Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns save lives thread

F3SS

Looks like I've got my work cut out then.

Well if you just want to make Brazillian posts, you could always just post in Portugese... :innocent:

• Like 1

"Police are looking for this second suspect, who is said to be of medium build and who was last seen wearing black."

Translation...he was black. If he had been white it would have been widely reported.

• Like 2

"Police are looking for this second suspect, who is said to be of medium build and who was last seen wearing black."

Translation...he was black. If he had been white it would have been widely reported.

I didn't draw your conclusion but I thought that was a terribly vague description too. Attention: Burglar At Large Last seen Wearing Black

I didn't draw your conclusion but I thought that was a terribly vague description too. Attention: Burglar At Large Last seen Wearing Black

You can always bet if the they don't say caucasion or have a picture it will be a minority of some sort.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

You can always bet if the they don't say caucasion or have a picture it will be a minority of some sort.

The sources source is NBC. What can you expect? The truth?

• Like 3

Intruder shot dead at home of rural Colorado prosecutor

An intruder who forced his way into the mountain home of a Colorado deputy district attorney was shot dead by either the prosecutor or her police officer husband, authorities said on Tuesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/03/us-usa-colorado-prosecutor-idUSBRE93201C20130403

• Like 1

HAZLETON, Pa. (AP) — Police have identified a suspected intruder who was shot by a northeastern Pennsylvania homeowner, but say they're still investigating the incident.

Hazleton police tell WNEP-TV the suspected burglar is 26-year-old Zachary Dangelo, of Freeland.

Police say the homeowner, whom they are not naming, came home about noon Saturday and found Dangelo inside, apparently trying to steal some items.

Police say the homeowner shot Dangelo in the pelvic area.

Police say Dangelo remains hospitalized in stable condition.

Online court records do not list any criminal charges against Dangelo.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Police-ID-home-intruder-shot-in-northeastern-Pa-4402338.php

• Like 1

ARMED GRANDMOTHER OF 10 GIVES BURGLAR WAY MORE THAN HE COULD HANDLE: ‘DID I HIT YOU?’

An armed grandmother proved too much to handle for one home intruder in Spokane, Wash. Police say the gun-toting granny held the suspected burglar at gunpoint until officers arrived.

Sandy Mize, a grandmother of 10, first fired a warning shot and then held 35-year-old Sean Denny at gunpoint in her living room, KXLY-TV reports. The suspect did attempt to flee at one point but officers quickly apprehended him in her backyard early Wednesday morning.

“I told him I was armed… He kept coming, so I started backing up,” she told KREM-TV.

That’s when she fired a warning shot at the burglary suspect, not hitting him but sending a clear message. The suspect laid on the couch unresponsive for a short period of time, the grandmother explained.

“I asked him, ‘Did I hit you?’ There was no response, no movement,” she said. Mize then called 911.

Mize’s neighbors are proud of the grandmother for defending herself from the burglar.

“I think it’s great,” Vicki Plastino told KXLY. “She’s wonderful.”

Denny, who reportedly went into Mize’s house after burglarizing a nearby business, has been charged with burglar and resisting arrested. He is being held on a $25,000 bond.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/04/armed-grandmother-of-10-gives-burglar-way-more-than-he-could-handle-did-i-hit-you/

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I've been slacking here but I've got to post this one. It's close to home and made national news. I drive past it a few hundred times a year and buy smokes almost right next door. A literal mom and pop music store about a half mile down the same road I had an office on for years that we left just last month.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/04/27/man-shoots-kills-intruder-at-bethel-park-business/

Man Killed During Assault On Business Owners

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – One man is dead and a husband and wife are in the hospital after an attack at their Bethel Park business.

Police say Sylvia and Alfred Armen, who own Armen’s House of Music on Library Road, were assaulted by a man who entered their store with a club, prompting Alfred Armen to shoot him.

The incident happened around noon and when police say a 32-year-old man first entered the store and left, then returned later and assaulted Sylvia Armen with a club.

“And that’s when the assault on the wife occurred and Mr. Armen came to her rescue,” said Bethel Park Police Chief John Mackey.

According to our news partners at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the suspect has been identified as Andrew Moore, 31, of Venetia.Her husband, Alfred Armen, then got into a scuffle with Moore and eventually fatally shot him with a handgun.

“Violent struggle ensued and the owner of the music store shot and killed the intruder,” Mackey said.

Both Armens – who are in their 70s – were taken to the hospital with head injuries.

No motive for the attack has been determined at this time. An autopsy on Moore is scheduled to take place on Sunday.

Police and County Detectives are investigating the incident.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 2

One of the reasons I have guns.

Around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, Castle Rock Police received a call that there was a suspicious man with a gun hiding in the bushes near Appleton Way and S. Ridge Rd.

Around 7 a.m., Castle Rock Police were able to arrest the suspect who allegedly fired on police Wednesday night.

When police arrived on the scene Wednesday night, they determined there was a domestic-violence incident in the area. Their investigation led them a few blocks away to a home in the 1200 block of South Ridge Road where a man shot several rounds at the officers on scene.

None of the officers were injured. The officers did return fire but did not injure the suspect.

Not more than a block from my home and we live in what would be called a "nice" area.

Nibs

• Like 2

Thanks. I probably don't. I'll check them out later. There are so many of these stories and I actually forgot about this thread for a while and I know I missed a ton. This thread is as much about the stories as it is about making a point. Duplicate stories are ok. BTW, the neighborhood of the story I posted last night couldn't be nicer or more suburban.

• Like 2

Store Owner With Shotgun to His Head Thinks of His Kids During Robbery and Gets ‘Really Angry’ — Here’s What He Did Next

A robber armed with a shotgun entered a package store in Irvington, Ala. on Monday and demanded all the cash from the register. The criminal later discovered that he threatened the wrong guy — a father whose kids meant so much to him that he displayed unthinkable bravery when his life was in immediate danger.

The owner of the store, who asked to remain anonymous, said the robbery occurred five minutes before closing time on Monday. He was restocking beer when investigators say 34-year-old Charles Steele entered Sandie’s Beer Wine and Spirits in Irvington, Ala., with a sawed-off shotgun and ordered the owner to give him all the cash from the register.

“He had a shotgun and held it to my head. I saw my life passing by and I thought I wasn’t going to see my kids anymore. That’s why I got really angry. That’s why I went after him,” the store owner told WPMI-TV.

And when he says he “went after him,” he means it. The store owner pulled out his own gun and fired at the robber. He then followed the suspect out of the store and continued to fire at him as he tried to escape in a white Dodge Charger, according to Mobile County Sheriff Sam Cochran.

“That’s the second time I’ve shot a gun ever in my life and I couldn’t believe that I hit him,” the owner recalled.

The man said he still gets “jittery” every time the door rings at his store. He is apparently considering closing the store over the traumatic incident.

Continued... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/30/store-owner-with-shotgun-to-his-head-thinks-of-his-kids-during-robbery-and-gets-really-angry-heres-what-he-did-next/

• Like 2

Here, I'd like to start a thread where stories of guns saving lives and properties can be posted instead of making a new thread for every story that must be told. The blaze does an excellent job of posting these stories almost daily. While we are inundated with mind numbing reasonings on restrcition from the likes of Dianne Feinstein and carelessly shoot your shotgun through your front door if you're spooked Joe Biden it seems that we need a one stop area filled with daily tales on the upside of responsible gun ownership. All the stories like that get spread too thin and overlooked. Here, we can have a consolidation of reasoning that can't be ignored. Only time will tell if fellow UMers like this idea. But I'll start. Here goes...

Guns are great!

They allow you to hunt, have fun and defend your property. When it comes to shooters it isnt the gun that kills but the mentally ill person pulling the trigger. So why ruin guns for everyone?

Better screening of gun liscene applicants is needed instead to spot the nutters.

• Like 3

The officers then asked Blackmore to show his concealed carry permit, which the primarily Republican state allows.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294546/Marine-concealed-carry-permit-stops-man-beating-woman.html#ixzz2RzYLJflQ

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I got a kick out of this part in the Daily Mail link from Nibs. Like you can't legally own a gun in all states. :P

• Like 1

too bad the dude will be out in 2 days, and be back to beating the s...t out of the same woman, this time with no one around.

it is her, that should have a gun, the f,,,k shoul be afraid of her, her shooting him if he assaults her again. not the passer by.

• Like 2

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith's store.

Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith's employee Dorothy Espinoza says, "He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people."

Espinoza says, the knife wielding man seriously injured two people. "There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms."

Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/conceal-and-carry-stabbing-salt-lake-city-smiths/NDNrL1gxeE2rsRhrWCM9dQ.cspx

• Like 3

This one's interesting.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/06/sometimes-armed-home-intruders-just-have-to-learn-the-hard-way/

SOMETIMES ARMED HOME INTRUDERS JUST HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY

An armed intruder was shot by a Georgia homeowner early Monday morning after he unlawfully forced his way into a home in Fulton County.

The Fulton County Sheriff’s Department said the incident occurred just after midnight on Monday. The gunman reportedly gained entry by breaking the door down. The noise sent the male homeowner, identified as 34-year-old Camron Vawter, scrambling to retrieve his firearm.

Vawter told police he then shot the gunman, disarmed him and then called the police, WSBT-TV reports.

In a surprising twist, police later identified the intruder as Michael Righter, 41, who is apparently going through a divorce with a woman who was present in Vawter’s home at the time the conflict occurred.

“Righter was airlifted to Memorial Hosptial, where he was last listed in critical condition,” the report adds.

The investigation into the shooting is ongoing but criminal charges are expected against Righter, according to police.

Could the homeowner have been counting on this?

• Like 1

This one is really two stories. One about poor policing and one about a store manager firing a gun to effectively scare off the bad guys who were armed.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/08/dallas-cops-take-an-hour-to-respond-to-armed-robbery-and-wait-until-you-hear-the-reason-why/

Dallas Cops Take an Hour to Respond to Armed Robbery — and Wait Until You Hear the Reason Why

A Dallas store manager was working at Pepe’s Grocery on Sunday night when a group of four armed men attempted to rob the place, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Joe Cho, originally of Korea, has worked at the store for roughly 17 years and saw the intruders demanding employees to turn over the money from the safety of his office.

Without delay, Cho emerged with his .38 caliber revolver and fired at least two shots at the suspects. They immediately fled, and Cho frantically called 911 to report the altercation.

Cho says he stuck around at the store for about twenty minutes and when help never came, he went home.

The Dallas Morning News continues:

Asked if he was surprised or upset by the Dallas police response to his call for help, he said, “
upset, definitely
.”

Twenty minutes. What the hell
,” said Cho, a native of Korea who moved to the area 30 years ago.

According to public records,
it was nearly another hour before officers arrived
at the scene at 12:15 a.m. Cho said officers
called him at home after 1 a.m.
and asked him to come back to his store, which he did, despite the fact that he was not at all happy about it.

I’m at home safe, everything, I relax right now
,” Cho said. “
Then you call me about an hour something later, you want me to come back over here.”
[Emphasis added]

The Dallas Police subsequently released this message:

The Dallas Police Department is currently looking into all the facts and circumstances surrounding the robbery offense that occurred at Pepe’s Grocery, 4819 Bernal Drive. One suspect is in custody however detectives are pursuing additional leads to determine if other individuals are involved.

The Dallas Police subsequently released this message:

The Dallas Police Department is currently looking into all the facts and circumstances surrounding the robbery offense that occurred at Pepe’s Grocery, 4819 Bernal Drive. One suspect is in custody however detectives are pursuing additional leads to determine if other individuals are involved.

Local media pressed the police for an explanation, and apparently a spokesperson responded in an email (via the Dallas Observer): “The caller had a very heavy accent and was speaking very quickly…The call taker had a very difficult time understanding the information and did not hear the caller say ‘shot’ or ‘shoot.’”

Police released the 911 audio, and you can listen for yourself. Would you have understood that a robbery had occurred?

[media=]

[/media]

Haven't heard the audio myself yet.

Edited by F3SS

Most home invaders... robbers.... are cowards. They are looking for easy money and will go in with a gun in hopes of intimidating the home owner if they are there. If the home owner has a gun, the robbers will most likely leave ASAP. You see this all the time in dime store robberys. The guy goes in and demands money. When the clerk drops down and grabs a gun, the robber almost immediately flees.

If someone comes in your house and WANTS to murder people then again having a gun is better then not. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that the proportion of robbers versus intentional murders is very high.

It is very common for Anti-Gun activists to go around saying how many people are killed by guns, but they never know how many of those people were violent criminals, or robbers who were aiming to cause them harm.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

HOUSTON – A home invasion suspect was shot and wounded by a resident Tuesday afternoon in southwest Houston.

Three suspects broke down the door of the home in the 8200 block of Braeburn Valley near Bissonnet.

They shoved the young homeowner’s son into a closet while they rummaged through the house.

The victim got out of the closet, grabbed a gun and confronted the robbers.

"There was a gun battle inside the home," HPD Sgt. Jerri Brandon said.

The suspect missed. The victim didn’t. He shot the suspect twice, once in the leg and once in the neck.

The wounded robber ran to a nearby home where he collapsed, crying for help in Spanish. That’s where Craig Gaddis found him.

"The owner, thank God for rights, he shot one of ‘em. And that’s as far as the guy got, collapsed on the concrete there," Craig Gaddis said. "You know, amen, we got one of them."

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Resident-shoots-robber-during-gunbattle-in-southwest-Houston-207431391.html

HOUSTON – A home invasion suspect was shot and wounded by a resident Tuesday afternoon in southwest Houston.

Three suspects broke down the door of the home in the 8200 block of Braeburn Valley near Bissonnet.

They shoved the young homeowner’s son into a closet while they rummaged through the house.

The victim got out of the closet, grabbed a gun and confronted the robbers.

"There was a gun battle inside the home," HPD Sgt. Jerri Brandon said.

The suspect missed. The victim didn’t. He shot the suspect twice, once in the leg and once in the neck.

The wounded robber ran to a nearby home where he collapsed, crying for help in Spanish. That’s where Craig Gaddis found him.

"The owner, thank God for rights, he shot one of ‘em. And that’s as far as the guy got, collapsed on the concrete there," Craig Gaddis said. "You know, amen, we got one of them."

http://www.khou.com/...-207431391.html

That poor guy, it must hurt being shot in the neck... This kid should have just hid in the closet and called the cops. He must not have attended a university yet and become an academic.

• Like 1

^^^ Because only then can you begin to understand that you need to begin to understand the bad guys and not fight them.

• Like 2

^^^ Because only then can you begin to understand that you need to begin to understand the bad guys and not fight them.

I'm sure those Spanish fellows who BROKE DOWN THE FIRKING DOOR... were just trying to mess up the place a little before giving their vacuum cleaner sales pitch. The homeowner shot those poor ethnic salespeople... How sad.

LOL

• Like 2

I'm sure those Spanish fellows who BROKE DOWN THE FIRKING DOOR... were just trying to mess up the place a little before giving their vacuum cleaner sales pitch. The homeowner shot those poor ethnic salespeople... How sad.

LOL

That's how I understand it :)