Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Xbox 720 XDK confirms mandatory game installs

ExpandMyMind

At the beginning of February there was a rumor that Microsoft intended to make the Xbox 720 require an Internet connection to function. In doing so, it would ultimately wipe out the used games market for the next-gen console. That rumor has now been backed up by a document included with the Xbox development kit for the new hardware, known as the XDK.

Installing the XDK opens up access to the help documentation and a page titled “Durango Hardware Overview.” Now this document is marked as preliminary and subject to change, but goes into detail about what to expect the Xbox 720 hardware to include.

The key part of this document is in paragraph 6, which states that every Durango console will include a hard drive big enough to hold a “large number of games.” The machine will also not support “play from the optical disc.” The next paragraph details how games will ship on Blu-ray discs, must be installed, but will allow play to start as the installation is happening (similar to the system Sony is using for the PS4).

-------------

The fact games don’t use the optical drive and media post install would mean you could give the game to someone else to install. Microsoft won’t accept that so it looks pretty much guaranteed you’ll have to activate your game online and therefore tie the copy to your account. In other words, no game trade ins or a used game market.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/xbox-720-xdk-document-confirms-mandatory-game-installs-always-connected-console-20130320/

Goodbye Microsoft, hello PS4.

• Like 2

Kuh-rap!

Well, see this is what I am going to do, continue to buy pre-owned 360 and new releases until I am completely happy with my personal library otherwise I have been turned to the Darkside too.

If this has indeed been confirmed and there is very little slim chance this is unfounded, I could care less if Microsoft went the way of Sega.

This means that u can install the game like the 360.anyways iam geting a ps

Ms will lose people doing all this stuff

I plan on keeping my 360 console and obtaining a 40-60 game library and holding on to that, alot of the games I want are cheapies anyways under $10 or $20 with several new releases coming out this year.

Then I will move on to the PS4.

If they do this i swear to god i will buy a playstation.

Kuh-rap!

Well, see this is what I am going to do, continue to buy pre-owned 360 and new releases until I am completely happy with my personal library otherwise I have been turned to the Darkside too.

If this has indeed been confirmed and there is very little slim chance this is unfounded, I could care less if Microsoft went the way of Sega.

It's not been confirmed by Microsoft, just (supposedly) a games developer working on the new platform.

I've been thinking, and I might just work on a high end PC instead.

It's not been confirmed by Microsoft, just (supposedly) a games developer working on the new platform.

I've been thinking, and I might just work on a high end PC instead.

High end PC...? Hmmm... Planetside 2 and Hawken...! *staried eyed*

That might not be a bad idea.

High end PC...? Hmmm... Planetside 2 and Hawken...! *staried eyed*

That might not be a bad idea.

Well the thing about a PC is that you can get a mid-range one for quite a reasonable price then upgrade it as time goes by. That is, if you are like me and don't have the cash for a truly high end quad core i7 processor and high end graphics card.

PC is the way to go, there is rumours Sony are doing this as well and I wouldn't put it past them at all.

But in a way PC is already doing this now with the likes of steam and origin etc, but it tends to be a lot cheaper.

I doubt i will be buying nay of the next gen consoles. Said before though, would love Sega to make a come back in the console market.

• Like 1

PC is the way to go, there is rumours Sony are doing this as well and I wouldn't put it past them at all.

But in a way PC is already doing this now with the likes of steam and origin etc, but it tends to be a lot cheaper.

I doubt i will be buying nay of the next gen consoles. Said before though, would love Sega to make a come back in the console market.

sega genesis ftw!

• Like 3

sega genesis ftw!

It was called the Mega Drive over here, but a lot of games here had "Genesis" down the side and it wasn't until years later that I realised why. lol

• Like 1

Pretty sure i read sony stated used games are safe and will be appearing on there system.

Pretty sure i read sony stated used games are safe and will be appearing on there system.

Yes Sony has confirmed PS4 will not block used games. I doubt NextBox will either. Both Sony and MS will work with publishers to come up with other ways to make money from used games, such as Online Passes.

MS and Sony have decided to switch directions this next generation apparently. The 720 has mandatory game installs, mandatory always on, always connected, camera always going, no used games. The PS4 seems to give users more freedom and flexibility in terms of how they want to play and interact, nothing seems forced at all. Also, the PS4 is rumored to be 30% more powerful. It could all be a tactic my MS though. Letting everyone expect the worst, then deliver the best. Balmer can be pretty slick from time to time.

Edited by WoIverine

If this is true I'm done with microsoft.

My brother works in the games dept. at microsoft, I'll ask him when I see him on Easter. Not sure if I'll switch to PS I may just stop gaming and become even better on the guitar (if that's even possible).

• Like 1

The Dreamcast was one of the best consoles I've ever had, nearly every game released was good! It was pretty amazing for it's limited time on the market.

• Like 2

If this is true I'm done with microsoft.

My brother works in the games dept. at microsoft, I'll ask him when I see him on Easter. Not sure if I'll switch to PS I may just stop gaming and become even better on the guitar (if that's even possible).

Yeah man, I hear you there. I need to get my ass back to the gym. Gotta bulk up again, took some time off for a while, so will have to slowly work my way back in there.

Edited by WoIverine

Keep in mind this same rumor was going around about xbox 360.

Man oh man, I hope we see a new Rocksteady title on the current gen. Would love a new Arkham game, or something even better.

• Like 2

The Dreamcast was one of the best consoles I've ever had, nearly every game released was good! It was pretty amazing for it's limited time on the market.

And it was hooked up to the internet (albeit slow internet). The problem with the Dreamcast was that it was ahead of its time. Sadly, sometimes that happens with technology and ideas.

• Like 1

Man oh man, I hope we see a new Rocksteady title on the current gen. Would love a new Arkham game, or something even better.

Batman Arkham Origins reportedly coming to PS4 and new Xbox

Rocksteady game tipped for E3 reveal and late 2013 release

By Tom Ivan for CVG UK

Batman Arkham Origins is reportedly in development at Rocksteady Studios for current and next gen consoles.

The rumour originates from French site Gameblog, which says it was tipped off about the game by unnamed industry sources.

As has previously been rumoured, the report claims the title will be a prequel inspired by the Silver Age of comics and featuring appearances from a number of Justice League members such as Superman and Green Lantern.

Gameblog's sources also suggest Batman Arkham Origins will be revealed at E3 and released in the third quarter of 2013.

While it hasn't been officially announced, the next entry in the Batman: Arkham series will be released this year, Time Warner quietly revealed in an earnings call last month.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398442/batman-arkham-origins-reportedly-coming-to-ps4-and-new-xbox/

• Like 2

Batman Arkham Origins reportedly coming to PS4 and new Xbox

Rocksteady game tipped for E3 reveal and late 2013 release

By Tom Ivan for CVG UK

Batman Arkham Origins is reportedly in development at Rocksteady Studios for current and next gen consoles.

The rumour originates from French site Gameblog, which says it was tipped off about the game by unnamed industry sources.

As has previously been rumoured, the report claims the title will be a prequel inspired by the Silver Age of comics and featuring appearances from a number of Justice League members such as Superman and Green Lantern.

Gameblog's sources also suggest Batman Arkham Origins will be revealed at E3 and released in the third quarter of 2013.

While it hasn't been officially announced, the next entry in the Batman: Arkham series will be released this year, Time Warner quietly revealed in an earnings call last month.

http://www.computera...4-and-new-xbox/

Awesome!! Can't wait! Thanks man, I had heard that Rocksteady wasn't going to be involved with the new Arkham game, but this is great news! It looks like it will be released for PS4 and the 720.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

MS and Sony have decided to switch directions this next generation apparently. The 720 has mandatory game installs, mandatory always on, always connected, camera always going, no used games.
Has any of this been confirmed by anyone at Microsoft or Sony or is this all the usual blogospbere random rumours passing as fact?
Also, the PS4 is rumored to be 30% more powerful.
Even if true, this is an entirely meaningless number. Nobody (apart from Internet geeks who are obsessed with enumerating video game performance instead of looking at video game performance) looking at Game System X running at 1080p on a TV who then sees Game System Y running at 1080p on the same TV, running the same game, is going to notice that System Y has 30% better number crunching behaviour.

Video game graphics are kidna like photo resolution and various other things, it depends on a quadratic or even logarithmic scale to determine how people judge it. Double the linear resolution of video or games and people will think it looks twice as good even though the hardware requires 4 times the hardware performance (all else being equal of course) to achieve said resolution.

Edited by Archimedes

I asked my brother (see above posts) and he refused to break confidence. Not a good sign.

• Like 2