Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ready for the apocalypse!

Commander CMG

Imagine if suddenly, and completely without warning, the world experienced a total blackout – no electricity, no mobile phones, no banks, no internet, no TV, no emergency services. Nothing.

Highways quickly become jammed with cars that have ground to a halt; an aeroplane falls from the sky; a satellite view of the planet shows it rapidly plunging into darkness.

As it becomes apparent that the lights are never coming back on, nations are plunged into chaos, mass riots break out in major cities and, without electricity, governments are toppled. Into the vacuum step ad-hoc militias, armed and ready to enforce their own rule of law.

This is the apocalyptic premise of the hit American TV series Revolution, which begins on Sky 1 this week. In the first episode, viewers are pulled through this nightmarish chain of events.

arrow3.gifView: Read More

• Like 1

I'll be ok I have some Baked Beans haha

• Like 1

Sorry but the premise sounds stupid, and how the stories would go very predictable.

• Like 2

Mankind will find a way. Did you know that about 70,000 years ago we as a species just almost checked out? When Toba blew it's top, according to DNA evidence...we just almost went the way of the Dodo. It is suggested that the entire human population was reduced to something like 20,000 people...that is across the entire earth...and look at us today.

We can do this...we are an extremely clever species. Sure, alot of dumb folks are not going to make it...hell, I prob won't make it. But I have faith that humanity will survive just about anything that gets thrown at us. It might cause a total collapse and a return to stone age living...but we can do this...we have done it before.

Not everyone is cut out to make it through the hard times. Some who think they are still will not make it...arrogance serves no one. Those humble souls who have learned the ways of nature...who knows what to eat, who knows when to sew and when to reap...they will get through it. Money and power has zero to do with it in the big, long haul.

• Like 2

Yea -- that's basically the Hollywood version.

I assume that snarkiness was fired at me?

Whatever...I'd think you might know history and geology a tad bit better. As being from the general area...I'd think you might know some history of Toba...maybe not. If you do not know Toba, I suggest you get acquainted with it...it is not a dead monster...it is simply sleeping. If you think that the East is going to rise up like a dragon and rule the world...nope, not going to happen. Nature will smash it...like it always has....always will.

I generally appreciate your opinions Frank, but you are dead wrong if you are shooting at me...history DOES repeat itself...the east will never ever rule the world...nature has proven that over and over and over...just about the time you have power, you get smashed by mother earth. Not meant to be and never will be.

We are headed to a very weird time....entering odd places that we have never been in recorded history.

I have serious respect for the far eastern culture...but I am fully aware of the geological history as well and it would appear that something, somewhere is not going to let that dream come to fruition....

The western ideals are the future...and they will not die anytime soon. Imperialism is dead....communism is a dieing monster....neither could or would ever stop the growing beast we now know in the west.

• Like 2

We are kind of preppers. Not really because we think the end of the world could be coming... But rather we have seen it a few times when bad weather screwed up a place for weeks or months.... and also we had a personal "grid failure" while still living in the city.

So we decided to move to the boonies and get a bit off grid. Try to control our resources a bit and become homesteaders. Need a generator, because sometimes the power goes out, sometimes for days. Need to have a stocked pantry, because sometimes you can get snowed in for days. Grow a big garden, because then we might not have to face the choice between food or heat again.

We aren't as prepped as the folks in the article though.

• Like 1

The problem I have with the idea of preparing for an apocalypse is that there are so many different kinds of apocalypses of different magnitudes. An economic collapse has completely different survival needs from an infectious disease outbreak or from a natural disaster. The magnitude of the event also has to be figured in as well. A tornado is different from say a hurricane which is in turn different from the Yellowstone caldera exploding. And to be honest, people are already having problems right now with their finances and resources. How are they going to get enough to set aside in preparation for the most severe of these events?

Not saying that having a basic survival kit for a short term emergency is bad, but the degree that the people go to in the article is a tad extreme.

Sometimes I just can't resist -- that was such an alluring target. That may be a problem with staying on boards for awhile -- over time you p*** the participants off one by one.

Nothing is forever and we all die sooner or later. Apocalypse at the moment is close to the least of my worries.

Whatever Frank...yeah that is some serious contributions to conversation..."Oh I couldn't resist shining my @ss at someone"...nice work...and you are what?....14 years old?

nc507f2bde.gif

Just telling it like the historical and geological record shows....the Mongolians are the only ones that ever made a huge impact oustide of the region...and when they met the Ukranians...that didn't go so well. Not talking about trade and exploration, I am talking about conquest.

For every zealot, there is another zealot even more convinced they are right....how about we put zealotry aside and figure out how to live and work together for a brighter tomorrow?

Edited by Jeremiah65

Revolution has already been running in the US. I guess it's just now going to be across the pond - on sky. You're not missing anything. The premise is stupid. "electricity" stops working for some reason that they don't reveal. I suspect because the producers know full well the premise defies physics. It's kind of like "Lost" and that sucked in the end as well.

• Like 1

Revolution has already been running in the US. I guess it's just now going to be across the pond - on sky. You're not missing anything. The premise is stupid. "electricity" stops working for some reason that they don't reveal. I suspect because the producers know full well the premise defies physics. It's kind of like "Lost" and that sucked in the end as well.

Watched a bit of an episode the other day. The TV ads made it seem pretty cool, but it came off a bit far fetched to me.

And I agree Lost ended badly, started off so good as well.

Whatever Frank...yeah that is some serious contributions to conversation..."Oh I couldn't resist shining my @ss at someone"...nice work...and you are what?....14 years old?

nc507f2bde.gif

Just telling it like the historical and geological record shows....the Mongolians are the only ones that ever made a huge impact oustide of the region...and when they met the Ukranians...that didn't go so well. Not talking about trade and exploration, I am talking about conquest.

For every zealot, there is another zealot even more convinced they are right....how about we put zealotry aside and figure out how to live and work together for a brighter tomorrow?

Sheesh! I try to be nice and get that. Sheesh again.

• Like 1

The Mongols had no problems defeating the Ukranians, or any other European power. The only thing that stopped them was that their leaders kept dying, since they had to attend the Kurultai in Mongolia to determine the next Khan. Otherwise they may well have continued all the way to the Atlantic.

Exactly, it is beyond lame to believe you can flick a switch that stops "electricity" itself existing on the sphere. I couldn't help wondering what would happen in their little world if I rubbed my feet on the carpet and "tried to zap a friend" :su

I just love prepers i have a thought or two of becoming one myself.. This is not about crazy paranoid people or end of the earth ( yea when one says apocalypse people usually have this ideas of end of the planet... ) this is about being ready for what might come.. Right now we have very unstable weather, reports of various outbreaks of new disesases, space rocks freely hitting earth, imminent financial/economic collapse, drug resistant viruses, and list could go on...

If any of this events goes global you can expect chaos.. and if you are a preper you have huge chances of making out of it alive or healthy, meanwhile most will perish. 3 years ago i too thought they are paranoid abit, but seening picture of world today i think they are very smart and most of people should do the same.

Governments wont or wont be able to help in serious scenarios ( already seen so far ).. You will be THE help..

• Like 1

90% of all preppers are not prepairing for the end of the world as we know it. They are preparing for the next big storm, that cuts power for a week or 2. They are preparing for a possible job loss. Etc

Remember Grocery stores have at best 3 days worth of food on there shelves, same with the average family. Most people go grocery shopping a few times a week. Having a little food and water and other supplies on hand to survive a week or two or even a month to me makes sense. For instance what happens when you can't afford food because you lost your job?

~Thanato

• Like 4

I'll just add that right now we have heavy snowfall in end of March i havent seen anything like it before... in Russia they have Blizzard of century... in New York there is a bacterial outbreak of meningitis... 22 are infected 7 have died... In China they have massive polution and they found around 10.000 dead pigs in one of their rivers which offer tap or drinkable water, the authorities said there is no danger from that go figure... A virus is missing from a lab in somewhere in US, the people there THINK they burned it, what if they havent?

Go check this Alertmap. When something really bad is going to happen it will be shown there with details.

• Like 3

Well it makes sense to think about things that could happen and take reasonable measures. We have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors in the house and locks on the doors and windows.

We also have a family plan of what to do if a typhoon develops in the Eastern Sea (aka South China Sea), but there hasn't been one hit HCMC in over a thousand years so how worried do we have to be?

A pandemic is the biggest worry around here; no one keeps chickens any more and hand washing is now enforced.

What else to do? I suppose stock up, but what with? If there is no electricity stuff in the refrigerators won't last long. We buy bottled water so we would last a couple of months there, the same with cooking propane and we got lots of rice (we buy it cheap in bulk). I suppose there's be no power, hence no water pressure, hence no toilets. Doesn't sound pleasant at all.

But something can happen now more than ever before...

This is for what i would prep for :

linkz1

Linkz2

Worst case scenario ....

Linkz3

Edited by Tesla II

I'll just add that right now we have heavy snowfall in end of March i havent seen anything like it before... in Russia they have Blizzard of century... in New York there is a bacterial outbreak of meningitis... 22 are infected 7 have died... In China they have massive polution and they found around 10.000 dead pigs in one of their rivers which offer tap or drinkable water, the authorities said there is no danger from that go figure... A virus is missing from a lab in somewhere in US, the people there THINK they burned it, what if they havent?

Go check this Alertmap. When something really bad is going to happen it will be shown there with details.

Thanks for the link Tesla! :tu:

There's some type of "biological outbreak" in Galveston, Texas.

Does "biological outbreak" mean what I think it do?

The wife and I are somewhat preppers. We already live in the boonies. Plenty of guns and ammo. A mildly stocked pantry but plenty of wildlife and a pond full of tasty fish. A dug well on the property, 6k Watt generator and atlest 15 -20 gallons of fuel on hand at all times. Plus backup propane and kerosene heat. ( Wish we had a wood burner though )

We need to stock up on medical supplies. Definitely lacking there.

• Like 2

Thanks Tesla for the links especially the alertmap.

Its not just pigs now there are ducks involved too. Your always hearing about some disease they can't cure like the one that started in Saudi Arabia. This is what I worry about.

WHO Worried about Deadly Disease in Saudi Arabia

yeah if this was true to happen me an the ol lady would simply just grab our paks and head off up to the mountain we hang out at natural spring water flows year around plently of critters to eat shelter yeah already got that taken care of to where i go deer and bear hunting at got a small nice cabin /shelter shack already up plus since we go up there on a reg base got damn near every thing accept for maybe butt wipes but then again if you hang out in the woods like we do then you already got your ass covered...i say bring it on :gun: