Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who, What, Why.

Commander CMG

He said he didn’t know what it meant?

Absolute Rubbish.

A 20-year-old Greek footballer has been banned for life from playing for his national team after a controversial goal celebration in which he appeared to give a Nazi salute. The player says he hadn't understood the meaning of the gesture - but is it possible, in 2013, for a European to be so poorly informed?

Read More

Edited by xsas

That's about the silliest excuse since Dieter "I didn't dope - someone must have put the stuff in my toothpaste" Baumann.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Maybe he did it without thinking about it and wasn't trying to give a Nazi salute, unless all those tattoo's are Nazi themed. Its also a Roman salute. I think banning him for life is a little much.

• Like 1

Maybe Prince Harry should have used that excuse after going to that fancy dress party as a Nazi soldier LOL.

Have to say, I think if most football leagues were as tough it would be better in the long run in sorting out the spoilt brats who think they can get away with whatever they want, on and off the pitch.

It looks to me like the Golden Dawn are making the authorities a bit twitchy! I wonder....would his punishment have been so severe had he given the clenched-fist salute so beloved by followers of that other mass-murderer, 'Uncle' Joe Stalin?

• Like 3

Maybe he did it without thinking about it and wasn't trying to give a Nazi salute, unless all those tattoo's are Nazi themed. Its also a Roman salute. I think banning him for life is a little much.

I thought the Roman salute was right hand (clenched) to left breast, then sharply out at shoulder level, hand and fingers extended... The Nazi salute was (if I recall) the left hand and arm rigidly extended at an upward angle...

Picky I know, and I have no doubts this doofus did not mean a Roman salute....

Most Greeks, though, still haven't forgiven the Germans for them invading their country.

I thought the Roman salute was right hand (clenched) to left breast, then sharply out at shoulder level, hand and fingers extended... The Nazi salute was (if I recall) the left hand and arm rigidly extended at an upward angle...

Picky I know, and I have no doubts this doofus did not mean a Roman salute....

Ealdwita mega-snippet.....

The Nazi salute Hitlergruß, and the Roman salute Saluto Romano, are exactly similar - the 'arm across the breast' is pure Hollywood! Although similar, the two gestures are entirely unrelated. In fact, no record of the so-called 'Roman' salute exists until the 18th.Century painting 'Oath of the Horatii' by Jaques-Louis David! It was left to the 19th. and 20th. Century films to fix the idea of the salute being an ancient Roman custom!

Hitler's version of the origins of the Nazi salute......

"I made it the salute of the Party long after the Duce had adopted it. I'd read the description of the sitting of the Diet of Wurms, in the course of which Luther was greeted with the German salute. It was to show him that he was not being confronted with arms, but with peaceful intentions. In the days of Frederick the Great, people still saluted with their hats, with pompous gestures. In the Middle Ages the serfs humbly doffed their bonnets, whilst the noblemen gave the German salute. It was in the Ratskeller at Bremen, about the year 1921, that I first saw this style of salute. It must be regarded as a survival of an ancient custom, which originally signified: "See, I have no weapon in my hand!" I introduced the salute into the Party at our first meeting in Weimar. The SS at once gave it a soldierly style. It's from that moment that our opponents honored us with the epithet "dogs of Fascists".

—Adolf Hitler, Hitler's Table Talk (3rd. January 1942)
Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 3

It looks to me like the Golden Dawn are making the authorities a bit twitchy! I wonder....would his punishment have been so severe had he given the clenched-fist salute so beloved by followers of that other mass-murderer, 'Uncle' Joe Stalin?

Or perhaps the two fingered salute (which I favour), used by Winston.
  • Like 2

Place thumb of either hand to nose,and waggle fingers.

• Like 1

Or perhaps the two fingered salute (which I favour), used by Winston.

And Lurcio!

British-comic-actor-Frank-008_zps920f3df5.jpg

"Yes, and 'Salute' to you too, missus!"

• Like 2

They should be banning soccer, not one player.

Football (soccer to you),is played on all habitable Continents,by people of all races,which cannot be said of any other sport except fishing,however fishing does not have a massive spectator following.So you are definitely in a minority.
  • Like 2

Football (soccer to you),is played on all habitable Continents,by people of all races,which cannot be said of any other sport

That's because anyone can play it.

A stupid football player? Surely not?

HA HA HA , I wouldn't mind being Stupid for £80/100,000 a week or more.
  • Like 1

They should be banning soccer, not one player.

and the dumbest post in all UM time goes to......

• Like 1

HA HA HA , I wouldn't mind being Stupid for £80/100,000 a week or more.

Me either.

Edited by Sweetpumper
  • Like 1

I gotta let you in on a little secret; the football watched in Vietnam -- and watched passionately, is British and Spanish league play. It's in the bars live and on several TV channels and no end of money is wagered on it. Oh, yes, there is Vietnamese football, but, really . . . (except one time when they beat Singapore -- that was a few years ago).

By the way, don't go around Vietnam flashing Nazi symbols and salutes. Worse could happen than just being banned from football (although usually foreigners who do that sort of thing just get kicked out of the country, don't count on it).

I don't agree with Nazi thinking, obviously, but since when are we allowed to tell somebody what they can and cannot believe, religious or political? I was under the impression we were living in a democratic and free world. Then I remember my country is in a dictatorship known as the EU :w00t:

Pretty much for the same reason you can't shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater, or get into a crowd and yell a racial slur, or otherwise perform an action to encite a disturbance (i.e. riot)... A person is free to believe or think whatever the heck they want... But there are consequences to acting on those beliefs or speaking those words...

Another way to put it... "Your freedom to swing your fist, ends at my nose."

The Nazi fascism was undemocratic, dictatorial, misleading, war mongering and one of the most, if not the most misanthropic ideology ever put into practice. It cost the life of tens of millions of people, and I see no reason why we should tolerate that, even in a "free" (we are all obliged to follow certain rules) society. It does nothing but the spread of hate.

Actually, giving the Nazi salute is a crime in Germany, and I very much support this.

• Like 2

As a teen i used to give the Nazi salute whenever i saw fellow shool mate we called "little hitler" (i can't for the life of me remember why he had that name, none of us were particularly racist or political) and i admit that i didn't understand it fully at 13. But to be arrested for a salute? or a political ideal? Sounds very anti-freedom of speach and scaremongering, much like a Nazi policy, .

No? We put people in torture camps too. We invade any country we like too, with zero just cause. We're stuck in a dictatorship too, doesn't matter who you vote for; same ****, different *******.

Seems pretty similar to me...

The torture camp is supposed to be Guantanamo? Are there European ones? Which countries has the EU invaded? Who is the EU's dictator? I see a distinct difference in policies according to which party is forming the German government. The EU elections are confusing, as is the whole system, I agree. But it's not a dictatorship.

Also: No minority is being killed for them being them. Kids are not forced into a certain ideology. People are not valued upon made up 'sciences'. No formation of paramilitary groups. No mandatory draft.

No matter how you twist it, you cannot compare the contemporary systems of the USA or EU to that in Germany under the fascist Nazi regime. You might not like it, alright, but it is nowhere near that.

Edit: Choice of words; foreign language.

Edited by FLOMBIE