Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Game of Thrones

Paranoid Android

PS ,I'm still really upset about all of it. It was just so evil ,I cannot process it . I would watch it again ,but its too upsetting.

Everyone here better hold my hand thru Dexter this season btw .

It's the last season ,ans I am going to be a wreck .

They polled the fans ,should he live,or should he die ,and last seasons cliff hanger was so ...well ****ed up .....and its my favorite show...I will need consoling I am sure.

You had better be there for me !

^_^

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

Game of Thrones: If you start to like a character, they're already dead.

Be interesting to see if the shock of the Red Wedding by those not expecting it will cause a dip in ratings. Heard a few people who have said they're not going to watch GoT anymore because they no longer feel invested in the story anymore.

My wife said she is getting sick of the good people always getting killed and losing. I told her to hang on so they better have the big one before the season ends or there will be trouble.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to see if that guy gets it on the the dragon queen. ;)

Last night's episode is what GRRM's writing is all about,

he gets rid of the far end of the spectrum characters (the way too good and the way too bad) and then takes the middle of the roaders and shifts our perception of them and takes the story in a completely different trajectory.

I can't wait for the changes coming. A tip of the hat to the director as The Red Wedding, as horrific and shocking as it was in the book, was even more so in the show. They really did a number on the viewer. It was like watching a ballet of horror as the music changed and the door closed and the bolts started flying. The daggers made it worse.

This was a major shift in the books and they did it more than justice in the show. GRRM is not for the faint of heart as beloved characters fall like dominoes and the bad guys seem to flourish but hang in there.

Be interesting to see if the shock of the Red Wedding by those not expecting it will cause a dip in ratings. Heard a few people who have said they're not going to watch GoT anymore because they no longer feel invested in the story anymore.

Well its true ,many people want to see Ned Stark avenged

Remember, of course, that in Season 1 when Ned Stark died, fans of the show who had never read the books were demanding that they somehow resurrect Ned Stark (magic, witchcraft, maybe even as a gentle old ghost, anything). I think they'll accept that GRRM has a plan and you just have to get used to it.

Last night's episode is what GRRM's writing is all about,

he gets rid of the far end of the spectrum characters (the way too good and the way too bad) and then takes the middle of the roaders and shifts our perception of them and takes the story in a completely different trajectory.

I can't wait for the changes coming. A tip of the hat to the director as The Red Wedding, as horrific and shocking as it was in the book, was even more so in the show. They really did a number on the viewer. It was like watching a ballet of horror as the music changed and the door closed and the bolts started flying. The daggers made it worse.

This was a major shift in the books and they did it more than justice in the show. GRRM is not for the faint of heart as beloved characters fall like dominoes and the bad guys seem to flourish but hang in there.

But I hate bad guys !!!!

• Like 1

Seriously ?

Well its true ,many people want to see Ned Stark avenged . I personally cannot take the death of ___ ______,but there's so much more ,and we still have Jon and Arya .

It's far from over ,or not being invested ,unless you have never read a book and have the attention span of a gnat

I think it's less an issue of attention but rather not seeing the point in continuing if they can't connect to a character. So while Ned's death was shocking he had only been around for one season and things had been going poorly for him for a while before he was offed. In this case you have someone who has been a key character for three seasons, who people were really rooting for, and then he gets brutely killed. I can see how that kind of gut punch would take the enjoyment out of a series. That they might not be able to get really invested in other characters out of fear that they're going to be offed. They're going to need to do something special for the season finale in order to win people back and give them a bit of hope that the bad guys aren't going to win it all.

There really is no main characters , it's just taken different POV from the characters

Remember, of course, that in Season 1 when Ned Stark died, fans of the show who had never read the books were demanding that they somehow resurrect Ned Stark (magic, witchcraft, maybe even as a gentle old ghost, anything). I think they'll accept that GRRM has a plan and you just have to get used to it.

He even joked that maybe Drogo has a twin brother nobody knew about in response to the fans' protest of his death.

Anything is possible between the old Gods and the new and the one true God. Even a Faceless Man could return as the honorable head chopper, Sean Bean.

I think the Children of the Forest are going to return and the old power held dormant for thousands of years will rise again. No matter how many claims to Westeros there are, there's always seemingly a bigger one nestled underneath and out of sight.

Oh and let's not overlook the Frey version of events at the Red Wedding. Robb and his men turned into werewolves and attacked Jinglebell.

And what about that traitor Roose Bolton? How fast should he lose his head? Martin explains: "Once, a boy called Theon Greyjoy had enjoyed tweaking Bolton as they sat at council with Robb Stark, mocking his soft voice and making japes about leeches. He must have been mad. This is no man to jape with. You had only to look at Bolton to know that he had more cruelty in his pinky toe than all the Freys combined."

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 1

I think it's less an issue of attention but rather not seeing the point in continuing if they can't connect to a character. So while Ned's death was shocking he had only been around for one season and things had been going poorly for him for a while before he was offed. In this case you have someone who has been a key character for three seasons, who people were really rooting for, and then he gets brutely killed. I can see how that kind of gut punch would take the enjoyment out of a series. That they might not be able to get really invested in other characters out of fear that they're going to be offed. They're going to need to do something special for the season finale in order to win people back and give them a bit of hope that the bad guys aren't going to win it all.

It is the nature of the story but if you hang in there a bit I think you will get some retribution. Jamie Lannister is the guy who pushed a child off a window several stories up because the boy saw him having sex with his sister! He then waylaid the boy's father and was about the most abysmal prick this side of hell. Do you still see him the same way? The story rips your guts out (I closed my Kinlde for a day and a half and said FU after the Red Wedding but came back) and the fact that so many, many people are horrified and angry speaks volumes for what this thing has become. All I can say is GRRM plays no favorites and the best is yet to come. The the story is young.

Edited by Merc14

Here's a good synopsis of the Red Wedding. This video is even more in-depth than the "Inside the Episode" content I watched earlier.

It's interesting that even the producer/director don't know how this is all going to end, so they're in effect flying on the seat of their pants. Only George Martin knows, and really, he doesn't even know because he's entitled to change his mind any time he wants, if his mind is even made up at all. What's most remarkable about the commentary in the following video to me is, the producers are referring to a story where evil wins in the end. They're waiting for that story, and for all they know, it might just turn out to be 'Game of Thrones'.

I found the latest episode a little slow. Until the end of coarse!

The Red Wedding in the show was less gruesome as compared to the book. But I think it was for the better. Anyone else excited for the season finale ?

The Red Wedding in the show was less gruesome as compared to the book. But I think it was for the better. Anyone else excited for the season finale ?

I'm afraid !

• Like 1

To be quite frank, I'm just hoping RR Martin doesn't kill off everyone that's remotely moral and conclude with some real 'evil doer' taking the Iron Throne.

• Like 2

To be quite frank, I'm just hoping RR Martin doesn't kill off everyone that's remotely moral and conclude with some real 'evil doer' taking the Iron Throne.

He said that the final book will be like on the grounds of Lord Of the Rings, so im guessing that Dany could be the future queen

• Like 1

A real evil doer is on the Iron Throne right now but I think you mean killing off all the claimants that are remotely moral, which I think would be all of them.

It seems likely we'll never see the conclusion of the story with the actors on this show unfortunately. Unless Martin alters the timeline of the books by creating a huge hole in the story by skipping years ahead and casting the same actors years from now (or worse dying before he finishes and taking the story's conclusion with him), we're going to end up with lookalikes taking their places and that's never a good idea for production quality. Martin was writing 'A Game of Thrones' 20 years ago. Since then, he's published five books. If it's taking him four years to write each book, that's four years to shut down production for a new season. Many of the people in the books are a lot younger than the actors in the show which makes the chronological gap even worse. The show will have to suffer even if it does somehow reach the end. Or he'll have to start writing three times faster and the books will suffer. Either way, I'm afraid we've hit the high point of the 'Game of Thrones' HBO production.

A real evil doer is on the Iron Throne right now but I think you mean killing off all the claimants that are remotely moral, which I think would be all of them.

It seems likely we'll never see the conclusion of the story with the actors on this show unfortunately. Unless Martin alters the timeline of the books by creating a huge hole in the story by skipping years ahead and casting the same actors years from now (or worse dying before he finishes and taking the story's conclusion with him), we're going to end up with lookalikes taking their places and that's never a good idea for production quality. Martin was writing 'A Game of Thrones' 20 years ago. Since then, he's published five books. If it's taking him four years to write each book, that's four years to shut down production for a new season. Many of the people in the books are a lot younger than the actors in the show which makes the chronological gap even worse. The show will have to suffer even if it does somehow reach the end. Or he'll have to start writing three times faster and the books will suffer. Either way, I'm afraid we've hit the high point of the 'Game of Thrones' HBO production.

The biggest problem is the kids. Arya and Bran get major storlines but they are growing fast. Bran you can hide since he isn't up and walking about but if Arya has a major growth spurt we'll just have to buy into it as she is a phenomenal actress who owns the part and replacing her would be a really bad move. They can't do it IMHO. The rest of the kids are off-screen now and no longer a factor. Cersei aging will play well into her storyline and they have already alluded to this by suggesting she is to old to give Flowers an heir. Regardless, get with it GRRM, I'd liek to continue reading the series.

• Like 1

The biggest problem is the kids. Arya and Bran get major storlines but they are growing fast. Bran you can hide since he isn't up and walking about but if Arya has a major growth spurt we'll just have to buy into it as she is a phenomenal actress who owns the part and replacing her would be a really bad move. They can't do it IMHO. The rest of the kids are off-screen now and no longer a factor. Cersei aging will play well into her storyline and they have already alluded to this by suggesting she is to old to give Flowers an heir. Regardless, get with it GRRM, I'd liek to continue reading the series.

But in the books GRRM does say that some chapters could last a week, a month or even more. So you could say aging does happen in the books

Well, since the book series is incomplete I can't see how it's possible for the mini-series to conclude? Perhaps they'll just stop and leave everything hanging? Doesn't seem to bode well for the viewers though.

• Like 1

Well, since the book series is incomplete I can't see how it's possible for the mini-series to conclude? Perhaps they'll just stop and leave everything hanging? Doesn't seem to bode well for the viewers though.

There is an interview with the producers somewhere in this thread, I believe, where this very issue is discussed by them. I'll try and find it when on a better computer but check out this article on reactions to the Red Wedding.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-game-of-thrones-red-wedding-reaction-twitter-youtube-20130603,0,5089128.story

Wow, people are furious.

• Like 1

It's people who have not read the books and people will continue to watch the series even next season.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned