Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Duck Has Fathered a Chicken

Still Waters

The Turducken — a duck stuffed inside a chicken stuffed inside a turkey — is a mythical culinary beast and the dream entree of Thanksgiving obsessives everywhere. And now, science is on its way towards making the Turducken a reality — sort of: a duck has successfully fathered a chicken at the Central Veterinary Research Laboratory in Dubai.

http://newsfeed.time...side-a-chicken/

• Like 1

this is just so wrong ....

Researchers injected a duck’s germ cells — carrying DNA to produce eggs and sperm — into the reproductive organs of a chicken embryo; once the chicken matured, it began to produce the duck’s sperm. Initially looking to genetically modify chicken to produce more fertile hens (the global poultry industry currently maintains some 50 billion chickens), these scientists are now planning to use this technique to allow hens to lay eggs of other birds, including ducks, songbirds, hawks or eagles.

all this just to make more profits for big money . . . .

• Like 3

What next?

My best guess? Fish. If they could manage to get high quality caviar out of a low quality fish that produces more than the norm in eggs, that would mean big bucks.

I wonder if we can grow grapes off our scalps ?

• Like 1

Am I the only person who likes all this Gene manipulation stuff? It may seem a little frankenstein-sish at the moment but surely it's going to be heading in a medical advantage area. Like they said, this could help many endangered bird species and eventually lead to more advantages.

A couple decades ago people considered IVF to be 'playing god', now it's fairly normal and for a good cause.

Am I the only person who likes all this Gene manipulation stuff? It may seem a little frankenstein-sish at the moment but surely it's going to be heading in a medical advantage area. Like they said, this could help many endangered bird species and eventually lead to more advantages.

A couple decades ago people considered IVF to be 'playing god', now it's fairly normal and for a good cause.

In Vitro Fertilization: isn't gene manipulation though.. it's just fertilizing an egg outside the body... not messing with DNA.

When you mess with genes/DNA your basically creating a creature which never before existed. ..?

• Like 1

In Vitro Fertilization: isn't gene manipulation though.. it's just fertilizing an egg outside the body... not messing with DNA.

When you mess with genes/DNA your basically creating a creature which never before existed. ..?

Right, good point. I guess I used a wrong example. But still with what they are talking about in the article, this wouldn't be creating a new creature, just getting a duck to produce duck cells, or possibly endangered bird cells. Who knows right now, this might lead to mammals being able to be bred in other animals. Would be helpful for endangered animals that don't breed often in captivity.

Hope these Chuckens are not attracted to water. Never let a duck hatch your chicken eggs if so get the chicks as they hatch otherwise you end up with a bunch of dround chickens.

If I have to say whether I'm for or against manipulating genes, I will err on the side of caution and say absolutely against.

Introducing unatural processes into your fragile biosphere is chancing ruining it for yourself and your progeny. Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you have the right to do it.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

So what? People are gonna freak out over this but it's alright to get yourself a bred dog that should've never existed?

• Like 3

People, it's still a chicken!

Next thing you know they will put a chicken in a duck, put the duck in a turkey, then deep fry it. Ah, the miracles of science!

• Like 1

we could splice a frog with a human .. to keep our houses free of flies ? post-86645-0-56190100-1363966523_thumb.j

All this messing around with nature makes me uncomfortable. What else are the doing in their hidden laboratories in the name of science?

• Like 1

I just have one question. Why?????

Bit of an odd story but not too bad, future jokes now will be "why did the duck cross the road? to get to the".... :clap:

Edited by seeder

I just have one question. Why?????

From the article:

"The ultimate goal is to ”use this system to propagate endangered species or potentially bring back an extinct one,” according to a recent TEDx talk by Mike McGrew, a scientist at the Roslin Institute who collaborates extensively with the Dubai team."

So what? People are gonna freak out over this but it's alright to get yourself a bred dog that should've never existed?

Totaly 100% different.