Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Game of Thrones

Paranoid Android

4 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I thought it was a decent ending for them all.

• Davos becomes Master of Ships
  • Tyrion becomes Hand
  • Sam becomes a Maester 
  • Bran becomes King (which I'm not excited about but don't mind)
  • Sansa becomes a Queen
  • Arya lets go of her murderous past and infatuation with death to go on a grand adventure
  • Jon, in a bittersweet moment, gets sentenced to the Nightswatch only to leave with the Willing, after telling Tormond earlier in the season that he'd like nothing more than to live Beyond the Wall with them

What would you have rather happened to each of the above? For me, they all got pretty good and deserved endings, with us left being sad for Jon.

There is one thing that annoys me a lot about character endings: Bronn gets to be Lord of Highgarden and Master of Coin, after having worked for Cersei and theatening to kill Tyrion ? I mean is it such a good idea to entrust the economy of the kingdom to a person who is notoriously unreliable ?

I get he was a great character in the beginning of the series, but am I the only one who felt that he was just annoying in the last couple of seasons ?

7 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

There is one thing that annoys me a lot about character endings: Bronn gets to be Lord of Highgarden and Master of Coin, after having worked for Cersei and theatening to kill Tyrion ? I mean is it such a good idea to entrust the economy of the kingdom to a person who is notoriously unreliable ?

I get he was a great character in the beginning of the series, but am I the only one who felt that he was just annoying in the last couple of seasons ?

Yeah, I left him off the list for that reason. He was a decent enough rogue character, especially in the earlier seasons, but a completely despicable human being who was only put on that council by D&D to appease his fanbase. It felt stupidly out of place.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

Which endings?

Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Rome to name a few.  HBO used to be very primo, back in Sporano days, but they have slipped a lot.  These days I think Amazon Prime is the gold standard, but that's just my opinion, I won't be at all offended if you disagree.  I think we are lurching out of the so-called Golden Age of TV.  Movies however continue to remain in their Second Dark Age (the first being with the introduction of TV).

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Rome to name a few.  HBO used to be very primo, back in Sporano days, but they have slipped a lot.  These days I think Amazon Prime is the gold standard, but that's just my opinion, I won't be at all offended if you disagree.  I think we are lurching out of the so-called Golden Age of TV.  Movies however continue to remain in their Second Dark Age (the first being with the introduction of TV).

Rome had a pretty great ending and Boardwalk was fine for me. Deadwood I always saved the last season because I didn't want it to end, so I can't comment on that. Though there's a film in development so maybe that will redeem itself in your eyes :) 

I completely disagree though that HBO is lower quality these days. Big Little Lies, Westworld, My Brilliant Friend, Succession, Chernobyl is outstanding so far, The Leftovers was a legitimate masterpiece, The Wire, Six Feet Under, and others. All of these are top, top tier, and even lower quality ones that I haven't mentioned are much, much higher quality than broadcast networks. 

I like Amazon but I don't think it's the gold standard. Man in the High Castle is great, Sneaky Pete is a lot of fun, Bosch, Goliath, Jack Ryan, and Homecoming are nothing special, and Patriot is an absolute masterpiece, but they've a ways to go yet before even being level with Showtime, never mind HBO. Starz as well probably has a slightly better track record than Amazon and they only have 5 shows or something. Netflix has a much better library of originals (and I don't mean their exclusives that they claim as originals) than Amazon.

It's all personal preference of course but that's just my two cents.

• Like 2

On 26/05/2019 at 2:48 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

I thought it was a decent ending for them all.

• Davos becomes Master of Ships
  • Tyrion becomes Hand
  • Sam becomes a Maester 
  • Bran becomes King (which I'm not excited about but don't mind)
  • Sansa becomes a Queen
  • Arya lets go of her murderous past and infatuation with death to go on a grand adventure
  • Jon, in a bittersweet moment, gets sentenced to the Nightswatch only to leave with the Willing, after telling Tormond earlier in the season that he'd like nothing more than to live Beyond the Wall with them

What would you have rather happened to each of the above? For me, they all got pretty good and deserved endings, with us left being sad for Jon.

Let’s see:

the Cardboard Cutout goes to kill Dany but is done in in a duel by Greyworm, but Greyworm dies as well. 

King’s Landing, the Iron Throne, all of it is destroyed by Dany. She then gathers the surviving senior houses and tells them they can call themselves kings and queens for all she cares as long as she is High Queen, the boss of the bosses. She leaves them with one message, don’t **** with Daenerys Stormborn or she’ll go King’s Landing on your holdings. 

As the Night’s Watch consists entirely of Samwell Tarley, it’s decommissioned with great ceremony. The role of keeping the Northmen in line is left to rhe Starks. Something to keep them very busy and out of plotting for the crown. 

Dany also institutes a system whereby the woman may confer her family name upon the man. So houses Stark, Greyjoy and others can continue, she needs stability now, and houses falling apart because there are no male heirs doesn’t create stability. 

King’s Landing is rebuilt as a port city, informally renamed Dragon’s Landing.

Bran returns to the trees, and keeps a close eye on things, even occasionally warging into Drogon, many situations that could have gone very badly mysteriously calm down over the years. Lost children are rescued by wolves, birds spy on those plotting against the crown and against the people. Horses buck arrogant lords at entirely the wrong time, leaving the lord dead.

The former Baratheon holdings become part of the Crown’s Holdings.

Ser Davos Seaworth is appointed as Chatelaine of the Targaryen holdings. He quietly smuggles the enemies of the crown out of the country, including one Arya Stark. After many years, He’s eventually caught and executed via dragon fire for his crimes, his last words are to correct the grammar of Daenerys as she sentences him to death.

Arya wanders aimlessly for years her only drive for years anger she was lost without it, until she ends up at the House of Black and White again. When asked who was there, no one replied. She was never seen again.

Sansa quietly and efficiently ruled the North, including creating “the Queen’s Watch” from disaffected northmen and wildlings. It might take time, generations even, but the North Remembers. She formally adopts war orphans as Starks, one of whom is a small red haired wildling with purple eyes named J’Arn.

Tyrion was asked what he wanted, and after saying Lordship of Casterly Rock, he was awarded it and told in no uncertain terms that he was only to be the ruler of Casterly Rock, if any Lannister’s were seen with eyeshot of a dragon they’d be lunch. Luck finally smiled on him when a message from Bran informed him of a new rich seam of gold, enough to rebuild the family fortune. He ruled well and long, siring many illegitimate children leading to a new joke about the Snowfall at Casterly Rock.

Dany rules for many years, and surprisingly well for someone who started her reign in fire and blood. She dies, after a short illness, and is replaced by her ward and heir, a blue eyed child born on the day the Night King died.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Let’s see:

the Cardboard Cutout goes to kill Dany but is done in in a duel by Greyworm, but Greyworm dies as well. 

King’s Landing, the Iron Throne, all of it is destroyed by Dany. She then gathers the surviving senior houses and tells them they can call themselves kings and queens for all she cares as long as she is High Queen, the boss of the bosses. She leaves them with one message, don’t **** with Daenerys Stormborn or she’ll go King’s Landing on your holdings. 

As the Night’s Watch consists entirely of Samwell Tarley, it’s decommissioned with great ceremony. The role of keeping the Northmen in line is left to rhe Starks. Something to keep them very busy and out of plotting for the crown. 

Dany also institutes a system whereby the woman may confer her family name upon the man. So houses Stark, Greyjoy and others can continue, she needs stability now, and houses falling apart because there are no male heirs doesn’t create stability. 

King’s Landing is rebuilt as a port city, informally renamed Dragon’s Landing.

Bran returns to the trees, and keeps a close eye on things, even occasionally warging into Drogon, many situations that could have gone very badly mysteriously calm down over the years. Lost children are rescued by wolves, birds spy on those plotting against the crown and against the people. Horses buck arrogant lords at entirely the wrong time, leaving the lord dead.

The former Baratheon holdings become part of the Crown’s Holdings.

Ser Davos Seaworth is appointed as Chatelaine of the Targaryen holdings. He quietly smuggles the enemies of the crown out of the country, including one Arya Stark. After many years, He’s eventually caught and executed via dragon fire for his crimes, his last words are to correct the grammar of Daenerys as she sentences him to death.

Arya wanders aimlessly for years her only drive for years anger she was lost without it, until she ends up at the House of Black and White again. When asked who was there, no one replied. She was never seen again.

Sansa quietly and efficiently ruled the North, including creating “the Queen’s Watch” from disaffected northmen and wildlings. It might take time, generations even, but the North Remembers. She formally adopts war orphans as Starks, one of whom is a small red haired wildling with purple eyes named J’Arn.

Tyrion was asked what he wanted, and after saying Lordship of Casterly Rock, he was awarded it and told in no uncertain terms that he was only to be the ruler of Casterly Rock, if any Lannister’s were seen with eyeshot of a dragon they’d be lunch. Luck finally smiled on him when a message from Bran informed him of a new rich seam of gold, enough to rebuild the family fortune. He ruled well and long, siring many illegitimate children leading to a new joke about the Snowfall at Casterly Rock.

Dany rules for many years, and surprisingly well for someone who started her reign in fire and blood. She dies, after a short illness, and is replaced by her ward and heir, a blue eyed child born on the day the Night King died.

That... actually isn't bad. I wouldn't have hated it, though I wouldn't have been crazy about it either - just like the actual ending.

Don't like Dany getting away with murdering a million innocent citizens though and I'd rather have seen Jon end up on the Throne. Also, I liked that Arya managed to move away from her deadly path towards unknown adventures.

Apart from that, I'd have been fine with your ending as well, I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F3SS said:

That was detailed as hell.

I see a career in fan-fiction in his future :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You say that as if it’s a bad thing :P

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2019 at 5:04 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

Rome had a pretty great ending and Boardwalk was fine for me. Deadwood I always saved the last season because I didn't want it to end, so I can't comment on that. Though there's a film in development so maybe that will redeem itself in your eyes :) 

I completely disagree though that HBO is lower quality these days. Big Little Lies, Westworld, My Brilliant Friend, Succession, Chernobyl is outstanding so far, The Leftovers was a legitimate masterpiece, The Wire, Six Feet Under, and others. All of these are top, top tier, and even lower quality ones that I haven't mentioned are much, much higher quality than broadcast networks. 

I like Amazon but I don't think it's the gold standard. Man in the High Castle is great, Sneaky Pete is a lot of fun, Bosch, Goliath, Jack Ryan, and Homecoming are nothing special, and Patriot is an absolute masterpiece, but they've a ways to go yet before even being level with Showtime, never mind HBO. Starz as well probably has a slightly better track record than Amazon and they only have 5 shows or something. Netflix has a much better library of originals (and I don't mean their exclusives that they claim as originals) than Amazon.

It's all personal preference of course but that's just my two cents.

I agree with you about most of this except Six Feet Under and Westworld.  The end of Six Feet Under was super self-indulgent, and second season Westworld was so putrid (even with the benefit of the 2nd Timeline theory), I don't think I will bother with Season 3.

Edited by Alchopwn

On 5/25/2019 at 11:57 AM, Astra. said:

Nope, the dragon should have fried him. 

I actually expected the dragon to try but for him to be "unburnt" like his auntie.

Overall I liked the ending. I would have been disappointed if it ended with Jon or Dany on the throne and it certainly added some depth to Bran's character knowing that he knew the outcome the entire time.

I just wish they would do a spinoff of Arya's journeys west and of the Further Adventures of Giantsbane and Ghost.

On 27/05/2019 at 9:47 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

Apropos fan-fic.... I wrote one of the stories here https://divergent-wordsmiths.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/1/0/111063867/divergent_wordsmiths_l01_-_doctor_who_-_unbound_imaginings_1801181.pdf

PM if you want to know which one.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned