Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mega Volcanoes Caused Mass Extinction?

Waspie_Dwarf

Mega Volcanoes May Have Caused Mass Extinction

Massive volcanic eruptions may have led to the extermination of half of Earth's species some 200 million years ago, a new study suggests.

The release of gases from giant eruptions caused climate change that led to the End-Triassic Extinction, the widespread loss of land and sea species that made way for the rise of the dinosaurs, the research says. The new study, published today (March 21) in the journal Science, shows that a set of major eruptions spanning from what is now New Jersey to Morocco occurred very close to the time of the extinction.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Notice what was the actual causative agent of the mass extinction - massive releases of sulphates and CO2 causing cooling and warming of the climate.

Theres a lesson there if people could but spot it.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Notice what was the actual causative agent

notice the speculative words "may have".

"Theres a lesson there if people could but spot it."

the lesson being, do not extrapolate speculation to fact, and learn the difference between the two.

• Like 1

Notice what was the actual causative agent of the mass extinction - massive releases of sulphates and CO2 causing cooling and warming of the climate.

Theres a lesson there if people could but spot it.

Br Cornelius

you cannot compare man released C02

Edited by Saru
Video removed due to copyright

Why not - we are releasing massively more CO2 into the atmosphere than all the volcanos which are currently active.

Br Cornelius

Why not - we are releasing massively more CO2 into the atmosphere than all the volcanos which are currently active.

Br Cornelius

i'm well aware of your argument, the figure you used in the past if i remember was one hundred times that of volcanic C02.

i'm well aware of your argument, the figure you used in the past if i remember was one hundred times that of volcanic C02.

The main difference is that we are releasing it in a sustained cumulative way - which is entirely different to the scenario described here.

Br Cornelius