Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nibiru: the imaginary planet

UM-Bot

William B Stoecker: Those of us who research and write about fringe topics like UFOs, the paranormal, and lost civilizations like to think that the so-called "skeptics" who accept conventional views on everything without question are actually true believers in the status quo, and those of us on the fringe, who question conventional ideas, are the true skeptics. But if we are truly skeptical, we must also question and feel free to criticize fringe beliefs that do not seem to be based on facts or logic. An example would be the books of Zechariah Sitchin. Sitchin (7/11/1920-10/9/2010) was an economist, not an archaeologist, and most certainly not an astronomer. He taught himself to read ancient Sumerian, studied Sumerian myths, and constructed an elaborate theory devoid of logic or any real factual foundation.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 2

Inside Sitchin's inanities is a central core of truth - the visitation of ET's in humanity's past. Likewise, Velikovsky, despite his impossibile notions, pointed the way to the non-uniformitarian viewpoint and the influence of astronomical events on human culture. Establishing an insidious truth may require a provisional, temporary myth to prepare the ground for it. Is it just a coincidence that Sitchin, Velikovsky, Marx, Freud, etc., were Jewish in origin? I don't think so.

• Like 1

Inside Sitchin's inanities is a central core of truth - the visitation of ET's in humanity's past. Likewise, Velikovsky, despite his impossibile notions, pointed the way to the non-uniformitarian viewpoint and the influence of astronomical events on human culture. Establishing an insidious truth may require a provisional, temporary myth to prepare the ground for it. Is it just a coincidence that Sitchin, Velikovsky, Marx, Freud, etc., were Jewish in origin? I don't think so.

Considering that Marx denounced his Jewish heritage to become a Protestant then certainly one of your Pillars holds no Truth.

The article by Mr Stoecker however is well considered, and exposes some of the more ridiculous precepts behind "Nibiru".

• Like 2

I work with a fan of Sitchin, and when he starts referencing his interpretation of sumerian legends as historical fact I just smile and nod.

• Like 4

People shouldn't be to quick to dismiss Nibiru because even though the theory has no support from the scientific establishment (which is no indicator that it does not exist in my mind) similar hypothesis concerning a huge undetected planetary body or dwarf star companion to our own Sun have been put forward in the 'Tyche' and 'Nemesis' hypothesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyche_(hypothetical_planet)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(hypothetical_star)

I personally like to think that Nibiru is out there in some sense.

Inside Sitchin's inanities is a central core of truth - the visitation of ET's in humanity's past.

And your evidence is ....

• Like 1

I am not going to say that Zecharia Sitchin's work is fact, nor do I offer any other explanation for our origins. However, I will say that you as a self-described "open-minded skeptic", who does nautomatically accept mainstream science and/or archeology answers/theories as truth

People shouldn't be to quick to dismiss Nibiru because even though the theory has no support from the scientific establishment (which is no indicator that it does not exist in my mind) similar hypothesis concerning a huge undetected planetary body or dwarf star companion to our own Sun have been put forward in the 'Tyche' and 'Nemesis' hypothesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyche_(hypothetical_planet)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(hypothetical_star)

I personally like to think that Nibiru is out there in some sense.

It's there in some sense but it's not in some retrograde orbit around the Sun.Besides Niburu is reputed to be very big.So if it's really big it's bound to be a gas giant.And this is supposed to be the home of the Annuraki. So how do a supposedly humanoid race build dwellings on hydrogen,methane and helium gas?Do their buildings float in the sky?Or do they live permantly in spaceships?And because Niburu's a bottomless void of gas how do they get the essential ores to harnass power and build their structures if they are so technologically advanced?It's orbit takes it to the farthest reaches of space.The last time I checked Mercury,Mars,Earth and Venus are not beyond the Oort Cloud.They have got plenty of asteroids at their disposal but Iridium can get a little bit tedious after a time.So the structures to support life are not present to support a planet with an eccentric orbit.Even if it was a rocky planet it's still going to be very tricky.

And besides how can Marduk be in two places at the same time?Because they can't be both a Sumerian god and a rogue planet.Something's got to give.However Sitchin is living in cloud- cuckoo land anyway.Not even Van Daniken went as far as that.

Edited by G Donnelly
  • Like 1

And your evidence is ....

Vitrification!

• Like 3

In fact, the Bible is essentially correct; there was a global flood giving rise to the Biblical legend and the legend of Atlantis.

Global flood? And that gave rise to the legend of Atlantis? What about Plato and Donnelly?

Wut?

I am not going to say that Zecharia Sitchin's work is fact, nor do I offer any other explanation for our origins. However, I will say that you as a self-described "open-minded skeptic", who does nautomatically accept mainstream science and/or archeology answers/theories as truth

Are you saying because you have not seen it it might be true??

Mainstream has a couple of majors on it's side, like fossils. I can actually donk you on the head with proof, and for space, you do not even have to buy a telescope, you can book time at your local observatory. The claim is so full of obvious holes.

I was watching an interesting doco on the British Space race last night, some numpty on an old TV show wearing blackout goggles pretended to speak for Venusians and Martians. He looked a total idiot, and as we now know, full of it too. I wonder how people like that get enough exposure to actually get that much attention? Who would be dim enough to believe stuff like that?

• Like 2