Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Judge accepts "not guilty plea"

pallidin

ill just quote this cause its exactly how i feel about that worthless human being

At the conclusion of the brief hearing, the father of one of the victim's shouted out, "Rot in hell, Holmes."

sooner than later i hope.

• Like 1

Case needs to move forward. Hes guilty as sin. What is the delay.

• Like 2

I guess the "delay" has to do with the Colorado legal definition of "insanity"

This does not change, at all, the crime, but potentially changes punishment.

Yet, that was just a "not guilty" plea from the judge in order to move this forward, since the defense seem's not prepared to enter a plea.

So, this was more procedural than anything else, though also demands special evaluation techniques to establish "insanity"

And the rest of the article explains why.

What's nice is that the judge appears to not be putting-up with BS delays.

• Like 1

no matter how he pleas he wont walk away, hopefully he'll be found mentally fit, either life in jail, or DP. not sure if Co has DP.

• Like 1

If they don't hopefully they will bring it back just for this guy. Doubt if tax payers feel like paying for his upkeep for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

Nothing will bring back those killed. Not sure why some feel the need to kill the accused quickly. An eye for an eye I suppose. Regardless, whats done is done. Time to move forward and allow the accused to have his day in court.

Less than 1% of entered insanity pleas are successful. They have to prove that he is incapable of participating in his own defense. They generally even have the option of commiting him to a psychiatric hospital for a certain amount of time to get him on meds so he's able to participate. This is why so few instanity defenses actually work. Make no mistake, many many prisoners are bat-crap crazy and insane, but since they were able to participate in their defense, it rarely works. Most wind up going down on 1st degree, life in prison, no possibility of parole. The insanity defense tends to work best to keep criminals off death row should that state have a capitol punishment law.