Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Demand for China chopsticks killing trees

Still Waters

A Chinese legislator who heads a forestry company has urged the country to save more trees by reducing the 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks it makes each year, state media say.

China's chopstick production amounted to 20 million 20-year-old trees, enough to fill Tiananmen Square with 360 layers of the single-use utensil, the Xinhua state news agency cited him as saying.

http://www.globalpos...-trees-lawmaker

• Like 1

Back in 1985 I was a forester in Durango, Colorado. Our district sold three million board feet of aspen each year to a manufacturer in Santa Fe who turned it into chopsticks for the Japanese fast-food market. A single 33 million-board foot sale supplied them for eleven years. They paid about $30,000 a year in stumpage, plus cutting and hauling costs. That's enough wood for 150 average-sized houses a year, or 1650 over the span of the sale. There's some serious volume involved.

Doug

I saw something on TV a few months back about a US company, perhaps in Georgia or Carolina, that almost exclusively provided wood for that purpose. It seems to me they actually took it down to the final product of chopsticks, and sent them to China. The company was doing very well.

This is just PR for the new Central Committee, news is strictly bamboo is going to be used in the future, planning this for years, there will be protests by the 'wood' purists but I don't think they'll make much noise. Wood is just 'classier' than 'low class' bamboo and bamboo is by far the better material for disposable chop sticks

• Like 2

This is just PR for the new Central Committee, news is strictly bamboo is going to be used in the future, planning this for years, there will be protests by the 'wood' purists but I don't think they'll make much noise. Wood is just 'classier' than 'low class' bamboo and bamboo is by far the better material for disposable chop sticks

I prefer the bamboo anyway. Doesn't have as much shavings that come off in your food. It's good to add fiber to your diet but c'mon!! :)

Also, there was a news segment a few years ago here that showed how the wooden chopsticks were made and it pretty much horrified everyone at how filthy the conditions were where they made them and that we were putting them into our mouths... lol

• Like 1

I prefer the bamboo anyway. Doesn't have as much shavings that come off in your food. It's good to add fiber to your diet but c'mon!! :)

Also, there was a news segment a few years ago here that showed how the wooden chopsticks were made and it pretty much horrified everyone at how filthy the conditions were where they made them and that we were putting them into our mouths... lol

marketing propaganda :lol:

take the worse there is and things couldn't be any worse,

chopsticks, disposable or not is still the best with East Asian oriental food

I hate eating my food off metal or from tin cans,

porcelain ceramic or even just the humble banana leave is the best of good enough for lil ol' me :yes:

Seeing how Oriental food is prepared in bite size morsels it only makes sense to use chopsticks. Not only are they an effient tool I think its fun to use them.

Bamboo ones work for me.

• Like 1

I saw something on TV a few months back about a US company, perhaps in Georgia or Carolina, that almost exclusively provided wood for that purpose. It seems to me they actually took it down to the final product of chopsticks, and sent them to China. The company was doing very well.

First they trim logs into blocks, then peel the blocks into plys on a lathe. Then they run the plys through a stamping machine that turns out finished chopsticks. Whole porcess is automated.

They run everything through the process, then just throw out anything that doesn't make the grade, like knots, incipient decay, cross-grain, etc.

Doug

• Like 1

that is what they call 'top dallar' chopsticks ... disposables though they may be

The US has a trade deficit with China, anyway, and we have huge surpluses of Grade 3 hardwood logs that could be easily turned into billions of chopsticks. Why don't they just buy them from us?

Doug

The US has a trade deficit with China, anyway, and we have huge surpluses of Grade 3 hardwood logs that could be easily turned into billions of chopsticks. Why don't they just buy them from us?

Doug

The piece I saw made it sound like these were shipped to China?

Anytime there is a demand for a wood product trees are going to die for it. Bamboo is a better choice and renews itself much faster.

• Like 2

marketing propaganda :lol:

take the worse there is and things couldn't be any worse,

chopsticks, disposable or not is still the best with East Asian oriental food

I hate eating my food off metal or from tin cans,

porcelain ceramic or even just the humble banana leave is the best of good enough for lil ol' me :yes:

Even if it is propaganda, I prefer the bamboo & I find it easier to use chopsticks, I use them to cook as well, obviously not for soup or anything like that but I think they're easier to eat with, especially salad.

Anytime there is a demand for a wood product trees are going to die for it. Bamboo is a better choice and renews itself much faster.

Bamboo is a great replacement for all kinds of wood. Or makes great flooring too.

Has their technology not come up to using knives and forks ?

Has their technology not come up to using knives and forks ?

Are you kidding? They still write in pictographs.
  • Like 1

The piece I saw made it sound like these were shipped to China?

The aspen I sold in Colorado went to Japan. But I find it easy to believe that China is also buying chopsticks from us.

Doug

I can just see trying to eat, say, jello or pudding with chopsticks. :w00t:

I can just see trying to eat, say, jello or pudding with chopsticks. :w00t:

soft is easy ... it is the hard, small and smooth that is challenging, say ... peanuts,

contests of chopstick mastery involves moving marbles from a bowl to another bowl

Even if it is propaganda, I prefer the bamboo & I find it easier to use chopsticks, I use them to cook as well, obviously not for soup or anything like that but I think they're easier to eat with, especially salad.

cake ..... eating cake with chopsticks is the best :D