Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope Francis has Official Inauguration

libstaK

Thousand's packed St Peter's Square for the Official Inauguration of Pope Frances.

It was with a call for the protection of the weakest in society that Francis was officially inaugurated Tuesday as the Catholic Church's 266th pontiff, before a crowd of tens of thousands bathed in sunlight.

Before he spoke, he was given the official symbols of his papacy: a lamb's wool shawl, to represent his role as "the good shepherd," and the Fisherman's Ring, to represent his role of spreading the gospel.

The ring is not solid gold like that of his predecessors, but made of gold-plated silver -- again reflecting his desire for simplicity.

He spoke too of the need to protect "all creation, the beauty of the created world" as instructed by the Bible and shown by St. Francis of Assisi, whose name he took as pope.

This, he said, "means respecting each of God's creatures and respecting the environment in which we live. It means protecting people, showing loving concern for each and every person, especially children, the elderly, those in need, who are often the last we think about."

Excerpts from below CNN article:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/19/world/europe/vatican-new-pope/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

• Like 2

I think he is going to 'shake things up' for the RCC. I bet the 'Curia' are shaking in their boots. It's quite a thing having a 'Jesuit Pope.' :yes:

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

Me and my mom watched it.i have to say it was really peacefull really moving.

• Like 1