Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guantanamo Bay prison will get $195m makeover

Commander CMG

President Barack Obama famously promised in early 2009 to close the US military's detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba within 12 months. But new Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is instead considering a proposal from his top commanders to spend $195.7 million renovating it and erecting a new prison building.

The new construction would include $49 to house high-value targets like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind behind the 9/11 terror attacks, whose initial detention and interrogation was handled by the Central Intelligence Agency

Read more

What do the Cuban authorities do if someone escapes from there?

Probably arrest them. Having been to Cuba, they are no fans of radicals. Yes they glamorize the Revolution, however that is for Political Terms, Cuba is a very safe Country and they would rather not have to deal with Islamic Radicals.

To be honest I think it is a good idea to keep a prison for high value targets in a not so easily attacked location. However it needs oversight and shouldn't be kept in the dark like it was under the Bush Administration.

~Thanato

Are you freaking kidding me? [bangs head]

• Like 1

I don't get it. It's already "new". It was built up and rebuilt after 9/11. This smells fishy.

Smells fishy to me too... moneysharks in the waters... Blows my mind that the gov cuts spending on things like air traffic control towers but has millions to spend updating a prison that was supposed to get shut down.

Sounds about right,make a promise,do not keep it.All the gullible will drink the kool aid anyways and like it :clap: Its called politics people nothing fishy,nothing to see here....Thanks for your tax dollars and your votes though :tu:

I guess the mentality is it's not "my" money so I don't care. They find any reason to spend more and more. The worse though is straight up giving money away to foreign countries.

Bad form. And I thought the Obama administrations approach to terrorism wasn't to detain suspects but to blow them to smithereens with drones.

• Like 1

They're preparing for N. Korean terrorists! All jokes aside, this is a ridiculous idea, and complete waste of money. The amount of improvement our country needs is immense. This money is being wasted on a makeover, but could be spent on such better ideas, and yet our government acts as if none exist.

They're preparing for N. Korean terrorists! All jokes aside, this is a ridiculous idea, and complete waste of money. The amount of improvement our country needs is immense. This money is being wasted on a makeover, but could be spent on such better ideas, and yet our government acts as if none exist.

Yeah did you hear this was actually all requested by the inmates?A feel good story this is for all tax paying Americans,appeasing the enemy.Warms the heart doesnt it <_<

Yeah did you hear this was actually all requested by the inmates?A feel good story this is for all tax paying Americans,appeasing the enemy.Warms the heart doesnt it <_<

A $195mil makeover due to requests of inmates. Is that fact?

A $195mil makeover due to requests of inmates. Is that fact?

That is exactly how it was worded on 3 different news channels yesterday,said the inmates requested it to make them feel more accommodated.Not sure the inmates requested the whole 195 mil worth,im sure a few crooks decided they needed a few dollars in spare change aswell.

Prisons don't come cheap. There is a lot you have to do that you don't have to do with ordinary structures.

Aug. 2, 2007: Sen. Barack Obama makes a simple promise he will often repeat to loud domestic -- and foreign -- applause during his $750 million presidential campaign:

As President, I will close Guantanamo, reject the Military Commissions Act and adhere to the Geneva Conventions. Our Constitution and our Uniform Code of Military Justice provide a framework for dealing with the terrorists.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/07/obama-guantanamo.html

I'm having a hard time figuring out who the moron is - Obama or the fools that believed this and voted for him.

• Like 2

He closed the Detainment Facility. From this it sounds like they are renovating it to hold high valued targets away from the regular US Prison System. This makes sense as these people would most likely be subject to attempted jail break. Install civilian oversight and it should be good.

~Thanato