Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Paranoid Android

Game of Thrones

2,437 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

RabidMongoose
On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, Robotic Jew said:

Predictions for Episode 5:

Greyworm dies

Cleganebowl takes out The Hound and the Mountain

Jaime kills Cersei

Dany learns of Varys and Tyrions plans

Tyrion is eaten by a dragon

Varys is burned to death(or he dives into the sea and swims away with his tail)

Jon and Dany end the episode at odds with each other

Arya helps the Hound and doesn't leave him to die alone

Bronn doesn't get his castle

 

3 right and 1 half right lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind

Right! I've gotten over my disappointment from last week's writing and I'm going into this episode with the usual excitement. I've had no Reddit spoilers to ruin it for me so in 3 hours time I'll be glued to my screen.

On a side not I'll be happy when I can start sleeping again on a Sunday night. Every time I've tried to get an early night I honestly can't sleep because I know the episode will be on in a few hours. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alchopwn
On 5/10/2019 at 1:42 AM, RabidMongoose said:

In the early days there was an episode with a flashback to Cersei as a child visiting a witch.

Cersei asked if she would marry a prince. The witch said no, you will marry a King. 

And she did.  Robert Baratheon, first of his name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose

Well that episode was better, I enjoyed that way more than the others this season.

So an insane Queen lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Careful_perspective

Things I hated:

They built Dany up to this? She was the breaker of chains, she wanted to break the wheel too, in fact, she had that moment with Tyrion when she said they were both the children of terrible men and they would leave the world a better place. 

Euron just splashing out of the water to confront Jaime, perfect timing no?

Jamies arc, everything was lined up for him to kill Cersei, it was there, and nothing. 

Euron and his men can shoot a Dragon 3 times last week, now this week they can't get a single good shot off. 

 

I liked:

Clegane Bowl! Finally got to see the Mountain versus the Hound, very excited about that. 

Qyburn being killed by his monster, Frankenstein style

The acting was amazing, from almost everyone, but especially Lena Headey (Cersei)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
42 minutes ago, Careful_perspective said:

They built Dany up to this? She was the breaker of chains, she wanted to break the wheel too, in fact, she had that moment with Tyrion when she said they were both the children of terrible men and they would leave the world a better place. 

They've been leading to the Mad Queen from the beginning, to be honest, but especially in A Dance with Dragons.The problem is that the show condensed it so much that it felt for some too rushed and unearned.

45 minutes ago, Careful_perspective said:

Euron just splashing out of the water to confront Jaime, perfect timing no?

That's all Euron ever did, come out of nowhere to mess things up. Absolutely terribly written character (and actor) in every way.

47 minutes ago, Careful_perspective said:

Jamies arc, everything was lined up for him to kill Cersei, it was there, and nothing. 

I've read people saying that the conversation with Brienne sounded like he was going to kill her, but it didn't at all. Nothing Jaime ever did or said could lead us to believe he was anything but addicted and devoted to Cersie. Maybe the redemption arc in the books will be better and actually fit with the prophesy, but as far as the show goes it's acceptable to me. He was never going to kill her.

50 minutes ago, Careful_perspective said:

Euron and his men can shoot a Dragon 3 times last week, now this week they can't get a single good shot off.

This really annoyed me. Not this week, because according to lore dragons are supposed to be this effective and difficult to kill, but last week because it was done for no other reason than to shock the viewer, and done lazily at that.

You could almost understand last week if there was any need to level the playing field from a narrative point of view in order for the battle to be more even, but it was a total massacre in minutes with only one dragon, so why the need to kill off the other? 

I have to say though I absolutely loved this episode and it makes sense that Cersie went from a supposedly bigger bad than the Night King to basically nothing, with Dany taking the place of the real end boss of the series in the same moment. It makes sense for the story to have the two main and most loved characters going head to head at the end, rather than the MacGuffin Night King.

Next week it will be Dany v Jon. I predict (even though I've been wrong with basically all my predictions so far) that they both will die and Gendry will end up king. Though Jon has been my favourite character since the beginning, so I'd love for him to win out.

Also, anyone else pick up that Varys was trying to use the kitchen maid to poison the Queen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose

I`m going to predict that Dany kills Jon and then Sansa kills Dany ending up on the Iron Throne.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This really annoyed me. Not this week, because according to lore dragons are supposed to be this effective and difficult to kill, but last week because it was done for no other reason than to shock the viewer, and done lazily at that.

Yea, I thought that was a little inconsistent but then again in last week's episode when the other dragon Rhaegal was killed it was a surprise, they didn't even see the ships and arrows coming.  This time Drogon/Dany did see them coming and that, plus the surprise attack diving down from the sun, seems to have made quite a difference.

I see the various web critics complaining about the episode but I thought it was pretty good. The problem is what you touched on, everything seems so condensed time-wise that we for example don't get to see a more gradual descent into madness/rage by Dany.  I think there are parallels with her and Cersei; although she was never as kind and compassionate as Dany was, she also became much more ruthless as her children were killed, just like Dany.  Since Dany has been in Westeros she's shown restraint and it has cost her every time, Tyrion has been outsmarted consistently (or his compassion interfered with the best strategic moves); not surprised she finally stopped listening to advice, and for better and worse her method did accomplish what she wanted it to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion

Well that was horse****.

There's nothing else to say anymore. And no, I'm not, and never really was a Dany fan.

But still this is horse****.

This was 80 minutes of boring, repetitive, disgusting torture porn.

Like the Passion of the Christ, only shorter.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
56 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

This was 80 minutes of boring, repetitive, disgusting torture porn.

Have you never seen GoT before? :D

Personally I thought it was powerfully and masterfully shot. It really felt like a complete annihilation. At several points during Arya's shots, I thought I could taste the dust in my own mouth, so vivid was the filming of it.

Each to their own I guess.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Have you never seen GoT before? :D

Personally I thought it was powerfully and masterfully shot. It really felt like a complete annihilation. At several points during Arya's shots, I thought I could taste the dust in my own mouth, so vivid was the filming of it.

Each to their own I guess.

Well you must love the Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto then.
It was just repedative and silly after a while.

Usually the torutre porn in GoT is there for a reason and far quicker. But after Season 5, I suppose.

And yeah, I've seen GoT, back when it still made sense.

Edited by Orphalesion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
2 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Well you must love the Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto then.
It was just repedative and silly after a while.

Usually the torutre porn in GoT is there for a reason and far quicker. But after Season 5, I suppose.

And yeah, I've seen GoT, back when it still made sense.

There's a difference between 'torture porn' and accurately depicting what it would be like to be in a city that's being attacked by a fire-breathing dragon to advance a storyline. Calling that episode torture porn is like calling Band of Brothers WW2 torture porn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

There's a difference between 'torture porn' and accurately depicting what it would be like to be in a city that's being attacked by a fire-breathing dragon to advance a storyline. Calling that episode torture porn is like calling Band of Brothers WW2 torture porn.

I haven't seen Band of Brothers but I assume that show had at least a point and reason to their storyline, which the GoT hasn't had since season 4.

Plus well, in Mel Gibson's eyes the torture porn in Passion of the Christ also had a point, doesn't make it good.

I normally don't do this, so I apologize, but I won't reply anymore. Again I'm sorry. Not your fault.

Edited by Orphalesion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
38 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I haven't seen Band of Brothers but I assume that show had at least a point and reason to their storyline, which the GoT hasn't had since season 4.

Plus well, in Mel Gibson's eyes the torture porn in Passion of the Christ also had a point, doesn't make it good.

I normally don't do this, so I apologize, but I won't reply anymore. Again I'm sorry. Not your fault.

It's all good man, you're allowed to have an opinion. I also dislike much about the show in recent years, but this episode I loved. It's also obviously what GRRM has in mind for his ending, just with a shortened journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
30 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I haven't seen Band of Brothers but I assume that show had at least a point and reason to their storyline, which the GoT hasn't had since season 4.

Plus well, in Mel Gibson's eyes the torture porn in Passion of the Christ also had a point, doesn't make it good.

I normally don't do this, so I apologize, but I won't reply anymore. Again I'm sorry. Not your fault.

No, I think I hear what you're saying, there were a lot of shots of the innocents getting obliterated by Drogon and we got the point after a few minutes of it without it being drawn out.  It's not what I would call torture porn though, that usually involves prolonged or gory suffering, like Passion of the Christ and lots of recent horror movies.  All the suffering they showed last night on the other hand was not really that graphic and quick  (Theon/Reek with Ramsay would be much closer to torture porn).

I've read a few online articles from disgruntled fans and I really think that the basis for their criticism ignores reality and information that we've had a long time about the show.  It was clear when they announced the last seasons were coming up that there is no way they could continue to go at the more methodical pace of the show up to that point and be able to wrap things up so quickly.  I think the show was starting to taper off quality-wise before this announcement, the 'jumping the shark' that all TV shows experience eventually, so I'm glad they wrapped it up now as if they had taken a few more seasons people'd instead be complaining about how it's too drawn out and boring.  There are a ton of characters on this show and so many are now rather big celebrities which is cool, but it also brings new and sometimes better opportunities to those actors that can't be pursued if they're on the show, so they leave. Given all these constraints (oh, and the author hasn't actually finished writing the ending of the story yet...) I'm liking this season.

Gotta grant that Euron just happening to come out of the surf at the same time as Jaime is quite the laughable coinkydink, but I like how last night's episode drives the point home about dragons.  Although they've had a few cool battle scenes, the last couple seasons have mainly shown how vulnerable they were, and how awe-inspiring they are to the people who first see them after hearing about them in legend.  Last night was different, Drogon isn't just Dany's big cuddly enforcer on people who clearly deserve it, he is a truly fearsome merciless monster.  Like Dany said if it's not going to be love it will be fear, and she showed there's a lot to fear from dragons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind

I just found this quote: "When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!" - Daenerys season 2.

Maybe not so out of character for her to burn King's Landing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merc14
Posted (edited)

Rotten toaoes has episode 5 at 53% rotten47% fresh, just as many of teh actors and the showrunners predicted.  SOme are going to hate it, some are going to love it.  Personally I am on of the latter with an understanding that here is no way to end this showwhile making everyone hapy, not possile.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s08/e05

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
F3SS
Posted (edited)

I'd like to think Dany did what she did not out of simple rage but to maybe be a martyr in that she became the worst of the worst and nobody will ever tolerate a tyrant again. Perhaps she broke the chain of tyrants because yea she'll be feared but she'll have no loyalty. I'm pretty sure everybody hates her guts now. Especially Jon who can now take his rightful place on the throne (does it even exist now) without his heart and conscience getting in the way. I loved the episode but there has to be some purpose to her actions and in fact the shows entire story besides the message that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Will she be killed, step aside, allow herself to be killed? I don't know but she can't rule now.

The first dragon dying had a purpose. To show how badass the NK was. The second, though taken out in a dumb way I now see was done to push Dany closer to the edge but man was it cool to see the dragon do exactly what we always thought he should do. Dominate. 3 dragons and no plot interference would've really meant she just flew her way from one end of the realm to the other with absolute ease. She was quite overpowered. 

And Apocolypto was GREAT! 

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carlos Allende

I would murder any amount of civilians with my dragon if it meant communism prevailed. Y'know. You were never reunited with ice zombie Ygritte, were you, Jon Snow, so stop pretending you care about capitalism innit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan

I think a lot of people hated it because they were expecting a nice fairy-tale ending with evil Cersei defeated and Dany & Jon marrying, sitting on the IT together, with peace throughout the kingdomes and every lived happily ever after.

Well, it was all foreshadowed by a comment from Ramsey Bolton in season 3: " If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention "

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
10 hours ago, Carlos Allende said:

I would murder any amount of civilians with my dragon if it meant communism prevailed. Y'know. You were never reunited with ice zombie Ygritte, were you, Jon Snow, so stop pretending you care about capitalism innit.

Everyone knows that Jon Snow knows nothing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
17 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I`m going to predict that Dany kills Jon and then Sansa kills Dany ending up on the Iron Throne.

...or Jon kills Dany and marries Sansa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
17 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Rotten toaoes has episode 5 at 53% rotten47% fresh, just as many of teh actors and the showrunners predicted.  SOme are going to hate it, some are going to love it.  Personally I am on of the latter with an understanding that here is no way to end this showwhile making everyone hapy, not possile.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s08/e05

Agreed, it’s just to big. 

Also agreed, great episode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, F3SS said:

For whom the bell tolls mashup to the battle. Awesome edit.

https://streamable.com/pfy2l?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

That was awesome 

“take a look to the sky just before you die, it’s the last time you will” 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.