Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Minimum Alcohol Pricing: Anger Over U-Turn

Commander CMG

David Cameron has insisted he will still clamp down on the sale of cheap alcohol after criticism over an apparent U-turn to impose a minimum price on drink.

Sources have told Sky News that the Government is planning to ditch plans for the 45p minimum, prompting anger from supporters of the move.

The Prime Minister had personally backed the proposal for England and Wales, which experts argue would save lives and cut crime.

Read More

The idea is to improve public health by making alcohol more expensive so people will drink less. Getting drunk is sometimes the poor man's only pleasure and/or escape, and he can't afford others. Yes it's bad for his health, but this seems cruel.

• Like 1

It could actually CAUSE crime. I understand the health issues - really I do... but I agree, it seems a cruel thing to do to people who are addicted and who use it to self medicate - been there and done that. Rehab tee shirts aren't cheap ;)

• Like 2

SIN TAX !!

• Like 1

Why should sensible drinkers have to pay more because of the excesses of others? It would be yet another nail in the coffin of the pub industry, and let us not forget the subsidised bars in the Houses of Parliament!!! (Don't do as I do - do as I tell you!)

• Like 4

The idea is to improve public health by making alcohol more expensive so people will drink less.&

lmao, no they wont drink less, their kids however may eat less.

• Like 4

I think that practically the entire population of Britain know that this will do nothing to stem binge drinking or alcohol abuse - or even alcohol intake for that matter; the only thing that will change is the bank balance of the millions of people who enjoy a drink, most of whom - by far - are responsible drinkers who harm no one.

The government are doing this simply to grab more of the population's money, and it is barefaced cheek (to put it politely) that they would even attempt to sell it as 'for the good of us'. That they can actually get away with this sort of thing truly astounds me.

Democracy? Where?

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

This is a sin tax pure and simple (as others have said)... Plus they can pound their chests (those that have them) and proudly proclaim that they "Have Done Something" (trademark pending) for the good of the (voting) masses....

So people can (briefly) feel good about themselves because "the evils of (fill in the blank) have been addressed!" (trademark also pending).

Social Engineering rears it's ugly head again...

• Like 1

This is a sin tax pure and simple (as others have said)... Plus they can pound their chests (those that have them) and proudly proclaim that they "Have Done Something" (trademark pending) for the good of the (voting) masses....

So people can (briefly) feel good about themselves because "the evils of (fill in the blank) have been addressed!" (trademark also pending).

Social Engineering rears it's ugly head again...

You forgot to include "lessons will be learned....."

• Like 2

I know plenty of alcoholics and none of them drink those cheap lagers, simply because they'd need to drink about two dozen afore the shaking stopped. lol

Most drink spirits, strong wines or expensive strong lagers and don't really give a damn about the price.

• Like 1

Funny, because one report i heard about recently claimed that the biggest rise in alcohol consumption & associated health problems was amongst the older wine drinking middle income bracket, which this proposal wouldn't touch. Wonder how much extra tax revenue has been factored into this?

• Like 1

Banning cheap alcohol is going to lead inevitably lead to a rise in shop lifting for people who need the occasional drinking session in a field.

There should be no clamp down on sales of cheap beer in supermarkets.

The vast majority of drinkers in Britain are responsible drinkers and all these people should not be punished just because of a few drunken, trouble-making morons.

By the way, the Chancellor has just reduced the cost of a pint of beer by 1p in today's Budget. Great stuff.

There should be no clamp down on sales of cheap beer in supermarkets.

The vast majority of drinkers in Britain are responsible drinkers and all these people should not be punished just because of a few drunken, trouble-making morons.

By the way, the Chancellor has just reduced the cost of a pint of beer by 1p in today's Budget. Great stuff.

He has only reduced the Duty by One Pence a pint. Now lets see all the Publicans reduce the price by that amount! I doubt they will, but my Brother in Law (still lives in the UK) tells me that a pint in a Pub costs from 2,50 to 4,00 pounds a pint!! Where I live it is still 1 euro a pint, and most (not all) of the Ex-Pat community drink sensibly, it is just the Tourists that go crazy....

He has only reduced the Duty by One Pence a pint. Now lets see all the Publicans reduce the price by that amount! I doubt they will, but my Brother in Law (still lives in the UK) tells me that a pint in a Pub costs from 2,50 to 4,00 pounds a pint!! Where I live it is still 1 euro a pint, and most (not all) of the Ex-Pat community drink sensibly, it is just the Tourists that go crazy....

Where I live you can buy pints for £1.50. It's only down south, especially London, where they are expensive.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

£4?? wheres this?

It costs over £4 in London.

In the South east of England pints cost an average of £3.15.

In Blackpool and other big resorts it costs over £4.

Most places in the North, though, you can get pints for around £1.50. But everything's cheaper in the North than down South.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Most places in the North, though, you can get pints for around £1.50. But everything's cheaper in the North than down South.

Thanks for clearing that up. In Southampton (when I visit) it gets very expensive to have a night out, especially in one of the new Pub In A Box venues. It actually becomes cheaper to fly friends and relatives out to Benidorm than for me and my family to go back to UK.

Edited by keithisco

:( Does this mean no more 90p shots on 90's nights? :no:

If the price of alcohol goes up, the percentage of my student loan which gets spent on alcohol goes up, let's face it.

Oh - £3 to £4 for a pint in Cardiff! £4.20-50 in some places on Six Nations days :td:

Back home oop North though, yeah it's definitely much cheaper. Not sure I've ever only paid £1.50 for a pint though.

Thanks for clearing that up. In Southampton (when I visit) it gets very expensive to have a night out, especially in one of the new Pub In A Box venues. It actually becomes cheaper to fly friends and relatives out to Benidorm than for me and my family to go back to UK.

I'm glad I live in the North.

I can buy three pints in a pub in the town centre for the cost of one pint down south.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Oh - £3 to £4 for a pint in Cardiff!

Same in Glasgow... some fancy bars it's a fiver, some social clubs and wee pubs it's about £2.50.

:( Does this mean no more 90p shots on 90's nights? :no:

If the price of alcohol goes up, the percentage of my student loan which gets spent on alcohol goes up, let's face it.

Oh - £3 to £4 for a pint in Cardiff! £4.20-50 in some places on Six Nations days :td:

Back home oop North though, yeah it's definitely much cheaper. Not sure I've ever only paid £1.50 for a pint though.

You should come to Bolton. Bradshawgate, a long street in the town centre, has a whole row of pubs and clubs on either side of it, and pints in them cost as little as £1.50.

549234_552798574753506_881934055_n.jpg

The Bamboogy Club on Bradshawgate is especially popular. If you get there before 11pm you can get in for free. Pints cost exactly £1.50.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun