Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Child neglect Parents appear in court

Commander CMG

The parents of a boy who allegedly died from scurvy appeared in court today accused of child neglect.

Dylan Seabridge, eight, died suddenly at home from the illness, which is linked to a deficiency of vitamin C, in December 2011.

Julie Seabridge, 45, and her husband Glynn Seabridge, 46, indicated to Swansea Crown Court that they will be pleading not guilty in a trial later this year.

Read More

This is disgusting!! What kind of crappy diet do you need to feed a child for them to get scurvy these days!!

This is disgusting!! What kind of crappy diet do you need to feed a child for them to get scurvy these days!!

Ramen, mate. It's cheap and filling.

I was on the verge of scurvy in college because I didn't know you couldn't eat ramen forever.

Ramen, mate. It's cheap and filling.

I was on the verge of scurvy in college because I didn't know you couldn't eat ramen forever.

In college. Lots of people eat crappy at uni, would you feed that diet to a child in your care?

In college. Lots of people eat crappy at uni, would you feed that diet to a child in your care?

Didn't say that. I know better now, and can afford to feed myself properly, and a child, if I had one. But some people may not realize that it's not all that wonderful for you. The article doesn't give any indication, but couldn't resources be a contributing factor? There's not enough to say one way or another, and food is expensive, at least here in the US. Fresh foods, especially. It's much cheaper to live on ramen and prepackaged crap than having to buy food that may spoil.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by draugr
  • Like 1

Well I was gonna comment but after seeing the article & photos of the 'parents' the words just won't come out.

Didn't say that. I know better now, and can afford to feed myself properly, and a child, if I had one. But some people may not realize that it's not all that wonderful for you. The article doesn't give any indication, but couldn't resources be a contributing factor? There's not enough to say one way or another, and food is expensive, at least here in the US. Fresh foods, especially. It's much cheaper to live on ramen and prepackaged crap than having to buy food that may spoil.

Edited for clarification.

I wonder whether they ever took him to the doctor, or the dentist. You don't come down with scurvy overnight, and scurvy is usually quite easy to treat with supplements, and improving the diet.

So if they never took him to the doctor, (which I do not know, the article does not say) maybe this is part of the charges of child neglect. If they did and it was never picked up, someone needs to be checking out the doctor who saw him.

• Like 2

I wonder whether they ever took him to the doctor, or the dentist. You don't come down with scurvy overnight, and scurvy is usually quite easy to treat with supplements, and improving the diet.

So if they never took him to the doctor, (which I do not know, the article does not say) maybe this is part of the charges of child neglect. If they did and it was never picked up, someone needs to be checking out the doctor who saw him.

Couldnt have put it better myself. x R.I.P poor boy x

Weird. Even as a child(I'm much older now) I was given "Flintstone" chewable vitaimins each day from my mom.

And we were a very poor family.

But she managed... God rest her soul.

Medical staff sometimes misdiagnose even 'modern' health problems, so I wonder, what are the chances of an over-worked junior doctor in A&E picking up on a dietary disorder essentially eradicated in the UK in the 18th. and 19th.Centuries?

Medical staff sometimes misdiagnose even 'modern' health problems, so I wonder, what are the chances of an over-worked junior doctor in A&E picking up on a dietary disorder essentially eradicated in the UK in the 18th. and 19th.Centuries?

I understand where you're coming from, but I would have thought that it would have been picked up, in the severe stages of the disease, extensive medical testing would have been undertaken when a child presented with those symptoms, even if no doctors originally would have thought of scurvy.

Which leads me to think that they didn't get him medical attention.