Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns save lives thread

F3SS

And this thread has existed for months undisturbed. I don't get the sudden influx.

• Like 2

The lives taken deserved it. Without guns innocent people would have been killed. So retitle the thread 'Guns save the right lives'.

If these idiots valued their lives they so much they wouldn't invade other people's property where castle doctrines are in place. They brought it upon themselves.

And opinions of this type is the main reason people want guns out of the hands of irresponsibles.

• Like 1

Why are they saying they don't know whether the intruder had a weapon or not unless it's a political agenda? They know they simply aren't saying.

• Like 2

And this thread has existed for months undisturbed. I don't get the sudden influx.

Crying because they're loosing the gun control debate, is all it is. So, they start this c**** up.... :no:

Boo-hoo...You want to sit there and act like you guys are SO MUCH more enlightened the rest of us? Give me a break. You still have crime, the only difference is you can't defend yourself. If you want to be a victim, fine go ahead. I won't. And neither will my family. If .You trespass or try and rob us, we WILL SHOOT YOU. It's my property, and I can defend it and my family anyway I choose.

I'm sorry, but the same government who wants a national gun database, are the same idiots that are behind this whole PRISM system....You think I'm gonna trust them? Yeah, I'm keeping my guns. Don't like it? Well, that's just too bad, because it's my second amendment right. People should be allowed to defend themselves.

I think some people would be singing a different tune, if they were robbed/mugged/raped....

• Like 4

Why are they saying they don't know whether the intruder had a weapon or not unless it's a political agenda? They know they simply aren't saying.

Criminals will always be able to get guns because they do it ILLEGALLY.

• Like 1

Thanks F3SS. If we just ignore these haters hopefully they'll go away :)

• Like 1

@ question mark. How can you live with yourself when you put the lives of innocent people behind those of criminals? It's the criminals fault they were shot - had they not committed a crime nothing bad would have happened to them :)

• Like 1

Fact Sheet: Guns Save Lives

A. Guns save more lives than they take; prevent more injuries than they inflict

* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. 1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.

* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.

* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.

* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.

More from this -> https://www.gunowner...g/sk0802htm.htm

​I dunno if these are real facts or not.?. ....I just happen to come across the page while looking through stories about people using a gun to save a life..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

Thanks F3SS. If we just ignore these haters hopefully they'll go away :)

Lol, it might be easier for me to quit smoking.

• Like 1

I and many others never reported the incidents that saved our lives with a gun...so I know for a fact the numbers are higher, BM.

• Like 3

well ... a proper warning would do all a world of good ...

409584_390615547671190_1390459101_n.jpg

yup ... I wonder if they'll came back and let us know ...

~

• Like 4

I agree with the ideas that if criminals don't want to get shot dead, they shouldn't invade peoples homes.

• Like 5

Well, I'd rather kill an armed intruder whose intentions aren't fully understood, than have my neighbors read how my entire family was slaughtered by an armed intruder.

Sorry if I have hurt liberals and lawbreakers feelings. Not.

• Like 5

Well, I'd rather kill an armed intruder whose intentions aren't fully understood, than have my neighbors read how my entire family was slaughtered by an armed intruder.

Sorry if I have hurt liberals and lawbreakers feelings. Not.

Because burglers always have murderous intent, and always come armed.

Burgleries happen but they almost never end in assult on the home owner.

Its another bogus argument from people justifying their fetish.

Br Cornelius

I wonder what would have happened if the Montana man shot a police officer in a police intrusion situation.

OH Hulloo there you are ... you've just inherited one hundred millllll..... ahhhhh

*bang bang*

NOw who did you say you were agin ?

~

:lol:

Concerning some of the dubious statistics used by gun advocates claiming that the UK is more violent than the USA;

http://blog.skeptica...nt-than-the-us/

It also has to be said that the figures have to be considered in light of the fact that a significant minority of violent crimes (the real comparable ones) in the UK are a consequence of youths fighting after bing drinking. Can you imagine adding guns into that situation. America has tight underage and youth drinking laws - bing drinking is an unfortunate national habit of the UK. The point is that the real crime related violence in the UK, discounting drink related ones, is significantly lower than the headline figure after correction for differences in accounting between the UK and USA.

If you are going to base your position on dubious statistics, don't be surprised when your called on it and called a liar.

The plain fact is that one of the only readily comparable stat between the UK and the USA is the homicide rate, which has an unambigious definiate boundard (someone is dead at the hands of another), and on that count the USA is considerably more violent - aided primarily by the free availability of highly effective deadly weapons - GUNS.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Because burglers always have murderous intent, and always come armed.

Burgleries happen but they almost never end in assult on the home owner.

Its another bogus argument from people justifying their fetish.

Br Cornelius

I said armed Intruder. You said burglar.

See how stupid you look?

• Like 2

article-1196941-05900DF7000005DC-677_468x636.jpg

As I said Yamoto - not comparing like with like is the first sign of a dodgy argument.

Selectively quoting raw stats without any context or interpretation is snake oil salesman tactics.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Are you saying that this is due to the country's gun laws? And have you read Br Cornelius' link just above your post?

I said armed Intruder. You said burglar.

See how stupid you look?

Armed intruders are exceptionally rare in countries with gun controls.

See how stupid arguing that guns save lives looks now ? Criminals with guns kill, but countries without a gun culture do not have a whole class of armed criminals.

------------

Let it be said that this is far from a Europe vs America argument. Nearly half of American households (47%) do not own guns and many of those would like to see tighter gun control for their safety.

Br Cornelius

Yamato.

Don't know if you're aware of this, but what you've posted came from a right wing paper trying to convince people that Britain was going down the toilet.

Unfortunately they failed to inform their readers that there is a large difference between how the UK and USA defines violent crime.

In the UK it's any violence - from murder to a punch on the nose. In the USA it only applies to the most serious offences. Eg, murder, manslaughter and sexual offences.

That's why most sociologists look to the murder rate as a more accurate measure of violence. And there's no contest there. America's murder rate is quadruple that of Britain.

What you've posted compares apples with horses.

• Like 2

Yea well you know what we have guns they aren't going anywhere and criminals will have them and they will use them to killso our argument and this thread is legit. Almost every on topic article posted here has an intruder with a firearm. Are you psychic? I'm not. So hw the hell would I know what the intent of the guy who kicked down my door to steal my stuff is. I wouldn't and I would assume ill-intent. My house my property and no time to consider this strangers intent. You're arguments are boring and you all are just jacked because you've lost this argument. It's been debated extensively and bills have come and failed. They were defeated by a large margin and that's how it'll stay. We don't want your laws or your culture and you just have to accept that. Too bad.

• Like 3

Are you saying that this is due to the country's gun laws? And have you read Br Cornelius' link just above your post?

I'm saying that it's gun laws don't prevent it from winning the ugly contest for violent crime. Whatever Br was on about "snake oil" I have no idea. His link to some blog? And he's calling my facts "snake oil"? I'm not going to take that seriously sorry.

Selectively quoting raw stats without any context or interpretation is snake oil salesman tactics.

I don't even know what that means. We select violent crime stats because that's what we care about. If someone doesn't care about violent crime, they might reply with whatever that just said.

His link is answering to claims I didn't make. I never said that violent crime was 4 or 5 times worse. I never dropped a stat for the US that measures violent crime differently. The numbers that I just provided in a table that's impossible to misunderstand measures violent crime consistently across countries using EU metrics. Br and you too should acknowledge this.

• Like 2