Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nvidia shows off new facial rendering tech,

ExpandMyMind

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvaGd4KqlvQ&feature=player_embedded#[/media]!

We’re currently living in an age where computer-generated graphics are kind of hanging out at the other end of the uncanny valley, taking a breather from climbing in either direction. Video games look pretty good in modern times, packed with detail, and certain games – Uncharted and L.A. Noire, specifically — are exemplary models of character animation. However, with just a glance, you can easily discern that a video game is just that, a video game and not real life.

http://www.geek.com/...alley-20130321/

I think all of the video is worth watching, but you can skip to 8m 40s minutes to see how realistic the facial expressions are. Amazing.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

I know. In 10 years time graphics like these might even be part of gameplay, as opposed to just cut-scenes.

You might even be able to scan yourself, if you wanted to, then upload your image to use as your own avatar in an MMO or even an online FPS, or, hell, any game, online or not, just for the fun of seeing yourself completing quests and playing out a story!

Imagine being the next Assassin in Assassin's Creed? :D

• Like 1

I know. In 10 years time graphics like these might even be part of gameplay, as opposed to just cut-scenes.

You might even be able to scan yourself, if you wanted to, then upload your image to use as your own avatar in an MMO or even an online FPS, or, hell, any game, online or not, just for the fun of seeing yourself completing quests and playing out a story!

Imagine being the next Assassin in Assassin's Creed? :D

That would be outrageously cool and not beyond the realm of possible in ten years either. :w00t:

• Like 1

Thats cool iam really into video graphics like this. Thanks for posting the ears gave it away

• Like 1

I think we can all guess what the first use of this technology will be. At least it will help stop the spread of VD.

• Like 2

That is absolutely amazing, around the 10 minutes mark, my brain got tricked by it and I started to think it was a real person. Can you imagine how immerse game would be with that king of graphics. It might bring stricter laws though, like I can't see the likes of the game manhunt being allowed with that sort of realism. GTA would probably have to be toned down.

This would also be a massive break through for medical training, just think of the simulation for medical students they can provide with that. Unbelievable.

EDIT, just realised when he started talking about uploading scans of ourselves etc, all I could think was... Nice database of everyone and exactly how they look and act. Kinda creepy.

Also how much does the guy presenting this sound like Nicholas Cage... lol (Not identical just similar)

I think we can all guess what the first use of this technology will be. At least it will help stop the spread of VD.

Hahahaha, so true.

Edited by Coffey

There is some software that I enjoy 'playing with' called Poser. In which you can create 3d people, creatures and objects and even animate them, It's fairly realistic now.. with this tech it would be simply amazing!

I did some quick and easy pics for the Raptor Photoshop thread, if you are interested in seeing it's current abilities when set to "low resolution" for rendering...

http://www.unexplain...c=233151&st=480

Edited by Taun

Kind of along the same lines...isn't EQ3 going to use a scanning tech so you can have your chracter look like you, or your facial emotes? Though I overheard that.