Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three questions plus one

danielost

Science and religon are trying to answer three basic guestions.

1. Where did I come from?

2. Who am I?

3. Where am I going.

Religon trys to answer one more question.

4. Is this enough for me?

Hello Daniel, I think these questions are good ones. That one is even asking these things is wonderful IMO. They can be addressed and answered from many perspectives, ( this is why we educate ourselves and our youth-- to expose us to many ideas, not to limit us to a few.)

I think the important point is to have many ways to ask and answer questions ( not be limited to just one answer-- or one perspective.) For me-- and what I taught my kids is to look at things in many ways, it is in this we increase our own understanding, knowledge, tolerance, it is in this we add to our own sense of self-- and most importantly-- we increase our own options as far as problem solving.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Your first year of life is year zero. At the moment of your birth you start at zero,then 365 days later you turn 1 year old . One second later you enter your second year of life,even though you're not two yet, you are in the second year. The first year ACE was year zero,the first year after the Big Bang was year zero.

No actually, the year you are born is year one. You celabrte it after the year is over.

No actually, the year you are born is year one. You celabrte it after the year is over.

You're not one year old until you turn one year old,and after that point you enter your second year. I don't know how old you are, but let's say you turned 15 yesterday,right now you are actually in your 16th year of life.You are not 16 yet but you are working you're way through you're 16th year.

Think of each billion years as a century.Now, the calendar tells us it's the year 2013,yet we are in the 21st century. That's because counting years doesn't start at one, it starts at zero.

I think you are right. A child one year old is in their second year. As i said, it was my maths that was wrong. I started the example right, then should have worked out that a child aged 13.7 is in their 14 th year But of course this is a construct and convention used in the gregorian calendar. One could start counting at 0 using a different convention. From memory, some cultures do/did have a different age system for children. Their first birthday was celebrated at birth, their second when they turned one.

Is what enough ? or are you just answering a question with a question as normal for you

fullywired :whistle:

Is altzheimers a reason enough? You gave it as one. Daniel's last question was, "Is that enough for you ?" You quoted his first 3 questions and your reply ( which I assumed was to his last question) was, "Altzheimers????"

Yes I understood you were being funny especially on a third or fourth reading. So was I, and also illustrating how easy it is to misunderstand a poster's comment or remark.

At first I honestly thought you were saying alzheimers was your reason for living. (I have lived with people consumed by altzheimers and indeed it can be all that exists of living.) At one point my main purpose in living was the care of my wife's parents who both had terminal progressive altzheimers. I thought maybe you were in a similar position.Only after a third or fourth reading did i get your joke relating to daniels first 3 questions, and not his fourth at all.

Edited by Mr Walker

Well in Vietnam your age is set by how many Tets you've celebrated, so if you were born a week before Tet you become one year old right away but if you were born a week after Tet its an entire year before you become one year old. In effect everyone "ages" a year the same day.

By the way, don't let that make you think kids here had any problem also accepting the Western idea of birthdays, since they have ice cream and cake and presents.

Your first year of life is year zero. At the moment of your birth you start at zero,then 365 days later you turn 1 year old . One second later you enter your second year of life,even though you're not two yet, you are in the second year. The first year ACE was year zero,the first year after the Big Bang was year zero.

Your correct when your aging something. But, when your just counting days of the week or th year, it works the other way round.

Ie, if the day is Monday your not actually in Tuesday, it is Monday. The samething if the yer is 2013, it isn't 2014, it is still 2013. So, if it is 13.7 it is still the 13th day until midnight. That is of course assuming that god starts the day at midnight.

Your correct when your aging something. But, when your just counting days of the week or th year, it works the other way round.

Ie, if the day is Monday your not actually in Tuesday, it is Monday. The samething if the yer is 2013, it isn't 2014, it is still 2013. So, if it is 13.7 it is still the 13th day until midnight. That is of course assuming that god starts the day at midnight.

The key word in your post is"counting" days of the week.Monday, Tuesday etc, are names of days not dates.Now start with the year 2000 as the beginning of this century and count up to 13. when you get to 14 fingers or pennies or whatever you'll see the error of your accounting.

I think you are right. A child one year old is in their second year. As i said, it was my maths that was wrong. I started the example right, then should have worked out that a child aged 13.7 is in their 14 th year But of course this is a construct and convention used in the gregorian calendar. One could start counting at 0 using a different convention. From memory, some cultures do/did have a different age system for children. Their first birthday was celebrated at birth, their second when they turned one.

Is altzheimers a reason enough? You gave it as one. Daniel's last question was, "Is that enough for you ?" You quoted his first 3 questions and your reply ( which I assumed was to his last question) was, "Altzheimers????"

Yes I understood you were being funny especially on a third or fourth reading. So was I, and also illustrating how easy it is to misunderstand a poster's comment or remark.

At first I honestly thought you were saying alzheimers was your reason for living. (I have lived with people consumed by altzheimers and indeed it can be all that exists of living.) At one point my main purpose in living was the care of my wife's parents who both had terminal progressive altzheimers. I thought maybe you were in a similar position.Only after a third or fourth reading did i get your joke relating to daniels first 3 questions, and not his fourth at all.

I never mentioned the fourth .,There were question marks after the my answer,suggesting that in my opinion Alzheimer's was a possible answer to the first three and made more sense than some of the posts

As to the the disease itself, .my friend's wife is terminally ill with it and has not long to go ,so I understand full well the effects of it

fullywired

The key word in your post is"counting" days of the week.Monday, Tuesday etc, are names of days not dates.Now start with the year 2000 as the beginning of this century and count up to 13. when you get to 14 fingers or pennies or whatever you'll see the error of your accounting.

Today is march 20th It will not be march 21st until midnight. That means this is the 20th day of march. We re in the 13th day of the world according to the bibles count.

Today is march 20th It will not be march 21st until midnight. That means this is the 20th day of march. We re in the 13th day of the world according to the bibles count.

Does the Bible say we're in the 13th day of the world (as you state here) as in earth, or the universe as you stated earlier? Edited by Royal

Does the Bible say we're in the 13th day of the world (as you state here) as in earth, or the universe as you stated earlier?

Does the Bible say we're in the 13th day of the world (as you state here) as in earth, or the universe as you stated earlier?

The bible says the thirteenth day of creation.

The formation of the earth began when the universe was created. This is true if you do or do not believe in god.

Edited by danielost

The bible says the thirteenth day of creation.

The formation of the earth began when the universe was created. This is true if you do or do not believe in god.

If the Bible says it's the 13th day of creation, then that has no correlation to the age of the universe......as for the formation of the earth that happened a little over 4.5 billion years BP. Now if you're referring to the elements it took to create earth you are probably right.

If the Bible says it's the 13th day of creation, then that has no correlation to the age of the universe......as for the formation of the earth that happened a little over 4.5 billion years BP. Now if you're referring to the elements it took to create earth you are probably right.

Yes, I was talking about all the pieces that made the earth.

Gen 1. The earth was with out form.

Your counting is off by 1. As there is no zero year, you start counting at one. The 21st didn't start until 2001. It's ok many people get that wrong.

Your counting is off by 1. As there is no zero year, you start counting at one. The 21st didn't start until 2001. It's ok many people get that wrong.

I was also under the impression that there was a year zero because that's what I was taught in school by different teachers.

The distinction between "cardinal" numbers (one, two, three) and "ordinal" numbers (first, second, third), is a common characteristic of Indo-European languages.

There is a cardinal zero, there is no ordinal zero, since saying something is before the first of a sequence has no meaning.

That there is no year zero is a different matter. The cardinal count of the years goes from 1 BCE to 1 CE. This is because when the common year numbering system was developed the idea of a number "0" was not understood.

Therefore the number of years between 1 BCE and 1 CE is zero. This means that to calculate the number of years between any two years, one of them BCE and one CE, one subtracts one from the normal subtraction

When counting centuries, one remembers that the "first" century is the century before the year 100. Since the year 0 does not exist, the first "century" includes the year 100. (With other ordinal numbers it would not -- only with year counts that go from BCE to CE).

This is all kinda confusing. I studied it as an advanced English student, but I don't think most people need concern themselves with it.

I stand corrected. Edited by Royal

Not quite. Since there was no year zero, the year one was the first year. That means the 99th year ended Dec. 31, 99. Ninety-nine years is not a century. Therefore the first century ended the next year -- Dec. 31, 100. All of the year 100 was in the first century and the first century did not end until Dec. 31, 100. The first day of the second century was Jan. 1, 101.

Carry this forward and the same thing happens each century, so the 20th century did not end until Dec. 31, 2000 and the 21st century began Jan. 1, 2001.

This is not of course the way it was celebrated, although reporters at the time pointed it out often enough.

• Like 1

Not quite. Since there was no year zero, the year one was the first year. That means the 99th year ended Dec. 31, 99. Ninety-nine years is not a century. Therefore the first century ended the next year -- Dec. 31, 100. All of the year 100 was in the first century and the first century did not end until Dec. 31, 100. The first day of the second century was Jan. 1, 101.

Carry this forward and the same thing happens each century, so the 20th century did not end until Dec. 31, 2000 and the 21st century began Jan. 1, 2001.

This is not of course the way it was celebrated, although reporters at the time pointed it out often enough.

And we did indeed celebrate,but I learn something every day.

Now my original stance that after the Big Bang we started at zero and did not reach the 1 billion year mark until after a billion years had passed,so by this calculation we are in the 14th billion year timeline(even though the Universe is only 13.77 billion years old). Why, because we started counting time at zero.

Thursday unless your in eastern asia he its fruday.

Actually at the moment here in Vietnam its 9:09 pm Thursday March 21. Won't be Friday for about three more hours.

So, what day is it?

It's somewhere around the

5,026,050,000,000 day

but it looks like there could be a 10 million day margin of error. So it's hard to tell what day of the week it should be. I wonder if leap year still counts before the solar system formed?

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1