Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns save lives thread

F3SS

I've been on message boards where that sort of moderation takes place. There was one that rigidly prohibited anything unscientific, that really irritated me, as I am about as pro-science and generally skeptical as you can get.

You know, and I apologize for being part of it, but it appears to me this board has now be hijacked by a discussion on proper posting etiquette rather than about guns.

• Like 2

All anyone has done is make requests for people to stay on topic.

And I believe they are, or, lets say, they should be.

It's pretty plain that the pro-gun folks want a place where they can post their views and feel safe they will not be contaminated by people who think differently. That strikes me as revealing a very weak argument.

As far as I am concerned, I know I stuck well within the topic :yes: ..I even made a post to those who disagree with the guns, in the hopes to show them more to think about...

Way I see it, rights should never be stripped, not if it means costing you your own life..

I just happen to notice Franks post and could see what he is trying to say...

I also know that many OP starters have a right to ask - Please can we just stick to the topic? It is only fair to listen...If the OP is ignored, then I'd report it ...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

There are two and usually more sides to almost all issues. As a generally rule people form an opinion long before they are fully informed and then censor what they hear about it so that they never become fully informed.

• Like 1

It's pretty plain that the pro-gun folks want a place where they can post their views and feel safe they will not be contaminated by people who think differently. That strikes me as revealing a very weak argument.

If I started a thread devoted to police officers killed in the line of duty it would not be appropriate for people to start posting things about police corruption or how much they hate the police. Furthermore, the MODS would keep it in line and delete any such posts.

• Like 3

There are two and usually more sides to almost all issues. As a generally rule people form an opinion long before they are fully informed and then censor what they hear about it so that they never become fully informed.

True, but think of it this way - Say you made a thread about something you STRONGLY supported ( Like the OP starter F3SS has done ) and you did so in the hopes people will come in and discuss the SAME issues with you, then you may feel ticked off if a few entered to kick up over it and post opposing views, then before you know it, the thread you built is a mess.. You own a right to say - People lets keep this to what my thread is about... F3SS has the same right in this situation...

It is true, people will always hold opposing views regardless, but ideally we are supposed to stick to the topic at hand.. In this case it's about people who have in fact used guns ( not always by shooting them ) to save lives.. This is in fact most true...I know, I have read dozens of them.

Question - If the media reported more and more stories of people who have saved lives with a gun, how many of us would think - Well I guess it is a good thing you have a right to protect yourself?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 4

If I started a thread devoted to police officers killed in the line of duty it would not be appropriate for people to start posting things about police corruption or how much they hate the police. Furthermore, the MODS would keep it in line and delete any such posts.

You are right, and that is because hate for the police and police corruption would be off topic. But pointing out that death is one of the dangers of police work, and that the police kills themselve would be productive contrary input into the conversation.

Same here. No one has expressed a hate towards guns, though, only a contrary view, which is on topic in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't often start threads because I don't have an agenda, but I can see where people who have an agenda don't like it if people with a different view interfere with their propaganda.

• Like 4

Indeed, I think you hit the nail on the head there.

No one gets an uncontested fanboy thread on such a contentious subject. Simple.

Br Cornelius

Sorry, i hit post early.

Sure, you can't regulate everything, but why not the most dangerous?

the most dangerous are the ppl that commit crimes, and those don't see how their attempts fail, and try to do more of what is proven to fail. i would love to control and regulate them.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

the bottom line is the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, that is a fact. and bad guys will always have guns. that is also a fact. whoever doesn't see it, or thinks taking guns away from good guys will leave bad guys less chances to get theirs, this is extreme stupidity, and disconnected from reality.

and don't bring up other countries, it is the same as applying ways to fix a car to treating a human, apples and oranges. there has been to many posts that debunk this myth, i wont go over it again, but i's sure ignorant idiots will ask to prove it again.

• Like 1

So i can't bring up the Country i live in? Where gun controls actually ended up working?

the bottom line is the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, that is a fact. and bad guys will always have guns. that is also a fact. whoever doesn't see it, or thinks taking guns away from good guys will leave bad guys less chances to get theirs, this is extreme stupidity, and disconnected from reality.

and don't bring up other countries, it is the same as applying ways to fix a car to treating a human, apples and oranges. there has been to many posts that debunk this myth, i wont go over it again, but i's sure ignorant idiots will ask to prove it again.

Why not compare other countries, the USA is not exceptional.

In other countries criminals with guns receive sentences so harsh it acts as a powerful disincentive to arm up, hence gun prevalence in other countries with prohibitions have extremely low gun ownership even among criminals. Gun crime is extremely rare and thats a simple incontestable fact.

It is another non-argument which begs exceptional-ism.

Br Cornelius

This thread seems to have become more of a debate over what the topic should be more than about the subject itself.

Generally it tends to be unpractical to enforce custom restrictions on a thread, this topic is entitled "Guns save lives" so I would propose that the concept be tackled from both sides.

Only allowing stories that represent one side of the argument isn't going to work.

• Like 5

San Bernardino burglar shot by homeowner

A San Bernardino homeowner shot a man who allegedly broke into his house late Saturday.

Police came to the 2200 block of West Mill Street at 11:24 p.m. and found Leonard Guerra, 35, of San Bernardino suffering from a gunshot wound inside the home.

Officers discovered that Guerra broke into the home, which was being renovated. The homeowner's daughter entered the residence to check on it and screamed for help when she saw Guerra. The intruder grabbed the woman.

The woman's father woke up, grabbed a handgun and confronted Guerra.

The father shot the intruder once when Guerra tried to attack him.

Paramedics took him to an area hospital where he was listed in critical, but stable condition. He is being held on suspicion of burglary and false imprisonment.

Read more: http://www.sbsun.com/ci_23472369/san-bernardino-burglar-shot-by-homeowner#ixzz2WPeXHSE4

• Like 3

Intruder shot dead in Helena area home

HELENA (AP) — A homeowner near Helena shot and killed an apparent intruder Wednesday, Lewis and Clark County authorities said.

The homeowner, who has not been identified, called emergency officials about 2:40 p.m. to report the intruder, said Capt. Jason Grimmis of the county sheriff's office.

The homeowner told authorities he saw a person inside as he was approaching the residence on Canyon Ferry Road, a few miles east of Helena. The homeowner went in and confronted the intruder, Grimmis said.

``It is believed that shots were fired as a result of the homeowner and the intruder seeing each other inside the home,'' he said.

The intruder left the home, got into a car and drove a short distance before crashing into a chain-link fence, the Independent Record reported (http://bit.ly/11bIohp ). Grimmis said the man died at the scene.

Authorities did not know the intruder's identity Wednesday afternoon, Grimmis said.

Sheriff's deputies, the Montana Highway Patrol, and Lewis and Clark County Coroner Mickey Nelson were investigating.

A person is allowed to use deadly force against an intruder under the state's ``Castle Doctrine'' if the person believes he may be harmed. It was unclear whether that self-defense law is applicable in this case.

http://mtstandard.com/news/local/intruder-shot-dead-in-helena-area-home/article_c1078c8a-c350-11e2-b522-001a4bcf887a.html

• Like 2

Alleged intruder shot dead in home

A man was shot dead after apparently breaking into a home southwest of Yuma early Monday morning.

According to the Yuma County Sheriff's Office, police received a call at about 1:22 a.m. of a possible intruder inside a home in the 14000 block of S. Avenue D. When deputies arrived, they found a man, 19, dead inside the home with a single gunshot wound.

The initial investigation showed that the homeowner was awakened by the sounds of a possible intruder inside the house. YCSO Capt. Eben Bratcher said the people inside the home did not know the man, and it appears that the homeowner shot him.

The dead man's identity is being withheld pending notification of next of kin. No other information was available as of Monday evening.

The case remains under investigation. Anyone with information should contact the Yuma County Sheriff's Office at 783-4427, or 78-CRIME to remain anonymous.

Read more: http://www.yumasun.com/articles/yuma-87733-dead-shot.html#ixzz2WPfTxPU0

• Like 2

Russellville Police: Armed intruder dies following shooting

RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. (KTHV) - Police said an intruder shot by a homeowner died of his injuries Thursday morning.

Police said just after 4 p.m. Wednesday they received a call about a shooting on the 1300 block of North Cleveland. Pope County EMS arrived on scene and took one patient to a local hospital, then they were airlifted to a hospital in Little Rock.

Thursday, police learned that the injured patient is the suspect. Police said the suspect had a firearm when he entered the home. The resident was home at the time and shot the suspect.

The suspect's name has not been released.

http://www.thv11.com/news/article/266319/2/Russellville-Police-Homeowner-shoots-armed-intruder-

NYPD: 10-year-old boy gets intruder's gun, fires shot

NEW YORK - A 10-year-old Brooklyn boy picked up a gun that was dropped by a would-be robber and fired a shot, police said Tuesday. No injuries were reported.

Two men in disguise knocked on the door to the house at around 5:30 p.m. Monday, and two teenage sisters opened the door, police said. The intruders pushed past them and went upstairs to the second floor. The owner of the home slammed a second-floor door on one of the would-be robber's arms.

The suspect dropped his gun, police said, and it was picked up by the owner's 10-year-old son, who fired a round that hit a wall. Police said one of the suspects fired back, but no one was hit and the men fled the home without stealing anything.

Police are investigating. There were other kids in the home at the time, but police said they didn't witness anything.

http://www.10news.com/news/nypd-10yearold-boy-grabs-intruders-gun-fires06042013

No charges filed against man who shot, killed intruder in home

ORANGEBURG, SC (WIS) -

Authorities will not file criminal charges against a man who shot and killed an intruder in his home last month.

Orangeburg County Sheriff Leroy Ravenell says the death of 21-year-old DeShawn Randolph has been classified as self-defense under the state's 'stand your ground' law.

"Autopsy results, evidence, and witness statements support the victim's rights according to South Carolina's Protection of Persons and Property Act," said Ravenell in a statement. "Unless contradicting evidence is developed, the homeowner will not be charged in this shooting."

Randolph used a shovel to break a back window of a home on King's Road near Orangeburg around 11 p.m. on May 26.

The homeowner grabbed a gun and fired several shots down the hallway killing Randolph.

http://www.wistv.com/story/22497040/no-charges-filed-against-man-who-shot-killed-intruder-in-home

• Like 2

Stand Your Ground Law: Montana Man Kills Intruder With Single Shot

A Montana man returned home on Wednesday and was confronted by a burglar.

Pursuant with Montana's castle doctrine law, also known as a Stand Your Ground law, the homeowner used a firearm he kept at his home to shoot the intruder once in the chest. The shot proved fatal as the intruder died fleeing the scene.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/44417/stand-your-ground-law-montana-man-kills-intruder-with-single-shot

• Like 2

All I see in both cases is that a gun took a life, not that it saved one. Nowhere it says that these persons could not have been rendered incapacitated without killing them. Wrong thread.

• Like 3

The lives taken deserved it. Without guns innocent people would have been killed. So retitle the thread 'Guns save the right lives'.

• Like 3

If these idiots valued their lives they so much they wouldn't invade other people's property where castle doctrines are in place. They brought it upon themselves.

• Like 3