Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Iraq veteran who can no longer go on

Commander CMG

• Army veteran Tomas Young enrolled in the Army two days after 9/11
  • Deployed to Iraq in 2004 and paralyzed by sniper's bullet four days later
  • Mr Young plans to refuse nourishment as he is in constant pain
  • Veteran has written his last letter to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney shaming them for killing thousands in the war

arrow3.gifView: Read More

I feel for the man. I can't imagine what its like walking in his shoes so I can't pass judgement on him for wanting to die. I don't know if I would want to live like he has to. Iraq was a war built on lies.

• Like 1

so much misery was caused on both sides and for what ?

next time american should put uniform on their president and tell him to fight his own wars

that bush was a lunatic

I dare say it's a travesty for people to use tragedies like this for politics. The man might feel differently if he hadn't been injured -- we don't know.

I dare say it's a travesty for people to use tragedies like this for politics. The man might feel differently if he hadn't been injured -- we don't know.

I´m having trouble understanding your response. What happened to this man is a tragedy and it is a direct result of political decisions made on bs claims by a number of politicians and pedalled by the media who sold the war to this guy and the American public under false pretences. He writes an open-letter to those politicians he feels are responsible, it gets limited press coverage and it is a travesty that they print it??

I think it's not a bad idea that more people are aware of the human costs both Americans and Iraqis paid for this war politics aside.

You're correct: we don't know. However, it did happen, and what he has stated is anything but false. There have been uninjured soldiers who put forth similar opinions toward the corruption of our government. What reason do they for having commented on lies told from the politicians that lead to war? Certainly not injury. Perhaps... realization of reality?

Edited by Collateral Damage

There are plenty of soldiers, both injured and uninjured, on both sides of this issue. They should not be used for politics.

• Like 2

There are plenty of soldiers, both injured and uninjured, on both sides of this issue. They should not be used for politics.

For every soldier that finds him/herself in this man's place I'd imagine there is another who is still just as committed to the cause as they were prior to the wounds. They have as part of their psyche the need to believe in their cause. I think it is an admirable trait. I also think politicians use them as fodder for their own gains. I have just decided to begin donating part of MY meager resources to the Wounded Warriors Project because of this thread. I'm ashamed that I haven't done so before now. Iraq was a mistake. I supported it in the beginning and I STILL believe that WMD's were there in greater amounts than was reported but that alone did not justify the war. Those WMDs were observed in transit between Iraq and Syria for months prior to the start of hostilities. The irony is that now we may STILL be attacked by some of them in the future. No way to prove this of course, but if VX or Sarin gets deployed in NYC or LA it isn't really going to matter where it came from to those who suffer and die.
  • Like 1

Way to go, Andthen! :tu:

It is always good to change your mind, all of us, from time to time.

I knew as it was happening that D&D were in it for personal gain, and telling huge whopping lies to whomever was willing to listen.

And they had the bully pulpit.