Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eating locusts as a pest control in Israel

Still Waters

i'm sorry grasshoppers and crickets and locusts are..... ok ( preferably cooks mind you) but I draw the line at leaches, worms & night crawlers

edited for spelling

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

Well, we eat other two and four legged grain fed critters. So, why not eat six legged grain fed critters also ... But, I am hard pressed to imagine what they will name fried locust wings.

Well I for one definitely prefer the decapods (shrimp, crabs and lobster) to the hexapods, but in some cultures insects are a staple. Crustaceans are little more than sea-going insects. Tasty, tasty insects! Hand me the Old Bay!

• Like 1

I thought locusts generated poisons so that they cannot be eaten?

Apparently this is incorrect since they've been eating locusts in Israel for awhile and this is not a new concept, people of many cultures eat locusts, grass hoppers, ants, meal worms, & all kinds of different bugs since the beginning of time. I've seen people eat scorpions and centipedes on that show Bizarre foods with Andrew Zimmern. Great show, really helps to open the mind.

Edited by Lava_Lady

Overcoming revulsions to assorted foodstuffs is a good way to get practice controlling the emotions. I don't particularly care for locusts, but they don't bother me. The way they are served in Thailand is just too loaded with the grease they fry them in.

If you boil a sheep head. and there's no-one around to see them, do they "wink"?

• 1 month later...

Locust Fajitas anyone????