Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Miniskirts could be 'banned' in South Korea

Still Waters

Miniskirts could be banned in South Korea as a controversial 'overexposure law' comes into effect this week.

Those deemed to be overexposed in public will face a fine of 50,000 KRW (£30) under the new law.

But the law has been met with criticism after being passed by new president President Park Geun-hye at her first Cabinet meeting.

http://www.dailymail...mes-effect.html

• Like 1

I speculate that this is a result of the tension they are under with N. Korea making threats of war and testing weapons.

The human tendency during crises of war is to cover up. Miniskirts just scream vulnerability.

It's their country they can do what they want. Unless everyone objects then they will have problems.

Clearly they're tired of being the second most oppressive Korea.

Tomorrow - everyone must wear spats!

• Like 2

its too cold to wear those micro minis anyway

• Like 1

This is an outrage!!!Trying to ban one of mankinds greatest achievements!!!Someone has to stop this and im not joking :cry:

• Like 7

Don't worry ... the fashion trendsetters will just come up with some tiny short pants that's not a mini skirt, it the next big thing ...

The law is the real crime here. That is just horrible.

• Like 1

well at least we're saved from seeing pre puberty young ladies running around not knowing how to wear a mini properly

Oh no, now the Communist North will surely win!

North-Korea-11.jpg

damm commies ....

That's communism?

Crikey Moses, I am beginning to think democracy and capitalism are somewhat overrated.

Edited by psyche101

Koreans are ultra conservative, just watch one of their dramas. The sexiest thing they'll have is kissing. This mini skirt thing is the western insurance on style and culture. What South Korea is going through with is growing pains. Their culture is changing and this is

the different views between older and younger generations.

• Like 1

You can't really generalise that, Lava_Lady. For us Germans, the US seems to be ultra conservative in terms of nudity as well. However, it is true that many Koreans value traditional and Christian standarts very high. K-Pop (contemporary Korean pop music) singers still look like this:

1.jpg

There is also lots of sex (and very often of the rather bizarre kind) in their movies. They are living a double standart here.

My Korean girlfriend, for example, found it very odd, that German girls do not wear a miniskirt and garter belt combination on the streets, like Korean girls do.

After all, this seems to be a misinterpretation by a few Korean celebrities (especially Lee Hyori), who tweeted about the subject, without really understanding what this law will be aiming at. This law is meant to help punish men who flash their private parts in front of teenage girls, which is becoming more and more "popular" in South Korea. Still, we have to see how this will be put into practice.

You can't really generalise that, Lava_Lady. For us Germans, the US seems to be ultra conservative in terms of nudity as well. However, it is true that many Koreans value traditional and Christian standarts very high. K-Pop (contemporary Korean pop music) singers still look like this:

1.jpg

There is also lots of sex (and very often of the rather bizarre kind) in their movies. They are living a double standart here.

My Korean girlfriend, for example, found it very odd, that German girls do not wear a miniskirt and garter belt combination on the streets, like Korean girls do.

After all, this seems to be a misinterpretation by a few Korean celebrities (especially Lee Hyori), who tweeted about the subject, without really understanding what this law will be aiming at. This law is meant to help punish men who flash their private parts in front of teenage girls, which is becoming more and more "popular" in South Korea. Still, we have to see how this will be put into practice.

1.jpg

Sounds like you and I are getting information from different generations because part of my heritage is Korean and that part of my family, from Korea, complains about the dress of "kids today" in Korea. Thus to me it is not necessarily a generalization just opinions of older generation Koreans.

• Like 2

Of course, I read the WHOLE article... the last three sentences do explain that the president and government have no such plans to ban mini-skirts.

From the article:

But despite the widespread criticism, police said that the law relates to nudity and public indecency and does not involve clothing.

The National Police Agency's Inspector Ko Jun-ho told CNN: 'Any reports that we will be regulating what people are wearing are completely false.'

Opposition politicians have also been accused of spreading 'misinformation', with the Government saying promising to publicise the exact nature of the law and how it will be implemented.

Edited by MissMelsWell