Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The reality of the UK education system

pantodragon

Yes. Or, to be absolutely precise (+ or - 0.3 nanometes), computers and exams are being used to bully me.

I can kind of see your point when it comes to exams in that having to teach to the exam can be frustrating. As for technology, times change. Change with them or be left behind. You may find evolution an interesting topic to consider.

This is a new one on me, I have to say! To be able to express one's thoughts and ideas in simple everyday language makes them harder to understand???!!!..............only for scientists who understand nothing but know a lot of jargon and have taken refuge behind it.

And yet you claim to have been a scientist...

Describing things using words with multiple meanings makes them harder to understand. That should be obvious. Any decent scientist will describe things to the general public in simple terms. In the context of scientific debate or education, however, the correct and accurate terms should be used to avoid confusion. It has nothing to do with considering themselves superior.

If you want to avoid argument don't wave a red rag at a bull. Becayse that's what you are doing, waving a red rag.

I am quite happy to argue with you (although I would prefer an intelligent debate), as evidenced by the fact that this thread is now 9 pages long. Personal attacks, however, are not part of any reasonable person's argument/debate and are forbidden under the forum rules. Just a friendly warning in case the next person you try to insult isn't so tolerant.

. As for technology, times change. Change with them or be left behind. You may find evolution an interesting topic to consider.

A scientist remarked recently that technology is changing so fast that soon we will no longer be able to keep up with it. Change with them or be left behind? Are you being serious?

Describing things using words with multiple meanings makes them harder to understand. That should be obvious.

Scientists talk out of context, based on no grounds. The context is vital and it is the context that gives precision to meaning and makes it unambiguous.

Any decent scientist will describe things to the general public in simple terms.

In that case, I have yet to encounter a decent scientist. Actually, the (eminent) scientists I hear on tv or radio are more often to be heard sniping at one another than explaining things to the public: Steve Jones is a right one for having a go at physicists.

In the context of scientific debate or education, however, the correct and accurate terms should be used to avoid confusion. It has nothing to do with considering themselves superior.

I stand by what I said. Scientists and other academics hide behind their jargon.

Personal attacks, however, are not part of any reasonable person's argument/debate and are forbidden under the forum rules. Just a friendly warning in case the next person you try to insult isn't so tolerant.

Tolerant? You mean like the Inquisition was tolerant of heretics? Get yourself some backbone and stop sniveling and running to the rules like a wean running to its mammy, for goodness sakes!! The following therapy might help:

Watch the film GI Jane, and take a lesson. Take particular note of what Master Chief quotes to recruits when they start whimpering:

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.

A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough

without ever having felt sorry for itself”

It used to be said: When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Today things have changed and the saying needs to be rewritten thus: When the going gets tough, the tough get PTSD. (PTSD = Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)

One of my ambitions, which I have not yet mentioned, is to re-order the human evolutionary tree and re-instate Australopithecus robustus and Homo erectus as direct ancestors of modern man, and get rid of Homo crawlius-on-the-bellius (or was that a Roman general related to Ginandtonicus?) and Homo habilis (aka Homo touchius-feelius). (You are right, evolution is an interesting topic to consider.)

Actually, you may not know this, but there is a type of therapy which relies on abuse for its effect. See the film Local Hero where the head of a large oil corporation is taking abuse from his therapist Moritz for the sake of his health.

This is actually an interesting film on another account: it is in that British tradition of lovely, nice, gentle, cosy, villagey, rural cinema. But the atmosphere turns menacing right at the end when the “lovely” villagers turn against the one person who is blocking their ambitions. This is really a very nasty scene. This is a Lord of the Flies moment when what is called “the veneer of civilisation” is stripped back and people’s true nature comes through. (But if you’ve been following my posts, you will know that this is not man’s true nature: this is man addicted to power.) This is the true nature of the rose. It smells so sweet and looks so pretty, but it has thorns. In fact, this is the point of the rose: it lures with its prettiness and its sweet smell so that people will grasp its thorns and blood will be spilt.

But as I’ve said time and again, bad behaviour rebounds on the perpetrator:

“O Rose, thou art sick.

The invisible worm

That flies in the night

In the howling storm

Has found out thy bed

Of crimson joy,

And his dark secret love

Does thy life destroy.”

Edited by pantodragon

A scientist remarked recently that technology is changing so fast that soon we will no longer be able to keep up with it. Change with them or be left behind? Are you being serious?

Yes. And if you had an ounce of sense or ability about you, you might have adapted and had a chance as a teacher. Rather than having to blame everyone else for your incompetence.

Scientists talk out of context, based on no grounds. The context is vital and it is the context that gives precision to meaning and makes it unambiguous.

In that case, I have yet to encounter a decent scientist. Actually, the (eminent) scientists I hear on tv or radio are more often to be heard sniping at one another than explaining things to the public: Steve Jones is a right one for having a go at physicists.

I stand by what I said. Scientists and other academics hide behind their jargon.

Then I've no option to consider you a liar or delusional. To claim that you were once a scientist but exhibit such a woefully insufficient understanding of science and scientists makes no sense. I prefer not to waste my time arguing with people who are deluded or liars so I think this debate is done.

Tolerant? You mean like the Inquisition was tolerant of heretics? Get yourself some backbone and stop sniveling and running to the rules like a wean running to its mammy, for goodness sakes!! The following therapy might help:

I had no idea someone who's been through your terrible ordeals (which are obviously anyone's fault but yours) could be so naive. Someone less tolerant would have reported you first time. This is your second chance. Once is a mistake, twice is foolishness, a third time is deliberate.

Perhaps you could take your own advice: Rather than whinging to everyone about how everyone is out to get you and obsessed with power, grow your own backbone and either find a job you're capable of or train to be good at the one you have.

Just don't blame your failings on other people, least of all the children you're supposed to be educating. What kind of example does that set? If the going gets tough just give up and blame everyone else? Pathetic...

Edited by Setton

.... If the going gets tough....

At least you read the therapy suggestion. If even a little of it has penetrated, I shall not consider that I have wasted my time.

"Priest: Always one, isn't there? Now, where were we?

Matthias: Look, I don't think it ought to be blasphemy, just

saying "Jehova"!

Women disguised as bearded men: Aiiih! He did!

Priest: You're only making it worse for yourself!

Matthias: Making it worse? How could it be worse? Jehova,

Jehova, Jehova!

Women disguised as bearded men: Aiiih!

Priest: I'm warning you! If you say Jehova once more...

Rock thrown at Priest: [bladonk]

Priest: Right! Who threw that?

Matthias: Hehehe...

Priest: Come on! Who threw that?

Women disguised as bearded men: She did! She did! She did!

Him! Him! Him!

Priest: Was it you?

Woman II: Yes.

Priest: Right...

Woman II: Well, you did say Jehova!

Women disguised as bearded men: Aiiih!"

At least you read the therapy suggestion. If even a little of it has penetrated, I shall not consider that I have wasted my time.

Yes, as I have for the last 9 pages, I read your whole post. Now if only you could extend the same courtesy...