Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama health law anniversary finds 2 Americas

Kowalski

Interesting article, below

Obama health law anniversary finds 2 Americas

WASHINGTON (AP) — Three years, two elections, and one Supreme Court decision after President Barack Obama signed the Affordable Care Act, its promise of health care for the uninsured may be delayed or undercut in much of the country because of entrenched opposition from many Republican state leaders.

In half the states, mainly led by Democrats, officials are racing deadlines to connect uninsured residents to coverage now only months away. In others it's as if "Obamacare" — signed Mar. 23, 2010 — had never passed.

Make no mistake, the federal government will step in and create new insurance markets in the 26 mostly red states declining to run their own. Just like the state-run markets in mostly Democratic-led states, the feds will start signing up customers Oct. 1 for coverage effective Jan. 1. But they need a broad cross-section of people, or else the pool will be stuck with what the government calls the "sick and worried" — the costliest patients.

Insurance markets, or exchanges, are one prong of Obama's law, providing subsidized private coverage for middle-class households who currently can't get their own. The other major piece is a Medicaid expansion to serve more low-income people. And at least 13 states have already indicated they will not agree to that.

For more read: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-health-law-anniversary-finds-2-americas-070446339.html

One thing this goober never thought about was when he talks about people having to pay a fine if not insured,if they cannot afford the insurance in the first place then how the hell are they going to pay his damn fine?As pelosi said "we wont know whats in it until we pass it"

M-O-R-O-N-S!!! :td:

• Like 4

It's grown from 1,900 pages to 22,000 pages in 3 years. I genuinely don't know what they're filling the pages up with. A list of every citizen and whether or not they get a government subsidy?

• Like 1

One thing this goober never thought about was when he talks about people having to pay a fine if not insured,if they cannot afford the insurance in the first place then how the hell are they going to pay his damn fine?As pelosi said "we wont know whats in it until we pass it"

SO true. I live in Texas, and Texas is not participating in the exchange. I hope it stays that way. No one I know WANTS Obamacare nor will they participate in it. Most people I know just, plain out, can't afford healthcare. It's just that simple. Until you bring down the cost of insurance, and make healthcare about HELPING people, and not about money, than nothing will ever be solved.

• Like 4

It's grown from 1,900 pages to 22,000 pages in 3 years. I genuinely don't know what they're filling the pages up with. A list of every citizen and whether or not they get a government subsidy?

Obamacare is a crock, pure and simple. It won't do anything to help change healthcare in this country. The idiots that think it will, think it's "free". Nothing is FREE. Especially healthcare. Who will pay for all this? Let me guess, the tax payers...

• Like 3

SO true. I live in Texas, and Texas is not participating in the exchange. I hope it stays that way. No one I know WANTS Obamacare nor will they participate in it. Most people I know just, plain out, can't afford healthcare. It's just that simple. Until you bring down the cost of insurance, and make healthcare about HELPING people, and not about money, than nothing will ever be solved.

Well said :tu: Healthcare is all about the money,if it was about helping people his little fine wouldnt be involved.I do not mind helping others but am starting to get very sick and tired of all working peoples tax dollars going to help the ones who flat out refuse to work.Instead loading up on every freebie out there while our leaders keep giving them more and more.

• Like 2

We need a non profit health care insurance co. If it puts the big for profit insurance companies out of business so be it. The soaring price of going into the hospital or seeing a doctor needs reigned in to. Anymore it will cost a lot people a weeks salary to see a doctor and buy the medicine. No wonder so many people apply for welfare or medicaid.

• Like 3

SO true. I live in Texas, and Texas is not participating in the exchange. I hope it stays that way.

Why?

Why?

Easy answer,can you explain everything behind obamacare?No you cant close to time to implement it,yet still stacking more **** on top of it.

• Like 1

Easy answer,can you explain everything behind obamacare?No you cant close to time to implement it,yet still stacking more **** on top of it.

?

The idea behind an exchange is pretty simple: shopping for health insurance on your own should be easy, transparent, and consumer-friendly. That's what an exchange is for. That and getting the law's financial aid to those who have trouble affording health insurance on their salaries/wages.

?

The idea behind an exchange is pretty simple: shopping for health insurance on your own should be easy, transparent, and consumer-friendly. That's what an exchange is for. That and getting the law's financial aid to those who have trouble affording health insurance on their salaries/wages.

Well since you have such a healthy grasp on the idea maybe you can explain it to our politicians ;) Good luck!

• Like 1

never thought about was when he talks about people having to pay a fine if not insured,if they cannot afford the insurance in the first place then how the hell are they going to pay his damn fine?

what makes you think that's not the case?

Most people I know just, plain out, can't afford healthcare. It's just that simple. Until you bring down the cost of insurance, and make healthcare about HELPING people, and not about money, than nothing will ever be solved.

apparently you're unaware that is exactly what it does.

I'm not going to argue whether Obamacare is any good or not but I will tell you without insurance you are dead. I had very good coverage until 2011 (laid off at the end of the Space Shuttle Program). My wife has two medication she must take. Without insurance and getting generics it would run us 2400 dollars a month. That is just two. I did contact the pharmacutical companies and managed to get those two for free (non-generic cost 5400 a month). I am my wife's caretaker and I do not qualify for any assistance regarding medical care. I must do without unless I can afford medical insurance coverage for pre-existing conditions. I did not realize how bad it was until I lost my medical insurance. Something has to be done.

• Like 2

I understand we need better healthcare. We really do. But, OUR healthcare system is based on MONEY. Many people I know, cannot AFFORD health insurance. Obamacare WON'T change that. It will force them to take a plan (that has been hiked up because all the insurance places know people will HAVE to get healthcare, so they jack up the prices) they already CAN'T afford. Many will go without insurance and they might incure a fine, but so be it. The theory is asinine. Many people in America go without insurance, so we force them to GET insurance. Wow! What great logic guys! The whole problem is that health care is really expensive! That's the problem! Has anyone ever looked at a hospital or ER bill lately? I had a friend who had a pregnancy test done in the ER, and it cost her over $2,000!! SERIOUSLY.

Or how about the dad that had to take his kid to one ER, and they said they could do nothing, (no anti-venom) so he had to drive to another ER, several miles away, but they had anti-venom. The kid got better, but the dad got a bill from the first ER he went to, and even though they told him they could do nothing, they charged him $800. I'm not kidding. THAT is what is wrong with the healthcare system.

I've often said that too and my conclusion is once and when people fall into a snowball effect of debt because they can't afford the fine(s) then they'll have no choice but to get on some crappy government assisted program. It's going to happen in spades. The end game is single payer. Nothing will change for the poor, the rich aren't going to be affected and the middle class will be working harder and harder to pay for more and more people on assistance thereby shrinking the middle class and adding to the dependent class. Votes votes votes.

And when the ill effects are too great to ignore some savior democrat will step in and announce that the only solution is for the government to assume compete control of the healthcare system because it must be fixed and it must be fixed now. They'll claim the situation is dire and they didn't want it to be this way but it's the only solution and they're the only ones who can fix it. Control control control.

They don't want the people's government. They want the governments people.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 2

It will force them to take a plan

No it will let them "shop" for the best plan they can afford. Something that many Americans already do during open enrollment.

The answer to the cost of health care is a easy fix. Both Fed and State regulations need to be eliminated, and let the market decide. If a insurance company could operate nation wide, they would all be cutting each other throats, and forcing hospitals and such to lower costs. Regulations causing monopolies are what got us into this mess. 0bama care has done nothing but made my insurance company raise prices 3 times since it was past. My wifes insurance is better then what my job offers, so I recently just had her cut me so her and the kids could stay on, and I could afford to continue to live. I have no insurance cause of 0bama care. Thanks for nothing.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that! I know many people's insurance rates are sky rocketing. In the New York Times they were talking about how in some states, they are raising the rates because they know people will HAVE to buy it. Sad, that people only care about money...

• Like 2

let the market decide. If a insurance company could operate nation wide,

Which is exactly what the Obamacare exchanges do.

Obamacare never had anything to do with healthcare, it was and always will be about having power over a massive portion of teh economy and over every single person living in the US. Once they have control of your health they own you. They can dictate what you eat, drinbkt smoke, think, do etc. "Does your Daddy own a gun? Ok ddouble your premiums."c "You are over 65 so sorry, it just isn''y wprth giving you that $100k operation> Take a pill." There is a very good reason this thing doesn't take effect untip 2014 and that is because it is going to be a disaster and is going to gut health care in America.

Unfortunately, before we can do anything about it, it will be too late as the health industry will be gone and the majority will be dependent on the government for health care. This last election cycle was our chance and we blew it.

• Like 4

Obamacare never had anything to do with healthcare, it was and always will be about having power over a massive portion of teh economy and over every single person living in the US. Once they have control of your health they own you. They can dictate what you eat, drinbkt smoke, think, do etc. "Does your Daddy own a gun? Ok ddouble your premiums."c "You are over 65 so sorry, it just isn''y wprth giving you that $100k operation> Take a pill." There is a very good reason this thing doesn't take effect untip 2014 and that is because it is going to be a disaster and is going to gut health care in America.

Unfortunately, before we can do anything about it, it will be too late as the health industry will be gone and the majority will be dependent on the government for health care. This last election cycle was our chance and we blew it.

People would rather get free handouts from the government then freedom. Sad what America is starting to become.

• Like 1

Many people I know, cannot AFFORD health insurance. Obamacare WON'T change that.

That's why low-to-middle income people get financial assistance to pay for insurance. If they're buying insurance on their own, their financial contribution is capped at a certain percentage of their income.

Check this out:

Study: Health overhaul to raise claims cost 32 pct

WASHINGTON (AP) — Medical claims costs — the biggest driver of health insurance premiums — will jump an average 32 percent for Americans' individual policies under President Barack Obama's overhaul, according to a study by the nation's leading group of financial risk analysts.

The report could turn into a big headache for the Obama administration at a time when many parts of the country remain skeptical about the Affordable Care Act. The estimates were recently released by the Society of Actuaries to its members.

While some states will see medical claims costs per person decline, the report concluded the overwhelming majority will see double-digit increases in their individual health insurance markets, where people purchase coverage directly from insurers.

The disparities are striking. By 2017, the estimated increase would be 62 percent for California, about 80 percent for Ohio, more than 20 percent for Florida and 67 percent for Maryland. Much of the reason for the higher claims costs is that sicker people are expected to join the pool, the report said.

The report did not make similar estimates for employer plans, the mainstay for workers and their families. That's because the primary impact of Obama's law is on people who don't have coverage through their jobs.

From: http://news.yahoo.com/study-health-overhaul-raise-claims-cost-32-pct-173335479--politics.html