Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Youtube tries to ban bull fighting

Still Waters

Bullfighting aficionados are furious after the popular video sharing portal YouTube banned bloody images of bulls being killed in the ring labeling it "animal abuse".

The online giant closed down channels devoted to Spain's "national fiesta" provoking immediate outrage from fans of the spectacle who declared it amounted to "censorship" and "a lack of respect for a much loved tradition".

http://www.telegraph...l-fighting.html

Bull-fighting is animal abuse ...... pure and simple. Some people may well view it as 'a much loved tradition', but it's a much loved tradition of animal abuse. WELL DONE YouTube!!

• Like 6

The day the bulls are killed with bare hands will be the day it's worth watching. Until then I'm unimpressed by the "sport". It's as boring to watch as hunting or fishing.

• Like 2

While I do NOT think that Bullfighting should be allowed (it is animal abuse, just for entertainment)

I do NOT see how Youtube can ban anything that is legal in the country of origin, IF it was illegal then I could understand

If they get away with this then what next, what else will they ban from their site?

Seem's to me that BIG Brother (Youtube) is nothing more than control freaks

• Like 3

While I do NOT think that Bullfighting should be allowed (it is animal abuse, just for entertainment)

I do NOT see how Youtube can ban anything that is legal in the country of origin, IF it was illegal then I could understand

If they get away with this then what next, what else will they ban from their site?

I sort of get what you are saying, but it is not just shown in that country once it hits the net.

Anything which is abuse should be banned, whether it is legal in its country of origin or not because youtube is global.

• Like 2

Do you have any examples of what you think YouTube may ban next?

Bull-fighting is such a mind-bogglingly obvious abhorrence, so far off the scale of what is acceptable, that I don't think we need to worry just yet.

• Like 2

And yet they leave c*** - Fights on there no problem. If your removing a video based on animal abuse do it for all not just one! I personally feel youtube have the right to ban what ever they want on there website, after all its there site.

p.s cockerel - (dident realise UM would censor the shortened version :-|)

Edited by Vaise
  • Like 4

Good for Youtube, there are other things they could ban also.

• Like 2

Banning the ability to watch it online is a good step, but it's not going to solve the issue.

Still, well done! As many others have mentioned, I'd like to see all of the other inhumane "sports" banned as well.

• Like 4

And yet they leave c*** - Fights on there no problem. If your removing a video based on animal abuse do it for all not just one! I personally feel youtube have the right to ban what ever they want on there website, after all its there site.

p.s cockerel - (dident realise UM would censor the shortened version :-|)

Thats wrong and hypocritical. I agree, all animal abuse should be banned.

Here is the funny part (not really funny) but the shortened version of the word cockerel is not allowed, but wonder if they would allow the link to the video of the fighting?

Have seen this on other sites where words are banned but videos are not!!

ps: please do not try and put the video up on here.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

The online giant closed down channels devoted to Spain's "national fiesta" provoking immediate outrage from fans of the spectacle who declared it amounted to "censorship" and "a lack of respect for a much loved tradition".

Too bad the ancient Romans didn't have our technology, they could have posted videos of their much loved tradition of crucifying people, including Spaniards. Olé !

• Like 1

I sort of get what you are saying, but it is not just shown in that country once it hits the net.

Anything which is abuse should be banned, whether it is legal in its country of origin or not because youtube is global.

Youtube have the ability to stop certain countries watching videos from other countries, I have come across it myself on Youtube where it states the video is not available in my country, more than once, dont know if anyone else has had that happen

There is nothing stopping Youtube from doing that for bullfighting, broadcast it on their site in spain but disable it for other countries

Do you have any examples of what you think YouTube may ban next?

That all depends on what the CEO /owner's dislike, it could be anything that they find distasteful or abhor or something that goes against their belief's etc etc etc.......

It is because of them, that they have banned or trying to ban bullfighting on Youtube, and not because it is a bloodthirsty, cruel, sadistic sport/entertainment (which I think it is)

On this site (Unexplained Mysteries) there are certain topic's that the Admin/Mod's might dislike or find distasteful, but they still let those topic's stay on the site, so why cannot a site as big as Youtube do the same and not ban something off their site because they personally do not like it, which has got to be the case, as Vaise said they still allow cockerel fighting etc on there

• Like 3

Youtube have the ability to stop certain countries watching videos from other countries, I have come across it myself on Youtube where it states the video is not available in my country, more than once, dont know if anyone else has had that happen

There is nothing stopping Youtube from doing that for bullfighting, broadcast it on their site in spain but disable it for other countries

I did not know that, thankyou for telling me.

I can not see them disabling certain things unless there were enough complaints, but there are certain things like animal cruelty which should not be shown at all, even if it is legal in that country. By allowing it to be shown at all, shows they are not against it.

Some countries still hang people, it does not mean that it should be allowed on the net, no matter what country it is shown in, same goes for animal cruelty, it should not be shown anywhere.

Although they can disable it from being shown in other countries, there is nothing stopping people from forwarding it themselves....not that technical on things like this, so would that be possible or could you tube stop that happening too?

• Like 2

I see what you mean. But I wouldn't jump to extremes as of yet. After all, what they have done is legitimate. What is bein displayed is animal abuse. However, for educational or study purposes I believe this material should still be available in those aspects. Glorification of it should be disallowed.

I see what you mean. But I wouldn't jump to extremes as of yet. After all, what they have done is legitimate. What is bein displayed is animal abuse. However, for educational or study purposes I believe this material should still be available in those aspects. Glorification of it should be disallowed.

Not sure about the educational or studies purposes?? If you mean educational as to it being animal abuse, then this would need to apply to all the other cruelties out there to be shown too.

I can not see why anyone would possibly want to study bullfighting unless they want to be a matador. if someone is interested in it, then they can always go to the library or better still Spain.

I do understand the point you are making, but think there are some things which should not be allowed no matter what the reason is behind it.

I did not know that, thankyou for telling me.

I can not see them disabling certain things unless there were enough complaints, but there are certain things like animal cruelty which should not be shown at all, even if it is legal in that country. By allowing it to be shown at all, shows they are not against it.

Some countries still hang people, it does not mean that it should be allowed on the net, no matter what country it is shown in, same goes for animal cruelty, it should not be shown anywhere.

Although they can disable it from being shown in other countries, there is nothing stopping people from forwarding it themselves....not that technical on things like this, so would that be possible or could you tube stop that happening too?

I agree. They should also ban girls shaking their booty because I was once jilted by a girl who liked to shake it. Also, the kids making music videos when they can't carry a tune in a bucket - they're an abomination!!! Also...

Or maybe, just maybe, I'm not the king of the freaking world and shouldn't get to say what should and shouldn't be banned. Maybe they should use a more codified measuring stick. I know, they should ban things that are illegal!!

You get my sarcastically made point? Animal cruelty is in the eye of the beholder unless it's illegal. In Spain, bullfighting is apparently not illegal. Of course, the previously made point applies - it's their site and they can ban whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

Animal cruelty is in the eye of the beholder unless it's illegal. In Spain, bullfighting is apparently not illegal. Of course, the previously made point applies - it's their site and they can ban whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

'ANIMAL CRUELTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER' ???!!!! What the.....? *self-censors personal remarks* Animal cruelty is animal cruelty regardless of whether it is legal or illegal.

• Like 4

Ouija got there before me. sam12six, could you explain exactly what you mean by this please, because as far as I (and Ouija) are concerned, animal cruelty IS animal cruelty.

Banning the ability to watch it online is a good step, but it's not going to solve the issue.

Still, well done! As many others have mentioned, I'd like to see all of the other inhumane "sports" banned as well.

Which reminds me.. we are approaching that barbaric horse race "The Grand National" soon.

I wonder how many poor animals will be "shot or injured" this year in the name of sport? It makes me sick.

Edited by xsas
  • Like 1

Whats the point when one can go to another video site to watch such? If youtube banned everything someone else did not like, what would be left?

Not sure about the educational or studies purposes?? If you mean educational as to it being animal abuse, then this would need to apply to all the other cruelties out there to be shown too.

I can not see why anyone would possibly want to study bullfighting unless they want to be a matador. if someone is interested in it, then they can always go to the library or better still Spain.

I do understand the point you are making, but think there are some things which should not be allowed no matter what the reason is behind it.

Studies on animal abuse in cultures. Id say there would be quite a few writing a thesis at least on this and in that aspect it is quite important to observe such practises. Especially when observing the people witnessing and undergoing such a thing.

Perhaps not public ally available on YouTube but stored on a library or database in which one may view upon producing appropriate proof of reason.

It all goes to show that humanity is not fully civilized yet. Hell, just watching professional wrestling should prove that.

'ANIMAL CRUELTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER' ???!!!! What the.....? *self-censors personal remarks* Animal cruelty is animal cruelty regardless of whether it is legal or illegal.

Ouija got there before me. sam12six, could you explain exactly what you mean by this please, because as far as I (and Ouija) are concerned, animal cruelty IS animal cruelty.

Is it cruel to keep a dog in a small kennel or tied by a short chain its entire life? Some people think so. Is it cruel to let the dog run free where it might get hit by a car? Some people thinks so. There are people who feel that animals raised humanely on a small farm is OK but animals raised in commercial farming conditions is cruel. There are other people that feel that killing any animal for food is cruelty.

The bottom line is what is cruel is in the eye of the beholder. The government in control of a region decides what is legally cruel based (theoretically) on what the population in that region feels. In Spain, apparently bullfighting is not considered cruel by the majority. You and I feel that it is. That feeling doesn't give us the right to dictate what constitutes cruelty for other cultures.

While in this case, Youtube does have the right to say what goes on the website they own, it makes more sense to me that such an open video hosting forum should base such decisions on what is legal. If they only allowed views from IPs where it is legal, they wouldn't worry about offending someone from another culture. Should they disallow any video showing women with their heads uncovered because it could offend some Muslims or Jews? I don't believe so. If it's illegal anywhere, they should have the videos disallowed from those areas.