Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Colorado introduces landmark gun laws

Still Waters

Actually, as a Brit, I can't see how suddenly bringing in lots of gun control measures is going to do much over there. I'm not an expert, don't really know anything about it, but I think once the general population has guns and they are so readily available, it seems to me you just can't take them all away, even if you wanted to. It does seem as though it would be taking away the guns from all the people who legitimately have them, leaving the only people with guns the criminals.

I don't think it would ever occur to most people here to want/have a gun in their house. But it's not my country and I'm not arguing! :D

Though I do hope you aren't suggesting offing the royal family :P

I talk to a few brits on here who make sense on the subject and you ma'am have just joined that small group,very well said :tu:

Nope i have several books i have read on the royal families of Europe actually very interesting history,not my place to say off with ones head haha

Plus i think Kate is hot :blush: Might pretty that bunch up a bit :lol:

• Like 1

I talk to a few brits on here who make sense on the subject and you ma'am have just joined that small group,very well said :tu:

Nope i have several books i have read on the royal families of Europe actually very interesting history,not my place to say off with ones head haha

Plus i think Kate is hot :blush: Might pretty that bunch up a bit :lol:

It just seems to me, if gun crime/massacres is a disease, they say prevention is better than a cure. In the UK, we have the prevention, the very tight gun control, however, the prevention won't work if one is already afflicted. So not really comparable.

• Like 1

It just seems to me, if gun crime/massacres is a disease, they say prevention is better than a cure. In the UK, we have the prevention, the very tight gun control, however, the prevention won't work if one is already afflicted. So not really comparable.

The guns are not the disease though,the disease is what is going on in these peoples brains.Mental health care is about the only cure for this,the UK has plenty of crime going on in it aswell.If some of these people who were victimized had guns they may not have been a victim of someone with a diseased brain ;) See what im saying?

• Like 1

The guns are not the disease though,the disease is what is going on in these peoples brains.Mental health care is about the only cure for this,the UK has plenty of crime going on in it aswell.If some of these people who were victimized had guns they may not have been a victim of someone with a diseased brain ;) See what im saying?

I meant the levels of gun crime in general, not the actual guns :) Our tight gun control does mean we have very low levels of gun crime, but like you say, there is still an awful lot of other crime! I agree, people are always going to be violent and do horrible things to one another, guns or no.

Edited by Queen in the North
  • Like 3

The way I understand it, crime is on the rise in england and falling in the usa over all.

• Like 2

I meant the levels of gun crime in general, not the actual guns :) Our tight gun control does mean we have very low levels of gun crime, but like you say, there is still an awful lot of other crime! I agree, people are always going to be violent and do horrible things to one another, guns or no.

No matter how many laws we make, or how harshly we carry them out, or how many weapons we take away, crime will always exist. It's just part of human nature to rob, steal, rape and murder. True, it is a very DARK part of humanity, but it exists there, unfortunately. The only thing that changes is the weapons used in the past.

• Like 2

One of the sharreffs in colorado will not be inforcving this new law. Which is really what the probem is. No one is enforcing ant of the current laws.

Check out this latest story on Yahoo:

Obama: Assault Weapons Ban Deserves a Vote

President Barack Obama says each of his proposed steps to reduce gun violence should get a vote in Congress — even an assault weapons ban that both parties agree stands little chance at passing.

Senate Democrats dropped the ban from the bill they plan to debate next month out of concern it could sink the whole package. Still, Obama says he's pushing for it.

In his weekly radio and Internet address released Saturday, Obama says the U.S. has changed in the three months since the December school shooting in Newtown, Conn. He says Americans support the ban, plus limits on high-capacity ammunition magazines, school security funding and a crackdown on gun trafficking.

"Today there is still genuine disagreement among well-meaning people about what steps we should take to reduce the epidemic of gun violence in this country. But you, the American people, have spoken," Obama said.

The White House said Saturday that Obama will make additional trips outside Washington to rally support for the measures, including the assault weapons ban. The White House also said that before Obama left for Israel earlier this week, his push for gun control was among the issues he raised with lawmakers from both parties as he embarked on a concerted effort to reach out to Congress.

In the Republican address, Sen. Mike Lee of Utah says the Senate Democrats' budget raises taxes by $1.5 trillion without doing anything to save entitlements like Social Security and Medicare. He says Republicans want a balanced budget that lives up to the nation's moral obligation to act in the best interest of future generations.

"Republicans recognize that keeping dollars, decisions, priorities and power in the hands of the people is what has made America the greatest civilization the world has ever known," Lee says. "Now is the time to return to that model."

Most Americans support the ban?! Bull****!

Obama is such a LIAR! Most Americans do NOT want new gun laws.

:angry:

• Like 1

The population is voting with their checkbook. The stores can't keep up with the ammo purchases.

• Like 3

Check out this latest story on Yahoo:

:angry:

Every time he wants something he says the majority of American want it too. He assumes that because he got elected that everything he thinks is majority opinion. Actually he doesn't spassume that. It's a tactic. He just says everybody wants something so that you look bad or feel compelled to join the masses.

• Like 2

I just went through this thread and re-read all except the really wordy ones. I must say that although I think Americans who have to have their guns, for whatever reason, are just plain stupid, it is obvious the situation in the States is going to need a long time and probably several more generations and a good deal more mass murders before good sense wins out. In the meantime politicians who would control guns are wisest to keep their heads down and work quietly.

The other topic I saw in the thread was about American royalty. I think America needs a royal family. I think Queen Elizabeth is too old, but maybe the British could be persuaded to provide some royal family member who is not too much of a nitwit and marry this person to a prominent American and start a dynasty. It would provide some much needed class. Move the President into Dianne Feinstein's house in Georgetown and let the new royal family have the White House. I'm not sure what would happen to Senator Feinstein, but I'm sure some reasonable arrangement could be worked out.

I just went through this thread and re-read all except the really wordy ones. I must say that although I think Americans who have to have their guns, for whatever reason, are just plain stupid, it is obvious the situation in the States is going to need a long time and probably several more generations and a good deal more mass murders before good sense wins out. In the meantime politicians who would control guns are wisest to keep their heads down and work quietly.

The other topic I saw in the thread was about American royalty. I think America needs a royal family. I think Queen Elizabeth is too old, but maybe the British could be persuaded to provide some royal family member who is not too much of a nitwit and marry this person to a prominent American and start a dynasty. It would provide some much needed class. Move the President into Dianne Feinstein's house in Georgetown and let the new royal family have the White House. I'm not sure what would happen to Senator Feinstein, but I'm sure some reasonable arrangement could be worked out.

Well it is your right to think of others as stupid if you want to frank,but the reason i am going to have mine is because the constitution says so :tu:

Im sure me and others here could go through vietnams laws and find several pieces of what we would consider stupidity aswell :lol:

Oh and if you love Feinstein you can have her if you wish haha

• Like 2

A royal family in America!? Ridiculous. Live in the Whitehouse? Not so long as I'm paying for it. Much needed class? We are the most generous nation in the entire world. You're entitled to opinion but this is yet another case where I have to ask of your country... What have you done for us, the world, lately? Oh, nail salons! Thank you for getting our women to pay $30 for someone to paint their nails. Guess we owe you one.

• Like 3

You don't even get to elect your own President. You have a lowly 500 communists dictate who is in charge of your life. No wonder you think it's stupid of us to be able to make our own decisions. You don't know any better.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 4

We offered g. Washington the king ship he turned it down and rightfully so.

• Like 3

you might want to check your beliefs...America has changed and very recently.

By Carrie Dann, NBC News

The public heavily favors universal background checks for gun buyers, and a majority of Americans approve of a federal database to track gun sales as well as a ban on "assault style weapons," a new poll from the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press shows.

In the survey, 85 percent of respondents said they favor background checks for private and gun show sales, while only 12 percent say they oppose such checks.

Sixty-seven percent of adults surveyed approve of a federal database to track gun sales, the poll indicated. A majority -- 55 percent -- back a ban on assault weapons, with 40 percent saying they don't approve of the ban, a measure for which President Barack Obama again voiced support during a press conference today. (The partisan breakdown, however, is stark, with seven in ten Democrats backing the ban compared to just 44 percent of Republicans.)

A major gender gap also remains on the gun issue; women favor an assault weapons ban by almost 20 percentage points over men. Women are also far less likely to support the idea of encouraging more gun ownership among teachers and other school officials.

Overall, the NRA-backed idea of encouraging more armed guards and police officers at schools garners wide support, with just 32 percent opposing and 64 percent favoring the proposal.

But when it comes to arming more teachers, those numbers are nearly flipped, with 57 percent giving the idea a thumbs down.

The Pew survey was conducted January 9-13, with a sample size of 1,502 adults. The margin of error for the total sample is +/- 2.9 percentage points.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/14/16510092-poll-majorities-favor-assault-weapons-ban-background-checks?lite

http://firstread.nbc...und-checks?lite

Well these "polls" only survey a fe thousand people at any given time.Hardly the "majority" of the country speaking right there.I also have a feeling they mostly poll city folk aswell :lol:

I can get behind the tougher background checks but if they just enforced the laws already in place this wouldnt be such a big issue.I do not own any "assault" style weapons myself but i do not support a ban on them either,its just a accessorized rifle hardly "assault"

Believe me if the vast majority supported it barry would have got his way.Ol charlie rangel getting up there telling people that "millions of children die each year from these weapons gunning them down" sorry but stretching a few hundred into millions does not help make ones case ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, lookie here. How could this have possibly happened? Conn. just passed all kinds of laws against this!!! Impossible!!!

(CBS/AP) STAMFORD, Conn. - Three men were treated for gunshot wounds after rival gangs in Stamford, Conn. opened fire at a 15-year-old girl's birthday party this weekend, CBS New York reports.

The gangs traded gunfire and sprayed bullets everywhere early Saturday morning outside 18 James St., in what The Stamford Advocate described as "a quiet beach neighborhood in the Cove."

Stray bullets hit two nearby houses and parked cars. One bullet came within inches of a woman sitting in her bed in a house adjacent to the party.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57578459-504083/gangs-shoot-up-childs-birthday-party-in-stamford-conn/

• Like 1

Well, lookie here. How could this have possibly happened? Conn. just passed all kinds of laws against this!!! Impossible!!!

(CBS/AP) STAMFORD, Conn. - Three men were treated for gunshot wounds after rival gangs in Stamford, Conn. opened fire at a 15-year-old girl's birthday party this weekend, CBS New York reports.

The gangs traded gunfire and sprayed bullets everywhere early Saturday morning outside 18 James St., in what The Stamford Advocatedescribed as "a quiet beach neighborhood in the Cove."

Stray bullets hit two nearby houses and parked cars. One bullet came within inches of a woman sitting in her bed in a house adjacent to the party.

http://www.cbsnews.c...-stamford-conn/

I agree impossible!!!Not with all the strict new gun laws!Must be right wing mischief and lies! ;)

The gangs traded gunfire and sprayed bullets everywhere early Saturday morning outside 18 James St., in what The Stamford Advocatedescribed as "a quiet beach neighborhood in the Cove."

http://www.cbsnews.c...-stamford-conn/

You mean hoodlum gang bangers don't follow laws? What a shocker!

• Like 2

Good luck, Colorado.

Campus Police Respond to Gunman Scare With Pepper Spray & Batons Because of State Law

Uproar After Campus Police Respond to Gunman Scare With Pepper Spray & Batons Because of State Gun Law

University of Rhode Island (URI) police responded to a call of a gunman on campus last week with pepper spray and batons, Major Stephen Baker of the URI Police Department and Community Relations Programming Officer Mark Chearino told Campus Reform. And that’s causing alarm on a state and national level.

Deputized campus police officers in Rhode Island are apparently prohibited from carrying firearms on public campuses, in accordance with rules handed down by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education.

State police officers– who are allowed to be armed on campus– were still arriving roughly twenty minutes after the first call for help went out, reports add. Thankfully no shooter was found and no one was injured, but the situation “shouldn’t give any student at the university, or residents in the surrounding community, peace of mind,” PolicyMic writes.

State Representative Joe Almeida, a retired police officer, is pushing a bill that would allow campus police officers who complete a firearms training course at the state’s municipal police academy to carry weapons on duty, according to WPRI-12 News.

He told the station: “Because of what happened at URI, what happened in Connecticut, what’s happening in California, all across the country…something needs to be done. Do we wait for somebody to be hurt in Rhode Island or do we move now?”

But the situation isn’t as unique as it may seem.

A 2004-2005 survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics reported that only 67% of the campus law enforcement agencies they spoke with use armed patrol officers (a more recent comprehensive poll is not available).

The difference is that campus police in Rhode Island ​can’t ​be armed even if they want to be.

Rhode Island is currently the only state in the country that prohibits public university police from carrying guns, according to the Associated Press.

URI President David Dooley has long disagreed with the policy, but apparently there aren’t any plans to change it anytime soon.

“Simply more guns in the mix isn’t a solution to violence on university and college campuses,” Christine Hunsinger, the communications director for the state’s Gov. Lincoln Chaffee, told Campus Reform. “The governor is very opening to listening to both sides but it should be looked at as part of a whole solution…. We need to see what else can be done to make those places safe.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...nt-carry-guns/

Ill agree with that statement but I dont believe that the change you are refering to is any way shape or form a positive one and we are now the most polarized as a nation that we have been since the Civil War.

• Like 1

You don't even get to elect your own President. You have a lowly 500 communists dictate who is in charge of your life. No wonder you think it's stupid of us to be able to make our own decisions. You don't know any better.

You haven't the slightest notion of how the government in Vietnam functions, and what you say is just absurd propaganda.I happen to be a royalist. I think the Thai or Japanese situation, as well as those of the Benelux and Scandanivian countries, is optimal. Vietnam hasn't had a king for several hundred years, and the last few were puppets, so our experience is not pertinent. There are many useful things a properly housebroken constitutional monarch can do, especially in constitutional crisis, where they can intervene and cut short a mess that might otherwise take years to resolve. In the meantime, since we would hope such crises are rare, they make a good tourist attraction and someone neat to send to state funerals so that the country involved is flattered but the President's time is not wasted.

Vietnam is a one-party state. As such it is not a democracy as much as a meritocracy, as who is a member of the Party is done nowadays on merit (education, non-participation in the legal or commercial or religious affairs, reasonable moderation in behavior, non-criminal connections, only moderate holdings, and a few other considerations). Partisanship and special interest still occurs, but nowhere near the level you see it in the States.

Edited by Frank Merton

You're right. I don't. I looked it up and found that you elect 500 representatives but not your president or whatever it is. It said those 500 pick who leads. It also said you are a communist nation. I don't think it was propaganda and I didn't hear it on FOX. I believe it was Wikipedia which I know can be less than reliable at times but I think for basic info about nations it is ok.