Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns save lives thread

F3SS

it is not illegal for criminals to own guns in America, it is only illegal for them to use them to commit crime. Again when you can make such a basic mistake about the reality on the ground I have little faith in your prescriptions.

Br Cornelius

Absolute nonsense. You don't know what you're talking about. You should listen before you deny things you know nothing about.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6156364_federal-gun-laws-convicted-felons.html

• Like 1

In a society like the States, criminals will have guns. To effectively keep them away from criminals requires removing the sources, which tends to be other gun owners, so it is necessary to generally ban them.

Boundless cluelessness of the rule of law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Absolute nonsense. You don't know what you're talking about. You should listen before you deny things you know nothing about.

http://www.ehow.com/...ted-felons.html

Convicted fellons is not the same as been a criminal.

In a country awash with guns, the distinction is hardly material since with little effort almost anyone can obtain a gun without proving their ID. Without adequate registration and tracability the flow of guns to convicted fellons must be massive and the primary origin almost untracable.

It only takes one incident for a non-convicted criminal with a gun for a homicide stat to result.

The real difference here is that if I wanted to obtain a gun for a criminal act, it would both cost a significant sum of money and prove extremely difficult to aquire, if not impossible. This is why casual gun related homicide or injury is all but unknown in Northern Europe. Its all about the general culture when looking for the causes of gun related homicide. Change the culture and homicide's would likely drop significantly.

And Frank - I couldn't have put it better myself.

The way I see it, you have allowed the debate and agenda to be captured by an industry driven lobby group who's only interest is in seeing the proliferation of their products. Can anyone else see why that might not be such a wise idea ??

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Boundless cluelessness of the rule of law.

https://en.wikipedia...es_Constitution

Mmm. If you are loosing the argument, change the subject. Is that your idea?

Your implication is that in Vietnam we don't have rule of law? Remember I am not ignorant, like I guess many Americans are. I know about rule of law, and I also know about how it is abused in a lawyer dominated society where the vast majority of legislators are also lawyers. Further, I know how inefficient and burdened American society has become because of all the laws and lawsuits.

Edited by Frank Merton

Mmm. If you are loosing the argument, change the subject. Is that your idea?

Your implication is that in Vietnam we don't have rule of law? Remember I am not ignorant, like I guess many Americans are. I know about rule of law, and I also know about how it is abused in a lawyer dominated society where the vast majority of legislators are also lawyers. Further, I know how inefficient and burdened American society has become because of all the laws and lawsuits.

A general ban on guns in the US? Are you tossed? If you don't like the rule of law, Amend the Constitution. Good luck. You don't have a prayer. You make a lot of claims about the US that are just ridiculous. Months of paperwork to start a new business? Where do you get this crap? I started a business. Filled out the required paperwork in about 20 minutes and got the license from the Secretary of State in a week.

• Like 2

Convicted fellons is not the same as been a criminal.

In a country awash with guns, the distinction is hardly material since with little effort almost anyone can obtain a gun without proving their ID. Without adequate registration and tracability the flow of guns to convicted fellons must be massive and the primary origin almost untracable.

It only takes one incident for a non-convicted criminal with a gun for a homicide stat to result.

The real difference here is that if I wanted to obtain a gun for a criminal act, it would both cost a significant sum of money and prove extremely difficult to aquire, if not impossible. This is why casual gun related homicide or injury is all but unknown in Northern Europe. Its all about the general culture when looking for the causes of gun related homicide. Change the culture and homicide's would likely drop significantly.

And Frank - I couldn't have put it better myself.

The way I see it, you have allowed the debate and agenda to be captured by an industry driven lobby group who's only interest is in seeing the proliferation of their products. Can anyone else see why that might not be such a wise idea ??

Br Cornelius

Felons are criminals thus "it is not illegal for criminals to own guns in America" is an incorrect statement and you can't even admit it.

In a country "awash" with guns, homicides are far less than the global average, indicating that being awash with guns isn't the problem.

Lobbying is possible when government officials are corruptible. You trust the most bloodthirsty institution in the world to control free upstanding citizens and what is done with their guns. That's pretty ignorant of human history and the totality of violence of mankind.

• Like 4

Felons are criminals thus "it is not illegal for criminals to own guns in America" is an incorrect statement and you can't even admit it.

In a country "awash" with guns, homicides are far less than the global average, indicating that being awash with guns isn't the problem.

Lobbying is possible when government officials are corruptible. You trust the most bloodthirsty institution in the world to control free upstanding citizens and what is done with their guns. That's pretty ignorant of human history and the totality of violence of mankind.

You love comparing your country to third world countries cos that what you are doing here.

Are you saying America is a third world country?

It certainly seems to share many characteristics with some poor African and Caribbean states. Nothing to be proud of though.

And let me remind you - you got the civil state which and your citizens allowed to develop and best reflects their character. Again nothing to be proud of there.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

You love comparing your country to third world countries cos that what you are doing here.

Are you saying America is a third world country?

It certainly seems to share many characteristics with some poor African and Caribbean states. Nothing to be proud of though.

And let me remind you - you got the civil state which and your citizens allowed to develop and best reflects their character. Again nothing to be proud of there.

Br Cornelius

I wasn't excluding any countries when comparing to the global average. I'm not trying to be "proud of" anything here, I'm just correcting your mistakes like your quote above.

• Like 3

You don't seem to get that Americans are just really aggressive violent people. We volinteer in the hundreds of thousands to shot at people in the military. The US has been in a war footing for what... 12 years now.... And yet we still see hundreds of thousands of people still joining the military. We are dangerous people. We seek out people in the world to confront.

Simply taking away guns is not going to stop violence in the US.

Guns do save people, or at least drive off criminals.

Good points...

To speak on my own behalf on how I view it ....I personally do not think it would be a good idea if they banned guns in the US...There is hundreds of millions of guns in America, how could anyone expect the government to get all those guns back?

Banning the guns and stopping people from owning guns, is only going to leave the innocent defenceless, and the criminals with a large arsenal of weapons..I believe this is a fact.

Liberals are forever going on about ( when talking bout other foreign countries ) - Well you must respect their land, their culture, their rights and their laws..Why does this same line of thought not apply to Americans ? They have their culture, their laws and their rights... Why should they be singled out?

What people don't realise is, America is a country that has always had guns for a long time, and it is in their constitution to bare arms for a reason.....IF on the other hand, the US was a country that never had guns, and all of a sudden a new law says -" You can now own a gun," then that itself would be a completely different. matter...But, that's not how things are in reality...

If you do NOT like anyone stripping you of your rights, then why would you want others stripped of their rights? This is my own line of thought

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

But the fact is the United States has no restrictions on gun ownership except for certain types of weapons, and even in those instances, you can aquire a license for a machine gun or

silencer etc..

that is not a fact by a myth.

restrictons vary greatly from state to state, and even within states there are different rules, and no you just can get a lisence for machine gun and silencer, they are extreamly restricted, not issued to just anyone, and not available in all states. stop spreading lies.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

What he said and what you said don't contradict, so I don't see where he is spreading lies. Read what he posted more carefully.

What he said and what you said don't contradict, so I don't see where he is spreading lies. Read what he posted more carefully.

Don't worry, its pathological.

like your lies??

learn some reading comprehension... well start with reading first.

Here's my situation. I'm not in Australia, England, or any European country or elsewhere that has gun control. I'm in the United States. I'm for tighter

gun control. The NRA is just plain stupid in a lot of its arguments. Nothing wrong with common sense gun control. But the fact is the United States has

no restrictions on gun ownership except for certain types of weapons, and even in those instances, you can aquire a license for a machine gun or

silencer etc..

Violent crime by guns is a fact of life over here, and I can't do anything about it, except arm myself and hope I never have to use it. Los Angeles has

over 45,000 gang bangers in that city alone.

Gun ownership isn't a fetish as BR Cornelius put it, at least not to me. It's a balance of life and death, sad but true.

that is not a fact by a myth.

restrictons vary greatly from state to state, and even within states there are different rules, and no you just can get a lisence for machine gun and silencer, they are extreamly restricted, not issued to just anyone, and not available in all states. stop spreading lies.

I've posted it before, and I guess I have to post it again.... :sigh:

Those who favor a society without gun rights seem to be prone to spreading false information. At best, anti-gun leaders unknowingly spread baseless accusations; at worst, they willingly to lie to achieve their objectives. Regardless, it is my observation that a host of gun control myths began circulating during the 1960s and continue today.

For instance, how many times have you heard President Barack Obama pushing the Manchin-Toomey gun control bill because, according to the him, 90 percent of Americans support so-called universal background checks? Well, a Pew Research poll was conducted after the Senate defeated the bill. Turns out only 47 percent of Americans are disappointed the bill failed, while 32 percent describe themselves as “very happy” or “relieved.” So, Mr. President, you can quit arguing that the country is behind you on this.

If we can spread the truth about this myth now, maybe it will die. But there are other, older myths that have festered for years. Unfortunately, as the saying goes, if a lie is spread enough, it becomes the truth. Even some gun owners can start to believe the nonsense, which is particularly dangerous in the current political environment. So the next time you hear a gun-control advocate rattling off one of these myths, shock him with the truth.

Myth No. 1: A gun in the home is more likely to kill a family member than an intruder.

This is probably the most widely circulated gun control myth ever. It’s been argued that a gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a family than an intruder. You’re actually safer, argue anti-gun folks, in a gun-free home. That may help them sleep at night, but it isn’t true.

Despite this myth’s popularity, have you ever noticed politicians and journalists never cite a source to go along with it? Perhaps that’s because it’s derived from a seriously flawed 1986 report in the New England Journal of Medicine, “Protection or Peril?: An Analysis of Firearm-Related Deaths in the Home.”

Most notably, the study only accounted for cases of self-defense with firearms in which the criminal was killed. If the bad guy was wounded, held at gunpoint for police or ran away, it was not included in the data. That is a rather incredible oversight since, according to Florida State criminologist Gary Kleck, criminals are only shot dead in about 1 percent of firearm-defense incidents. Fact is, according to Kleck’s exhaustive research, a gun in the home is three to five times more likely to help stop a crime than commit one.

Myth No. 2: Forty percent of guns are purchased without a background check.

In pushing for “universal” background checks, Obama has repeatedly said, “As many as 40 percent of guns are purchased without a background check.” Vice President Joe Biden has also pushed the stat, and their lapdogs at The New York Times, USA Today and other media outlets have reported the stat as fact without questioning the source. As professor John Lott demonstrates, the number is actually closer to 10 percent.

To reach the 40-percent number, one must count family inheritances and gifts as “purchases.” The number is also based on a Clinton administration survey in which many respondents erroneously indicated they had not undergone a background check to buy a gun.

Myth No. 3: Fewer people own guns today.

Given the spate of gun buying over the last few years, it’s hard to believe anyone could perpetuate this myth with a straight face. According to FBI data, there have been a rather incredible 70,291,049 background checks for gun purchases since Obama took office. Gun control advocates argue it’s merely existing gun owners making all the purchasing. However, according to a 2011 Gallup poll, at least 47 percent of Americans own guns, compared to 41 percent in 1993. By most indications, gun ownership is on the rise.

Myth No. 4: Criminals obtain their weapons at gun shows.

The Brady Campaign and others have fought hard to convince us that criminals and even terrorists purchase their wares at gun shows. But what do the facts say? A Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) study from November 2001, “Firearms Use by Offenders,” found only 1 percent of criminals obtained their firearms at gun shows. An earlier BJS study found that only 1.7 percent of federal inmates made their purchases at gun shows. The numbers are backed up by a National Institute of Justice survey, which found only about 2-percent of criminals bought at gun shows.

So how do most bad guys obtain their guns? They’re forced to steal them.

Myth No. 5: People hardly ever use guns for self-defense.

If gun control advocates can convince the public that guns are rarely used for self-defense, then they can portray those who keep them for protection as misguided or paranoid. Fact is, according to a study by Kleck, guns are used up to 2.5 million times per year annually in the United States for armed self-defense. Often these incidents are unreported to the police or the media.

Why? In many cases the would-be victim draws a gun, the criminal immediately runs away and the event is never reported. Gun control advocates should keep in mind that self-defense doesn’t necessarily involve actually shooting a criminal, as this is gun owners’ last resort. There is also, of course, media bias that influences under-reporting of self-defense incidents, but we’ll save that topic for another feature.

Myth No. 6: Your gun is more likely to be used against you by an attacker.

According to Kleck’s book, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, attackers only disarm armed citizens in fewer than 1 percent of cases. This is especially true in cases of concealed carry, because the attacker often didn’t realize the target was armed, had no plan to disarm him or her, and flees in search of easier prey. By contrast, according to U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics data, armed resistance against an attacker—especially with a firearm—is the most effective means to prevent injury, or to thwart robbery or assault. In other words, “just doing whatever the bad guy says,” is often poor advice.

Myth No. 7: We can’t trust people with concealed carry.

Those who often perpetuate this myth don’t realize their state allows concealed carry—unless the individual is a citizen of Illinois. Criminals, on the other hand, do seem to notice the freedom by which the law-abiding residents of their locale can carry guns. Research by Lott, for instance, found that when shall-issue concealed carry is introduced, there are decreases in the rates of murder by 8.5 percent, rape by 5 percent and aggravated assault by 5 percent. While some academics dispute Lott’s findings, most concede that concealed carry—at the very least—has not resulted in the “blood in the streets” predictions of anti-gun groups. In his story, “‘More Guns, Less Crime’ Thesis Rests on a Flawed Statistical Design, Scholars Argue,” author David Glenn concludes: “Mr. Lott’s research has convinced his peers of at least one point: No scholars now claim that legalizing concealed weapons causes a major increase in crime.”

Myth No. 8: Urban areas especially need gun control.

There tend to be differing views on gun control in rural areas compared to urban centers, but it is wrong to suggest—as Obama has sometimes done—that gun control can be more effective in cities. To suggest honest American citizens living in metropolitan areas cannot be trusted with Second Amendment rights is not only misguided, but in some cases, may have racial undertones.

According to research by Lott for his book, More Guns, Less Crime, when the gun rights of a given population are restored, violent crime actually goes down. This is especially true, Lott found, for high-crime urban areas and neighborhoods with large minority populations. The greatest reduction in violent crime occurs when law-abiding citizens of the population are allowed to carry concealed handguns.

Myth No. 9: Guns teach kids to be violent.

Anyone who grew up in a gun-friendly household knows firearms teach discipline and other positive attributes. But how do we quantify that when our opponents are so willing to spread mistruths?

Well, we have studies to cite. Arguably the best is, “Patterns of Adolescent Firearms Ownership and Use,” by Terence P. Thornberry, Alan J. Lizotte and James M. Tesoriero. Among other findings, the researchers found that children taught about firearms and their legitimate uses by family members have much lower rates of delinquency than children in households without guns. Additionally, R. Tonso—head of the Department of Sociology, Criminal Justice and Anthropology at the University of Evansville in Indiana—found that children introduced to guns associate them with freedom, security and recreation—not violence.

Myth No. 10: Gun control prevents crime.

We’ve saved the ultimate myth for last. Here are but a few examples of failed gun control policies in action:

• Washington, D.C.’s ban on handguns (since repealed, sort of) took effect in 1977 and the city’s murder rate tripled by the 1990’s. According to D.C.’s own police department, every firearm murder was committed with a handgun
  • Chicago copied D.C.’s handgun ban in 1982 and, according to city data, within 10 years its handgun-related murders doubled.
  • Maryland and California have both imposed waiting periods for gun purchases and restricted sales of handguns and semi-auto rifles. Yet according to FBI Uniform Crime Reports, their murder and robbery rates that far exceed the rest of the country.

There are plenty more cases in which gun control has backfired, even as nationwide gun ownership has increased and crime has decreased.

• Like 2

There is a lot of misinformation circulating about background checks for gun ownership.

Under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act—which created the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)—all federal firearms licensees are required to conduct a background check for all firearms transactions, even if they sell the firearm at a gun show. This is to make sure that the gun isn’t being sold to a person who is prohibited from purchasing a gun under Section 922(g) or (n) of Title 18 of the United States Code, which would include convicted felons, people who have been adjudicated to be severely mentally ill, and people who have been convicted of a domestic violence offense.

President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I), and scores of others have repeated the mantra that approximately 40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted through private sales at gun shows and are not subject to a criminal background check. This has become known as the “gun show loophole.”

At a recent Senate hearing, Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson went so far as to say, “Allowing 40 percent of those acquiring guns to bypass background checks is like allowing 40 percent of airline passengers to board a plane without going through airport security.”

What gun control proponents never say, though, is that this oft-repeated statistic is based on stale data that was grossly exaggerated even when it was fresh.

As The Washington Post has pointed out, this 40 percent figure comes from a 1997 report by the National Institute of Justice, a research agency within the Department of Justice, and was based on a telephone survey sample of just 251 people who acquired firearms in 1993 and 1994. This was years before the NICS system went into effect. Of the 251 participants, 35.7 percent said that they didn’t or “probably” didn’t obtain their gun from a licensed firearms dealer. Because the margin of error was +/– 6 percentage points, it was rounded up to 40 percent, although it could just as easily and legitimately have been rounded down below 30 percent.

In addition, if you subtract people who said they got their gun as a gift, inheritance, or prize, the number dropped from 35.7 percent to 26.4 percent. And, in terms of how many people actually buy firearms at gun shows, the data from this same survey indicated that in 1994, only 3.9 percent of firearms purchases were made at gun shows.

Citing this data as evidence of how many firearms are currently purchased through private sales not subject to background checks is akin to citing data about current seat belt usage that is derived from a limited sample taken years before a mandatory seat belt law went into effect or before cars were even required to have seat belts. We all know that, according to a phrase popularized by Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. Citing such limited and outdated data over and over again on a matter of this magnitude, however, is going too far.

Taken from http://blog.heritage.org/2013/02/08/background-checks-and-the-so-called-gun-show-loophole/

And I would well beleive it Michelle... Many people are so grateful for a gun that saved their lives and EVEN the lives of their children

If someone saved my life with a gun, I would be forever grateful and I can't ever imagine wanting them banned.. But that's just me...

Didn't you once note that your life was saved by a gun? ( Unless I am mistaken ) If this is true, well I am glad you were saved..

Yes, that was me...I never forgot to take my gun with me while hiking in the woods alone after that.

• Like 2

Well, since this thread is supposed to be about guns saving lives... Here's a couple...

Deer charges at Shaker Heights family and dog; man shoots deer to stop another attack

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_cuyahoga/deer-charges-at-shaker-heights-family-and-dog-man-shoots-deer-to-stop-another-attack

EXCLUSIVE: Man Stabs Ex, Current BF Shoots, Kills Attacker

http://www.fox44abc22yourvoice.com/story/22614484/exclusive-man-stabs-ex-current-bf-shoots-kills-attacker

• Like 2

Yes, that was me...I never forgot to take my gun with me while hiking in the woods alone after that.

I can't blame you... I too would be the same...

I've posted it before, and I guess I have to post it again.... :sigh:

FANTASTIC!!!

:clap::nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

A .357 saved my twin brother from a rattlesnake when we were 9.

• Like 1

The question then becomes whether or not a society wants to do that or not. The benefit is a much safer world to live in. The arguments that guns provide safety are all lies -- manipulations of statistics for propaganda purposes. The plain fact is that societies where guns are rare and heavily regulated are much safer places to live.

I have to disagree about "Much Safer". Less deadly, certainly. But, not less dangerous, or safer. Statistics show that in most nations that have banned guns, the incidence of violent crime did not really drop, and in some cases greatly increased. But gun related deaths did indeed decrease dramatically.

I saw some statistics of Crime in England. (I'll try to find them again. My following statement is thus un-referenced) Robbery and Burglery actually increased percentage-wise after the gun ban. So then you went from a 1 in 200 chance of being robbed to 1 in 70 or 80, and that 1 in 100,000 chance of being killed by a gun went to 1 in 10,000,000. Personnally, I'd rather get robbed less and risk getting shot. But maybe that is just the American in me speaking out. Other more... "Gentile"..? nations probably would Treasure saving a couple thousand people a year for a national 300% increase in crime.

After all in a Socialist Nation, crime protection is the responsibility solely of the Government. Where in a more free nation the responsibility is shared by the government and the individual.

How had would it be to get guns in the UK, if it were not an island and it had Syria, or Libya, sharing 1/4 of its border? It is an naive statement to compare these apples and oranges. There are less illegal guns in the UK because there is less of a source, not because the Criminals don't want guns. If a criminal could drive 2 hours and then smuggle a gas tank full of guns back into the UK, it would be happening. And then all this talk about how the UK is so peaceful would not be going on. Instead the UK would be pushing for more individual gun ownership.

So, even if you are correct and a culture change would fix the issue. How do you propose going around changing 200 years of US Culture?

Br Cornelius

America does share characteristics with poorer nations... it is called Freedom from overbearing laws.

I think it IS something to be PROUD of. That we have so much freedom is what allows Americans to feel free to do great things. Europe is so structured and rigid and lawbound. All the adventurous people moved the American and all the fearful stayed home in Europe.

Guns do reflect the American character and that is something to be proud of. Individualism, Liberty, Self Confidence, Self Reliance....

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

Here's a couple more, don't know if they are in the thread already or not...

Woman, 22, fends off attacker with handgun

http://www.katu.com/...-200921511.html

Man reportedly fired gun to scare away fiancee’s attackers

http://blogs.desmoin...tackers/article

Woman fires gun, scares off attacker- from 1989

http://news.google.c...pg=3439,1348396

Man, 62, Stabbed Twice, Uses Gun to Scare Off Attacker, 20; No Shots Fired

http://www.rationali...n-to-scare.html

This site has a whole map of articles of guns being used goodly.

• Like 4

That rational site looks interesting. I'll have to get to check it out later.

The list of guns saving lives is endless.... Below is just a fraction of the numerous reports of guns saving lives.

General discussion and overview articles:

10 Stories That Prove Guns Save Lives. There are thousands of good and decent Americans who are alive today precisely because they had guns. Gun control advocates might think the world would be a better place if those people and the ones you're about to read about were dead and the people menacing them had gotten away with their crimes, but those of us who are serious about our Second Amendment rights disagree.

Despite National Tragedy, Truth Is, Guns Save Lives. Leftist anti-gun zealots in D.C., N.Y. and L.A. should admit, once and for all, what they really want: the outlawing of privately-owned firearms by American citizens. Of course they'll never reveal their true motives, so instead tragedies such as the Newtown massacre are exploited to erode our Second Amendment rights. The unspoken secret harbored among these gun-hating movie stars and politicians is that many of them have concealed carry permits, as do their armed bodyguards. Plus, they work in buildings protected by metal detectors and security personnel that brandish weapons. In other words, they'll remain safe, but nobody else will.

"How Many Rapes Are Stopped Each Year By A Gun?" In the early 1990's a study concluded that 650 rapes a day were stopped because the victim was — or may have been — armed. But the number of women who carry, and the number of homes with guns, is much higher now. The latest prisoners surveys estimate that 3,600 rapes a day are never attempted because the victim either showed a gun, said she had a gun, or the rapist though the victim had a gun for some other reason.

How often do Americans use guns for defensive purposes? Criminologist and researcher Gary Kleck, using his own commissioned phone surveys and number extrapolation, estimates that 2.5 million Americans use guns for defensive purposes each year. He further found that of those who had used guns defensively, one in six believed someone would have been dead if they had not resorted to their defensive use of firearms.

How Often Are Firearms Used in Self-Defense? There are approximately two million defensive gun uses per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist in 1993.

Specific cases:

Grandmother, 72, fends off burglar with a single shot from .357 magnum handgun. A burglar came in for the shock of his life when he burglarized the house of a 72-year-old grandmother and her disabled World War II veteran husband. The elderly lady turned Dirty Harry as she defended her home in Orange County, California, and her wheel-chair-bound husband — scaring off the 31-year-old assailant by firing a single shot from her .357magnum revolver as he tried to break through the front door.

No charges filed against man who shot, killed intruder in home. Authorities will not file criminal charges against a man who shot and killed an intruder in his home last month. Orangeburg County Sheriff Leroy Ravenell says the death of 21-year-old DeShawn Randolph has been classified as self-defense under the state's 'stand your ground' law.

Medford gun firing incident highlights law enforcement double standard. "[Corey] Thompson was charged with Unlawful Use of a Weapon, Menacing and Reckless Endangering," the report states, after he allegedly fired one round from an AR-15 personal defense rifle into the ground because, he claims, wanted felon Jonathon Kinsella "was trying to break in through his back door." [Note: The Medford Police Department Media Release spells their first names "Cory" and "Jonathan."] Police say the shot was unwarranted, because "the suspect was walking away."

Homeowner and intruder exchange gunfire. According to police, a Fort Stewart soldier, living at the Colonial Park Condos, 1100 Pineland Ave., was upstairs with his wife shortly after midnight when he heard someone enter his residence. He then went downstairs and confronted the intruder with a firearm. The two men exchanged gunfire.

Home Invasion Suspect Shot. A home invasion suspect is in critical condition after getting shot in S.E. Shelby County. Shelby County Deputies were called to the scene in the 4400 block of Jonsey just before 9:00 p.m. Saturday night. When they arrived they found a male with multiple gunshot wounds.

Homeowner fires handgun to stop alleged burglars. A homeowner fired his handgun into the ground three times to stop three men from stealing his appliances, according to the Kern County Sheriff's Office.

Brooklyn Boy, 10, Grabs Gun from Armed Home Invaders, Fires Shot: Police. A 10-year-old boy fought back against two robbers who tried to break into his family's home in Brooklyn Monday, grabbing a gun dropped by one of the suspects and firing a shot that scared them off, police said.

Warner Robins Homeowner Shoots, Kills Alleged Intruder Early Sunday Morning. Ronald Lewis Burnett, 36, was found by officers unconscious and lying on the ground outside the house at 205 Thomas Boulevard. He was taken to the Houston Medical Center and pronounced dead, having sustained an apparent gunshot to the chest. Officers were told that Burnett tried to break into the house and was shot by 32-year-old homeowner, Travis Lucas.

Gun owner stops home invaders dead. When a group of black men were planning a home-invasion robbery in Fayetteville, N.C., on Friday [4/12/2013], they stuck to an M.O. that had succeeded all over the country, but made one fatal error: They chose the wrong home. The residents of the targeted house were home at the time and armed. After what local authorities report as a "gun battle," two of alleged robbers died.

LA Homeowner Says His 'Large Gun' Helped Thwart Attempted Burglary. A homeowner in the Wilshire-Crest area of Los Angeles credits his quick thinking — and his "large gun" — for helping him stave off three apparent burglars.

Washington Jewelry Store Owner Wins Gunfight With Armed Robber, Sends Him Fleeing. An armed man entered a jewelry store in Kent, Washington and attempted to rob it. At some point during a confrontation with

Homeowner uses Shotgun to stop Burglars. An Omaha resident who found an intruder in his garage early Saturday offered some words of wisdom to the young man as they waited for police to arrive. Rob Wegman, who lives near 212th Street and West Maple Road, said he told the man that if he wanted nice things, he should get a job. [...] Wegman said he held a 12-gauge shotgun on the intruder in a detached garage behind his home while his wife called police.

Heath Resident Fires Shot, Chases Off Would-Be Burglar. Police say a man in Heath [Ohio] fired a weapon at a would-be burglar on Thursday morning [4/11/2013]. The break-in occurred after 4 a.m. Thursday on the 900 block of Northbrook Court. The resident said he was awoken by his dog and spotted a person with a flashlight in his home.

Police: Home intruder shot, killed at Charlotte apartment. Police said they are investigating after a home intruder was shot and killed while trying to force his way into a Charlotte apartment. [...] Charlotte-Mecklenburg homicide investigators said the intruder was shot after struggling over a weapon with the man who lived there.

Robber Shot, Victim Wounded. Two men were shot, including the suspect, during a botched robbery attempt of a Marrero [Louisiana] sandwich shop Saturday night, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said.

Report: Homeowner shoots, hits tire; burglary suspects flee, found later. After they allegedly drove toward him, a homeowner shot at a Ford Taurus carrying three burglary suspects leaving his Melton Hill Drive property Saturday, authorities said. He hit a tire. But the trio was able to escape in the black car — at least temporarily, authorities said.

Oklahoma teens killed in Texas shooting; armed homeowner praised. Authorities were investigating an attempted robbery scene in north Texas on Thursday where two Oklahoma teenagers were found fatally shot — possibly by self-inflicted gunshots — and the local sheriff praised the armed homeowner who fired on the suspected intruders.

Pennsylvania Music Store Owner Shoots, Kills Intruder . "He wanted to look at guitars. He didn't ask for any money," the 72-year-old said Saturday evening, after being treated for injuries and released from UPMC Mercy hospital. And then, seemingly unprovoked, Mr. Moore pounced, clubbing her on the head. Just as suddenly, police said, Mr. Moore was dead, shot and killed by Mrs. Armen's husband, Alfred, 73, after a brief but violent struggle inside their store late Saturday morning [4/27/2013].

Law enforcement investigates third shooting in a day. The Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department tells Action 7 News they were called to a home on Southfort around midnight Wednesday. There, they say, a man had broken into a home. The homeowner allegedly shot the intruder, taking him down.

Iraq War vet thwarts break-in at Michigan gas station. Police say an Iraq War veteran thwarted two would-be burglars at his northern Michigan gas station by kicking one of them and ordering them away with an AR-15 rifle.

Attempted robbery ends with victim shooting suspect, police say; suspects in court. Two of the three suspects arrested in connection with an attempted robbery that ended with one of the suspects getting shot, made their initial appearances in Yuma Justice Court on Tuesday afternoon [4/30/2013].

Police: Would-be burglar shot dead by homeowner. Police said the homeowner shot the suspect when he saw him attempting to break into his home.

Home invasion victim shoots, kills one. A 63-year-old Philadelphia man shot and killed one of two men who broke into his home early Sunday morning [3/31/2013] after they climbed into the residence through a second-floor window and fought him, police said.

Woman, 22, fends off attacker with handgun. An man who police said grabbed a 22-year-old woman by her hair and assaulted her Sunday night [3/31/2013] got quite a surprise when she pulled out her handgun to defend herself. Police said the suspect ran away when he saw the gun. The woman was not seriously hurt.

Exeter homeowner holds burglar at gunpoint, police say. A Pennside man broke through the front door of an Exeter Township home early Sunday [3/31/2013] only to find himself facing the barrel of a shotgun, township police said. Officers arrived at the home in the 500 block of Church Lane Road and found would-be burglar Alexander D. Diaz-Cruz on the floor being held at gunpoint by homeowner Martin Zellers, police said.

No arrests planned in fatal shooting Monday, says Sumner County sheriff. Sumner County law enforcement authorities said they finished their investigation of a fatal shooting Monday night [3/4/2013] in which a 41-year-old man from Iowa was shot by a farmer.

Miami police: Would-be robber is shot by victim, dies. An attempted robbery backfired when the victim fatally shot his attacker Tuesday night [3/5/2013] in northwest Miami, police said.

Intruder Shot By Homeowner In District Heights. According to Cpl. McKinney, a preliminary investigation indicates the injured man was banging loudly on an apartment door. The homeowner, armed with a handgun, opened the door to investigate. That's when the man forced his way into the apartment. In response, the homeowner shot the intruder who then attempted to take refuge in another apartment where he was later found by police.

Son, 21, 'saved mother and father's life' after shooting home invader. A 21-year-old son shot dead an intruder to protect his parents when three men stormed their suburban home on Thursday night [2/21/2013]. The residents, who are from Eastern Europe, were enjoying some family time together and baking a cake when they heard a knock on the door at around 8pm.

Family fights back when 3 gunmen storm their home; one intruder shot. A 21-year-old man sprang into action to protect his family Thursday night [2/21/2013] when three suspects barged into their northwest Harris County home.

Man Shoots and Kills Two Home Invaders: National Media Silent. In yet another example of self defence using a firearm, a man used a gun to defend himself, and his toddler son from home invaders. Yet, the national media chose to take a pass on covering it.

Homeowner shoots, wounds would-be burglar. Police arrested a 39-year-old man Monday night [2/4/2013] after a homeowner shot and wounded him while he was trying to break into a house in north Houston, officials said.

Suspect shot, killed in west Vegas break-in. Police said one of three men believed to have broken into a west Las Vegas home was killed after a homeowner opened fire at the group.

Police release name of suspect shot in Garrard County burglary. They say they came home and found a burglar inside. But a central Kentucky couple turned the tables on the intruder, and police say the husband shot him.

Utah store owner pulls gun to foil knife-wielding robber. A knife-wielding, would-be bandit got an unpleasant surprise Monday when he tried to hold up a South Salt Lake convenience store and found himself facing a gun.

Serial burglar shot by homeowner. Police say a serial burglar, who has been arrested 37 times, was shot by a homeowner in northwest Albuquerque Sunday morning [3/18/2012].

Why You Never Bring a Brick to a Gun Fight. [scroll down] Good on that Good Samaritan neighbor. Had he not intervened, who knows how badly the woman would have been hurt. And had he intervened and not had a gun, there's no telling how much more damage the bad guy would have done to him with that brick.

Burglar Rolls Snake-Eyes in Vegas. KLAS-TV in Las Vegas reports that in the early morning hours of Tuesday [2/5/2013] a man in his seventies shot and killed an armed intruder who had just broken into the man's home along with a couple of armed partners-in-crime. After dialing 9-1-1 and alerting police to the home invasion, the man shot and killed one of the intruders.

Suspect Shot and Killed in Attempted Home Invasion in Fairborn, Ohio. Well, shouldn't this be flooding the news channels, considering everything else?

Armed guard disarms shooter at Georgia middle school. An armed guard at a Georgia middle school disarmed a student who had opened fire, wounding one person. [...] The guard will be disappeared from the story because his actions don't fit the narrative. It will be forgotten how many lives he may have saved, and how his presence proved the efficacy of hiring armed security for our schools.

Armed Guard Stops Shooter. While DHS seeks 7,000 semiautomatic guns with 30-round clips for self-defense, it makes a video saying you should use scissors to overpower armed predators. Luckily, a school guard in Atlanta thought differently.

Martin Luther King Jr. High School coach shoots attackers. Police sources tell 7 Action News that a women's basketball coach from Martin Luther King, Jr. Senior High School shot two men who attacked him as he was walking two basketball players to their cars in the school parking lot. Police sources say the coach was walking the two girls to their cars when two men allegedly approached and one pulled out a gun and grabbed him by his chain necklace. The coach then pulled out his gun and shot both of them, according to sources. The man who shot the attackers was 70 years old, according to police.

Georgia College Student Saves Himself, Ten Friends By Shooting At Masked Attackers, Killing One. But no, he shouldn't have had an "evil gun"...

College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader. A group of college students said they are lucky to be alive and they're thanking the quick-thinking of one of their own. Police said a fellow student shot and killed one of two masked me who burst into an apartment. Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones met with one of the students to talk about the incident. "Apparently, his intent was to rape and murder us all," said student Charles Bailey.

Grandma With Gun Halts Store Robbery. A gun-carrying grandmother in Milwaukee foiled an attempted robbery when she pulled a firearm on the suspect as he grabbed for her grocery store cash register. Ernestine Aldana, 48, was behind the counter at the San Ignacio Market when a man in a dark hat pulled a knife on her and attempted to rob the store register, police said.

CBS Actually Covers Gun Self-Defense Case Promoted By NRA; ABC, NBC Punt. On Friday's [1/11/2013] CBS This Morning, Bill Plante refreshingly spotlighted how firearms are used to protect the lives of ordinary Americans. Plante noted how the National Rifle Association "Tweeted a story... about Melinda Herman, a Georgia woman who shot an intruder in self-defense as she waited with her two children in a closet.... She fired at the man multiple times with a .38 caliber handgun." The two other Big Three morning shows failed to mention this story during their coverage of the current gun control debate.

School Shooting in Tennessee That National Media Did Not Report. I am sure that no one outside of our immediate region has ever heard the story, because the only person who was shot — and killed — was the gunman. These types of stories don't fit the narrative of those who want "gun-free zones" and so are ignored by the national media.

Never bring a cattle prod to a gun fight.

Police: Fla. clerk's gun beats thief's cattle prod. Authorities say a Florida Panhandle man has been arrested after he tried to rob a convenience store with a cattle prod but was thwarted by a clerk with a gun.

Armed businessman confronts thieves in the act, deputies say. A 64-year-old man armed with a shotgun caught two burglary suspects in the act Monday [1/7/2013] and detained the men until deputies arrived, the Volusia County Sheriff's Office reported. The owner of West Crane Services on Newport Avenue told deputies his business was burglarized last week, so he staked out the property at night anticipating the thieves would return.

Homeowner shoots at two men breaking into his Vallejo residence. At about 11:45 a.m. the man found the two men breaking into his home in the 200 block of Windsor Court, police said. The man then armed himself with a weapon and took a shot at the suspects, who fled the house in a champagne four-door late 1990s Cadillac, police said.

Concealed Carry Holder Teaches Armed Robber Why It's a Bad Idea to Pull a Gun on a Dad. A father in Columbus, Ohio was forced to defend himself and his 2-month-old son when a man pulled a gun and attempted to rob him on Monday night [1/7/2013]. Luckily, Kelby Smith, 34, owns a permit to carry a concealed handgun and was able to shoot the robber.

Armed Florida senior changes would-be robber's life with legal handgun. Here's some more news for the media gatekeepers to bury, since it runs strongly counter to their preferred gun-control narrative: a 71-year-old Florida man used his lawfully carried firearm to thwart an armed robbery at an Internet cafe in Ocala, Florida.

Boy Uses AR15 To Stop A Home Invasion. Bottom line, banning the AR15 and its variants is banning perhaps the single most effective weapon for home defense. That is particularly true for women and teens. Keep that in mind as the left tries to disarm America in the wake of Sandy Hook.

Mother Hiding with Kids Shoots Intruder. As I've mentioned before, while I'm a huge supporter of the Second Amendment, I'm no fan of guns and sincerely wish that owning one (or three) wasn't a necessary responsibility, especially when you have a family. Here's another reason why that's the case.

Mother Hiding with Kids Shoots Intruder. A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday [1/4/2013]. The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar. But the man eventually found the family.

Cops: Mother of two surprises intruder with five gunshots. The Loganville mother of two assumed the knocks on her front door Friday afternoon were from a solicitor. "Don't answer," she yelled to her 9-year-old twins playing downstairs. When the visitor began repeatedly ringing the doorbell, she called her husband at work. "Get the kids and hide," he told his wife.

This didn't happen; please ignore this post. Liberal-fascists would rather this woman had been raped and murdered, and her children right along with her.

The December 16 Movie Theater Shooting You Didn't Hear About. The story was covered locally, but seeing as it happened just one day after the Sandyhook massacre in Connecticut, you would think it would have gotten more airplay in the MSM. Don't stories like this one play right into their anti-gun hands? No — not this one.

Fruit vendor grateful after customer shoots gunman. A South Florida fruit vendor is speaking out with words of gratitude for a customer who stepped in after someone tried to mug him. Blood stains and crime scene tape remain on the sidewalk marking the spot of the near-fatal confrontation that occurred Tuesday afternoon [11/27/2012].

Retired Marine Shoots Home Intruder During Break-In. If you're a thief, there are a couple of warning signs that you should watch out for. A dog bowl and a leash in the front yard would tip you off that you're probably going to get bitten. A sign that reads, "Trespassers will be shot!" is pretty self-explanatory. The home of 77-year-old Lloyd McCarty is similarly filled with warning signs.

Home Invader Shot in Boardman, Ohio. Officers said one of the suspects, Keemoni Harris, 22, of Campbell, and the homeowner, James Truman Sr., exchanged gunfire, firing about five shots. Truman wasn't hit, but officials said Harris went to the hospital with three non-life threatening gun shot wounds.

Man Shoots Intruder in Santa Maria. An unidentified intruder was shot Sunday evening [12/9/2012] in Santa Maria when he knocked on a homeowner's door and brandished a gun.

Mass Killings Stopped by Armed Citizens. There are several documented cases where armed citizens have stopped mass attacks by gunmen. Let me list a few: The Pearl, Mississippi school shooting was stopped by the vice principal Joel Myrick with a Colt .45, The Appalachian School shooting was stopped by two students with handguns. Both of the above incidents were stopped by the armed citizens threatening the shooter without firing

The above may look like a lot, but it's not, I have barely posted half of it... There are several hundred more of these stories on this site...-> http://www.akdart.com/gun3.html

If you go on to the site and start to scroll down it, trust me, you will get tired...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 8