Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

27-Year-Old British Cat, World's Oldest?

Still Waters

On March 6, a British cat called Wadsworth celebrated his 27th birthday, possibly making him the world's oldest feline.

Waddy, as he is more commonly known, is named after the British beer. He has lived with owner Ann Munday in Bedfordshire, England, since 1986. She adopted the cat when he was just 4 weeks old and had apparently been thrown out by his previous owners for being too small.

http://www.huffingto...s&ir=Weird News

Ack how sweet and adorable! He actually has a look to him of an oap, kind of wisened and weary.

• Like 2

Daww Kitteh Dx Don't tempt me with Cats. :cry:

How do they know there isn't an older one tucked away in some Japanese bungalow? How do they know this one's age (I've never seen a cat birth certificate, although I would guess they do exist).

I had an old cat, "Shadow" because she was grey-black, who had massive malignancies at 22 and had to be put down. She was a sweet one, purring as she died.

• Like 1

At 27 this is a very remarkable cat. But I can't even begin to imagine a 38 year old cat. What is that in cat-years...200??

At 27 this is a very remarkable cat. But I can't even begin to imagine a 38 year old cat. What is that in cat-years...200??

I think you mean, "What is that in human years?" Well it's simple proportion. If 27 is 125 human years then 38 is 176 human years, (rounded up). How do they come up with these human equivalent years anyway? The figures here are far too high in my opinion!

176 sounds about right.

I think they take sexual maturity and average lifespan and template that onto the human equivalent.

Edited by DieChecker

dude this feline is awesome and cool!!!:)wow i hope i live up to that age 125 years and more.wow that cat is old but awesome and full of wisdom and experiences.i have to meet wadsworth.ask him what's his or her secret lol but this is awesome story though

I think you mean, "What is that in human years?" Well it's simple proportion. If 27 is 125 human years then 38 is 176 human years, (rounded up). How do they come up with these human equivalent years anyway? The figures here are far too high in my opinion!

It's a decent guideline to give us an idea but the human and cat curves plotting survival on age surely aren't the exact same shape (measuring the slope over any/all points of a curve) over each one's respective lifetime. It would seem that at higher values of age, the two curves diverge and the simple proportion becomes much less accurate of an estimate.

our cat mischief has celebrated her 21st birthday .... she moved in with us after being left at a Women's Refuge Centre - fortunately she moved in with us next door .... just a bit deaf with a bit of renal failure but with the right care and attention she is doing fine. She had a check up last week - kidneys are fine with no scarring, has put on a bit of weight and is doing fine. Eating anything in site... but doing well...

our cat mischief has celebrated her 21st birthday .... she moved in with us after being left at a Women's Refuge Centre - fortunately she moved in with us next door .... just a bit deaf with a bit of renal failure but with the right care and attention she is doing fine. She had a check up last week - kidneys are fine with no scarring, has put on a bit of weight and is doing fine. Eating anything in site... but doing well...

Happy birthday Mischief! And many more! :D

We have a 17 and 16 year old cat here, both were born in our home too. Hopefully will hang around for many more years.

That's awesome! :tsu:

Unfortunately I've never had a cat longer than 6 years with their lives ending in terrible accidents with either vehicles or other animals! :cry:

Happy birthday wadsworth I hope I get to your age and more.then we could be two me and you against the world lol jk

Like a fine wine, cats seem to improve in personality with age. Nice to have fur too, as it never grays.

Like a fine wine, cats seem to improve in personality with age. Nice to have fur too, as it never grays.

I think it is because they sleep more as they get older. :yes: :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Cats seem to have a built in homing beacon. If you move to another home miles away, some cats will

walk back to the old home that they're used to.

Cats seem to have a built in homing beacon. If you move to another home miles away, some cats will

walk back to the old home that they're used to.

Some of my friends dropped off a 1 year old cat they did not want up in the nearby mountains, about 40 miles away. 6 years later the cat turned back up and started living in their house again.