Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns save lives thread

F3SS

Anyways we should keep this discussion out of this thread. Or give it it's own thread so that we don't derail this thread :)

• Like 3

My point is, you cannot pat yourself on the back about how many times guns have saved lives without putting that fact into the context of how many more Americans have died as a consequence of your countries fetish for guns. Its dishonest at best.

The highest deaths by gun rate (and one of the highest homicide rates in general) in the developed world is not a statistic which is going to go away :tu:

Br Cornelius

My point is, you cannot pat yourself on the back about how many times guns have saved lives without putting that fact into the context of how many more Americans have died as a consequence of your countries fetish for guns. Its dishonest at best.

The highest deaths by gun rate (and one of the highest homicide rates in general) in the developed world is not a statistic which is going to go away :tu:

Br Cornelius

you were told few times already, MAKE YOUR POINTS SOMEPLACE ELSE, what you doing now is TROLLING.

and it would help greatly, if posters here didn't FEED THE TROLL

• Like 3

you were told few times already, MAKE YOUR POINTS SOMEPLACE ELSE, what you doing now is TROLLING.

Carry on feeding your fantasy that guns make you safer, just ignore the facts :w00t:

In a closed bubble, a dog can circle for ever without interference :tu:

Br Cornelius

I don't get it; this is a thread about guns. Are you trying to censor a poster?

• Like 2

http://americangunfacts.com/

It's all been said before but some people are so bent on hating everything about the United States that they won't listen.

In the decade following the Labor party's election and banning of handguns in 1997, the number of recorded violent attacks soared by 77% to 1.2 million in '07- or more than 2 attacks every minute!9

I would love to dig into the analysis used on this site but its difficult since methods are not discussed. However I spotted at least one factual error in a quick scan though;

In the decade following the Labor party's election and banning of handguns in 1997, the number of recorded violent attacks soared by 77% to 1.2 million in '07- or more than 2 attacks every minute!9

hand guns have been illegal in the UK for well over 70years. How a ficticious banning of handguns can lead to a 77% rise in violent crime is frankly beyond me. Magic maybe.

Statistics and damn lies.

For a bit more of a balanced analysis try;

http://factcheck.org...c-vs-gun-facts/

But among advanced countries, the U.S. homicide rate stands out. “We seem to be an average country in terms of violence and aggression,” says Harvard’s Hemenway. “What we have is huge homicide rates compared to anybody else.”

Says Wintemute: “The difference is that in this country violence involves firearms and firearms change the outcome.”

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Carry on feeding your fantasy that guns make you safer,

Br Cornelius

trolling is bad, mkay.

Edited by aztek

Then stop it and you'll get good :tu:

Br Cornelius

i,am good, and you are a troll. and you belong on my ignore list, good bye troll

• Like 1

i,am good, and you are a troll. and you belong on my ignore list, good bye troll

You should read that link I posted - very balanced and not particularly anti-gun - but it clearly supports my statements about American homicide rates and refutes many of the myths in the website you supplied.

If you want to learn give it a go rather than going all huffy.

Br Cornelius

I don't get it; this is a thread about guns. Are you trying to censor a poster?

Mr. Merton, this isn't really a gun debate thread. It is a thread about the instances where guns save lives. This thread stayed on topic for a couple months and almost 90 posts which is a rare thing and then Ché Guerilla showed up to derail it. There are a thousand other threads to debate guns in general but this one has a particular purpose that in it self can not be argued with hence the many articles posted here. There'd be many more if I wasn't such a slacker about it but its been going well until now.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2

Mr. Merton, this isn't really a gun debate thread. It is a thread about the instances where guns save lives. This thread stayed on topic for a couple months and almost 90 posts which is a rare thing and then Ché Guerilla showed up to derail it. There are a thousand other threads to debate guns in general but this one has a particular purpose that in it self can not be argued with hence the many articles posted here. There'd be many more if I wasn't such a slacker about it but its been going well until now.

A back slapping exercise to support your bubble view of reality. I avoided it before because of its attempted narrow focus and intent to support the claim that guns are just fine and dandy and do nothing but good. Bull.

Br Cornelius

A back slapping exercise to support your bubble view of reality. I avoided it before because of its attempted narrow focus and intent to support the claim that guns are just fine and dandy and do nothing but good. Bull.

Br Cornelius

I never said that mr. One track mind. I said just this thread is about the good side of guns. Have all the opinions you want but many good people are alive today because they had a gun and the proof is in the articles posted here and I dare you to argue otherwise because as far as this particular thread is concerned you can't argue that statement. Go take your communist dump somewhere else.

• Like 3

I never said that mr. One track mind. I said just this thread is about the good side of guns. Have all the opinions you want but many good people are alive today because they had a gun and the proof is in the articles posted here and I dare you to argue otherwise because as far as this particular thread is concerned you can't argue that statement. Go take your communist dump somewhere else.

Ya'll just ignore him! He rarely participates in the myriad of active confrontational gun threads. He is simply being a thorn in your sides now because he doesn't have anything better to do.

• Like 2

225063_558827094141442_1031490088_n.jpg

on the other hand ....

a good joke is good enough ... but then ....

you gotta love them gun ... owners //

:lol:

:yes: it's all in good fun ... no need to point them guns at me ...

~

That is an old joke and I still love it! :w00t: Cool how they made it look like a real newspaper though.

• Like 1

Ok we should report Cornelleus to the mods or something. He just doesn't get it - stop trolling!!!

• Like 1

The number of incidents involving a gun saving a person or persons pales in comparison to those who die from gun violence or accidental shootings, suicides etc. That you want to have a nice thread discussing all the happy endings involving guns is just that a nice idea, it isn't a truthful picture of guns in general. it's like attempting to make a thread discussing the possible small medical information gleaned from Nazi doctors torturing people at concentration camps but refusing to mention all of the additional atrocities that went on at the concentration camp. It isn't trolling it's called balancing the truth and presenting facts.

• Like 1

The number of incidents involving a gun saving a person or persons pales in comparison to those who die from gun violence or accidental shootings, suicides etc. That you want to have a nice thread discussing all the happy endings involving guns is just that a nice idea, it isn't a truthful picture of guns in general. it's like attempting to make a thread discussing the possible small medical information gleaned from Nazi doctors torturing people at concentration camps but refusing to mention all of the additional atrocities that went on at the concentration camp. It isn't trolling it's called balancing the truth and presenting facts.

Indeed. Bubble popping time.

I have been involved in gun discussions but stopped when I realized how dishonest the arguments were and how rabidly some Americans want their guns what ever the cost.

Report away. It ain't trolling to tell some home truths :tu: .

Br Cornelius

Here's the bottom line people. The good, the bad and the ugly I see all sides to guns but I only see one side concerning the second amendment. It's here, it's right, it's ours and it isn't going anywhere.

And why you so worried about our supposed "gun culture" supposedly influencing other countries? You afraid people might like it? I don't see how given that the rest of the world sees US as barbarians and the rest of the world has 'progressed' beyond such barbarian tactics or so I'm told time and time again.

After all these months this thread has been here going well and on topic you progressive types have to come and shlt all over it pretty much like you do every time you see people enjoying themselves and minding their own business. I don't care though. My opinion on gun rights is the majority opinion in this country and I enjoy seeing you seeing red when freedom prevails.

And sorry Michelle. I can't ignore it.

• Like 3

As I said, if you didn't export your gun-ho attitude to "POLICING" the world I would be at all concerned about your countries propensity for killing people with guns.

Br Cornelius

Or why don't we have a thread talking about all of the advantages of having electricity and new tech. Then some jackass is going to come along and preach about all of the people that are accidently killed by it, the children that stick their fingers into sockets, the executions by it, the poor people who die while stealing the wiring for it or the innocent pets and wildlife that die chewing through wires...not to mention wildfires that take out thousands of acres...all caused by electricity.

I say BAN electricity!!! It has spread far enough!

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

Or why don't we have a thread talking about all of the advantages of having electricity and new tech. Then some jackass is going to come along and preach about all of the people that are accidently killed by it, the children that stick their fingers into sockets, the executions by it, the poor people who die while stealing the wiring for it or the innocent pets and wildlife that die chewing through wires...not to mention wildfires that take out thousands of acres...all caused by electricity.

I say BAN electricity!!! It has spread far enough!

Funny but electricity wasn't designed to kill people - spot the difference ?

Br Cornelius

Funny but electricity wasn't designed to kill people - spot the difference ?

Br Cornelius

Not originally, but were guns made to hunt for food or to kill an enemy?

Not originally, but were guns made to hunt for food or to kill an enemy?

Kill an enemy, designed for war intended to kill a person - little doubt about it.

In an arms race everyone loses and America seems to be a proof of that. Personally you may think you are safer, but statistically you couldn't be more wrong.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest