Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Game of Thrones

Paranoid Android

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

I think without the books being written to cover season 8 the real problem is a lack of imagination by the directors. They cannot write decent scripts with the intricate plots and twists we have come to expect. We are 4 episodes in and there have been no wtf moments where the wrong people die. Its like the good guys/gals have taken over this season.

Why can I already tell Jon Snow wins? Thats poor. And what about the previous 7 seasons worth of plot building with which 95% has been wasted or a let down? Oh well, at least the director learned how to use lighting correctly for this latest episode.

I don't mind so much about surprises or who does or doesn't die, I'd be satisfied, storywise, with almost any outcome. I'd just be happy with a fully coherent story with good dialogue between the characters (something that disappeared after season 5) and no lazy writing (like my previous example) where the characters do stuff, even if it's wildly out of character, just for the sake of fitting with the writers' story. You expect this on the networks like NBC and FOX, but it's virtually absent from cable programming like HBO, AMC and Showtime. The writers now seem to be more suited for shows like Heroes or Supernatural. That's the disappointing part for me. 

As to Jon winning? I'm not quite sure that it'll play out like that, though I hope it does because he's my favourite in the shows and books. I just hope they don't mess up the last two episodes in the same ways as they have been. 

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I think the most "setting things up the finale" scene was Varys, who knew the Mad King personally, calling Dany's fitness to rule into question.

The conversation between him and Tyrion where they discussed treason was probably the best interaction either of those two characters have had with anyone in about 4 years. They've went from really intelligent, interesting characters to idiots in that time (and they did the same with Littlefinger), and it actually felt like the early seasons versions of the characters for a bit.

• Like 2

Just a thought, but Dany made Gendry a lord in this episode. This means that if all the main players were to die then he'd have a legitimate claim to the throne, since he's not a b****** anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if they went down this road, with Davos as his Hand. I seem to remember that George RR Martin took Ian (Davos) aside and told only him who wins the Iron Throne, back around the time Davos was helping Gendry.

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Just a thought, but Dany made Gendry a lord in this episode. This means that if all the main players were to die then he'd have a legitimate claim to the throne, since he's not a b****** anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if they went down this road, with Davos as his Hand. I seem to remember that George RR Martin took Ian (Davos) aside and told only him who wins the Iron Throne, back around the time Davos was helping Gendry.

At least then we would know that the show end is different from the books. Show Gendry is an amalgamation of two different characters. The boy Davos helps is called Edric Storm, who is a completely separate character.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

At least then we would know that the show end is different from the books. Show Gendry is an amalgamation of two different characters. The boy Davos helps is called Edric Storm, who is a completely separate character.

Hmm. How does that change the books? The only difference is that single event. Gendry still exists in the books.

I was only referring to Davos helping Gendry as a reference to when George told Ian the ending. Though I suppose if it was a different guy in the books then the guess about Davos being his hand at the end might not make sense? Still leaves open the possibility for Gendry to end up on the throne in both though.

I think it would be a nice touch for Gendry to end up on the throne with Arya by his side. He got shot down pretty hard in this episode but I think it would be nice for Arya to let go of her vengeance and just be happy.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

That would be horrid. Nobody cares about Gendry. He's just a side character. Jon needs to win. Just because it's predictable doesn't mean it's bad. The whole damn show is about who rightfully sits on the iron throne.

Found this video today. It's old but new to me. GoT intro if it were a 90's show. Very funny and actually well done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm looking forward to the Lannister brothers taking out Bronn. 

I used to look forward to this show every week, now I could care less, and that fact makes me terribly sad. 

Not only is the writing bad, it's illogical. This show has gone the way The Walking Dead did. 

• Like 3

It's funny how it can suddenly become trendy to hate on a show. It is still great entertainment.

16 hours ago, F3SS said:

Found this video today. It's old but new to me. GoT intro if it were a 90's show. Very funny and actually well done.

That's brilliant and oh so true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

It's funny how it can suddenly become trendy to hate on a show. It is still great entertainment.

There's a difference between being trendy and observing a trend. I love the show - watched each season probably around 5 or 6 times each - but even though I lowered my expectations drastically after season 6, some things are really just obviously terrible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

There's a difference between being trendy and observing a trend. I love the show - watched each season probably around 5 or 6 times each - but even though I lowered my expectations drastically after season 6, some things are really just obviously terrible.

Its not like the complaints are even subjective they left a starbucks cup in a scene for crying out loud. I still love the show but feel like after this long im invested enough to have an opinion LOL

5 hours ago, F3SS said:

I don't think it's trendy, it's people watching the quality of it deteriorate right before their eyes. If you binge watch the previous seasons then get to this one, its obvious how far they have strayed off the path.

It just seems like every good show gets to a point where the fan base just turns. Likewise, every good show can't keep it up forever. I too see plenty to laugh about but it's still really damn good and 1000x better than most people could come up with. Heck, even GRRM can't figure out how to finish the story. The only thing they ha e left to really screw up is the ending. Jon really needs to win this out.

Just now, F3SS said:

It just seems like every good show gets to a point where the fan base just turns. Likewise, every good show can't keep it up forever. I too see plenty to laugh about but it's still really damn good and 1000x better than most people could come up with. Heck, even GRRM can't figure out how to finish the story. The only thing they ha e left to really screw up is the ending. Jon really needs to win this out.

I understand your perspective, and agree it is difficult to keep pleasing fans. I think the main issue here is that the producers of the show signed on to adapt a book, not create all new material, so they are way out of their comfort zone. However, HBO was willing to let them have several more seasons, and they choose to make this one short, therefore, it is really missing some key elements.

24 minutes ago, Careful_perspective said:

I understand your perspective, and agree it is difficult to keep pleasing fans. I think the main issue here is that the producers of the show signed on to adapt a book, not create all new material, so they are way out of their comfort zone. However, HBO was willing to let them have several more seasons, and they choose to make this one short, therefore, it is really missing some key elements.

With no book isn't it all new though? Nothing to adapt from. I guess unless they're missing key points in the story that were in the book. As long as it doesn't end as bad as Dexter did I'm good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, F3SS said:

I hated it before it was popular to hate it.

My finale speculation:

Cersei goes out, killed by Tyrion (via poison like Joffrey and Marcella). Jamie discovers this and is torn between his sister, his brother and some oath he swore. He does a Tommin. Potentially Tyrion goes out like his father on the shitter.

Clegainebowl happens. The survivor is done in by the Murder Pixie. Arya then leaves for Bravos, telling the boat captain that she’s no one. 

Jon goes North, a la Mance Raider. 

Dany goes full on Wibble and a lot of things burn.

Sansa just p***es off to the North.

10 hours ago, Careful_perspective said:

Agreed, they could have stretched this one out with a cliff hanger at the end being about the battle with the Night King.

Then wait for the book to come out, they follow up with one or two more seasons.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, RabidMongoose said:

Agreed, they could have stretched this one out with a cliff hanger at the end being about the battle with the Night King.

Then wait for the book to come out, they follow up with one or two more seasons.

I think they're intentionally holding off on the release of the book until the show is over. No reason to have them compete against each other. And it will probably drive some sales for people wanting to see how different the ending to the books will be compared to the show.

In the early days there was an episode with a flashback to Cersei as a child visiting a witch.

Cersei asked if she would marry a prince. The witch said no, you will marry a King. 

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

In the early days there was an episode with a flashback to Cersei as a child visiting a witch.

Cersei asked if she would marry a prince. The witch said no, you will marry a King. 

When she married Robert he was a king, so that prophecy came true a long time ago.

• Like 1

Predictions for Episode 5:

Greyworm dies

Cleganebowl takes out The Hound and the Mountain

Jaime kills Cersei

Dany learns of Varys and Tyrions plans

Tyrion is eaten by a dragon

Varys is burned to death(or he dives into the sea and swims away with his tail)

Jon and Dany end the episode at odds with each other

Arya helps the Hound and doesn't leave him to die alone

Bronn doesn't get his castle

• The topic was unpinned