took the photo supposedly had a MIB visit after going to the media with the photo. Also, around the same time in Australia at the Blue streak missle launch, the countdown was called off after someone noticed a "spaceman" (looking almost exactly like the cumberland spaceman) right next to the rocket on one of the monitors. Investigations found no one in the area.

In a BBC Look North interview and a letter to The Daily Mail, Templeton also claimed that a Blue Streak missile launch at the Woomera Test Range had been aborted because the figures of two large men were seen on the firing range. Templeton alleged that technicians later saw his photograph in an Australian newspaper and found the figures to be "exactly the same type of man, same dress, same figure, same size".[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solway_Firth_Spaceman

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 2

Yeah I agree with Hilander, it sounds like Hazmat suits. Something probably spilled that they don't want anybody to know about.

Where was this?

In Queensland, Australia

The great non-fiction book The Radioactive Boyscout described how the NRC sent their people into a suburban yard in radiation suits to remove a garden shed that was full of radioactive material.

They didn't tell anyone in the neighborhood what they were doing. Neighbors called the police and other local government officials but didn't find out what they had done until the story was published months later.

Scary to think that something so dangerous is completely exposed to the public :(

Did it look like this?

The "cumberland spaceman" was not seen at the time of the photo (which was taken near a nuclear power station) but the man who took the photo supposedly had a MIB visit after going to the media with the photo. Also, around the same time in Australia at the Blue streak missle launch, the countdown was called off after someone noticed a "spaceman" (looking almost exactly like the cumberland spaceman) right next to the rocket on one of the monitors. Investigations found no one in the area.

http://en.wikipedia...._Firth_Spaceman

I've heard about this story. I guess some guys in white suits would match the description haha. This photo has always stuck with me.

hmmm you guys had a bit of flooding etc over that way recently didnt you?

Did it look like this?

http://en.wikipedia...._Firth_Spaceman

The cumberland spaceman has been proven to be a guy wearing a hoodie with his back to the camera. I can't liink from this computer (don't ask) but just google debunking the cumberland spaceman.

hmmm you guys had a bit of flooding etc over that way recently didnt you?

Biggest flood in recorded history! Evacuated with 5m of water in our street.

I was on a bus from Croydon to Heathrow Airport (UK) on Wednesday morning and a man got on wearing an astronaut's helmet. He wasn't wearing a full suit, just the helmet, with a long black overcoat. I got off before him, so I didn't see if he was going all the way to the airport.

Black Ops Hazmat space training.. :ph34r::gun: .

Anyway must have been quite a shock for a normal routine too encounter this space guys.. Did the suits look like hazmat or space ?

I was on a bus from Croydon to Heathrow Airport (UK) on Wednesday morning and a man got on wearing an astronaut's helmet. He wasn't wearing a full suit, just the helmet, with a long black overcoat. I got off before him, so I didn't see if he was going all the way to the airport.

Daft punk man...

DaftPunkPA250311.jpg

• Like 2

Wow,maybe they were not "men", did you see their faces or were the sun-visors down.

Ok so they were Alien black ops hazmat space astronauts xDDD. Poking a dead rabbit at the side of the road.

It: What is that?

Second it: Must be some sort of organic rock

It: This planet is strange... lets cover it up.. It is a tree..

Just joking :D

In case of daft punk they werent little green men they once had a gig without the helmets ...fact :D

Edited by Tesla II

How weird!

Black Ops Hazmat space training.. :ph34r::gun: .

Anyway must have been quite a shock for a normal routine too encounter this space guys.. Did the suits look like hazmat or space ?

I could have sworn they were space suits, If I saw footage of astronauts in space wearing those suits I wouldn't even take a second glance.

Wow,maybe they were not "men", did you see their faces or were the sun-visors down.

The reflective visors were down, although I'm positive they were people. Just doesn't explain the uneasiness before it all happened.

• Like 1

The reflective visors were down, although I'm positive they were people. Just doesn't explain the uneasiness before it all happened.

Very weird and interesting... you should come back and look around or mabye spy abit on what they were doing. That uneasy effect might originate in something they were doing, still i find it even more werid that there wasnt any security.

If these were completely self contained suits, having the breathing apparatus within, then this was a fairly high level hazmat incident. Yet, what the OP has described seems inconsistent with incident management where responders would be using level one protection. Typically, a high level hazmat incident is very carefully controlled and would be cordoned off, for example, concentric rings with the "hotest" area in the center eventually followed by a well defined decontamination area for the response team. What then comes to mind is perhaps some sort of informal training. Perhaps, because level one personal protection is so uncomfortable and awkward in use, the team was simply getting some practice donning and doffing equipment in a realistic setting. But, this is indeed a curious event from the perspective of hazardous materials handling.

• Like 1

My first thought was that you drove past them filming one of those "aliens make friends with humans" kids shows we get from time to time filmed here.

• Like 1

Scary to think that something so dangerous is completely exposed to the public :(

It was more scary to read that some kid was able to accumulate enough radioactive material to attempt to build a crude nuclear reactor and had more than enough stuff to build a dirty bomb.