Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Put My Mind At Rest?

GoldenSilence

Hi everyone, wondering if any of you could offer an explanation for a weird occurrence that's been happening in my house these past few weeks.

Basically, our hall light at the top of the stairs has been switching off by itself on three separate occasions in about two weeks, the most recent being just a few hours ago. We always leave it on of a night and it's happened only at night.

I live with my mum and dad. The first incident it was just me and my mum in the house. My mum was in bed next door. My light in my room was off and I noticed the hall light go out. I thought the electrics had gone but my light came on fine. I went out into the hall and I called to my mum but she didn't answer as she was asleep so I just switched it back on and assumed she'd turned it off. The next morning I asked her if she'd switched it off and she said she hasn't.

The next one was when we were all in the house. My mum was asleep on the sofa downstairs and my dad was asleep in the bedroom next door. I heard him go downstairs for a drink and when he came back up he came into my room to ask me if I'd turned the hall light off. I told him I hadn't and he said it was on when he went downstairs as he wouldn't walk down the stairs in the dark and when he came back up it was off. I couldn't offer an explanation.

Now a few hours ago my mum came to bed upstairs. I was in the bathroom with the door shut and heard her go in her room. When I came out of the bathroom the hall light was off again, despite it being on when I went in there. I asked my mum if she'd turned it off and she said no.

Anyone think of a reason for this? I'm a rational person but can't help being a little spooked by this. Anybody think what could be causing this? Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi GoldenSilence,

Agree with Skater Boy. Also, I'd keep an eye on the position of the switches if you are able. That may narrow down where either the fault is or if something else is happening. Might be quite tricky to do if there are three of you in the house though.

Question - I'm assuming that this light is mulit-switched since it's on the stairs? I.E. there's a switch at the bottom and top of the stairs.

If so, what I'm getting at is this - the switch can be in the "off" position and the light can still be on because it was turned on with the other switch. If that's the case, then I'm fairly certain you have an electrical related problem. Could be a short, a bad fuse/circuit, a lose wire at the switch, or even a light bulb that is starting to go bad.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Turns out the bulb was faulty! :lol: Thank god for failing electrics and shame on me for not being more rational! :rolleyes:

We've changed the bulb now, hopefully no more black outs will occur!

• Like 4

Turns out the bulb was faulty! :lol: Thank god for failing electrics and shame on me for not being more rational! :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting this !!!!!!

I wish you had waited a week or so. Just to see how many people told you you have a ghost, and to sprinkle salt, burn sage, etc,etc,etc....

It is nice to see a post like this, it shows how easily someone can think " paranormal ".

Glad it is fixed.... :tu:

• Like 2

I think we have a tendancy to start thinking "oooooh what if it's a ghost". I think it's probably down to so many paranormal things out there such as films, TV, media etc. I am a believer but always try and see the rational first, as I'd say that around 95% of what we think are paranormal experiences can be rationally explained, with around 5% being unexplained (just my own opinion from what I see myself, no studies to back this up lol). Even then the unexplained isn't always Paranormal, maybe we just don't really understand it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

Thank you for posting this !!!!!!

I wish you had waited a week or so. Just to see how many people told you you have a ghost, and to sprinkle salt, burn sage, etc,etc,etc....

It is nice to see a post like this, it shows how easily someone can think " paranormal ".

Glad it is fixed.... :tu:

Hehe, I will wait a bit longer next time. Build up the suspense ;)

Exactly. I think it was because it happened more than once, my imagination started going a bit wild! Next time I will know to go to the most likely explanation first!

i am very glad that you electrics have been resolved, but in future would recommend you wake your parents up and get them to look at anything like this, you can not take chances with dodgy electrics.