Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ready for the apocalypse!

Commander CMG

as far as the rest goes if any ones wants to message me and i can give yeah pointers on how to make your own power supply and a few other ideas tryed tested and working solveing every day problems if your willing to put out the work to make it happen

like if you have a running creek you have your power and drinking plus waste water an more all right there togeather ...

and theres all kind of ways you can move water to where you need it at just all amatter of how much your willing to do

• Like 1

as far as the rest goes if any ones wants to message me and i can give yeah pointers on how to make your own power supply and a few other ideas tryed tested and working solveing every day problems if your willing to put out the work to make it happen

Those are definitely handy for several good hours of emergency power. I bought a decent quality deep cycle battery from Walmart. Stuck it inside a battery box. Mounted a DC to AC inverter to the top of it. Wired in a switch, fuse, and voltage meter. It'll run a small television for atleast several hours. Plus it's handy to recharge cell phones and such. Plus it's quiet power. Just recharge it from the generator or from a trickle charger when the power does come back on.

• Like 1

took a old elc motor reversed the core mags hooked a paddle wheel made out of pvc and wood slats off in the creek powers the water pump and charges the batteries for the solor pannels will run 3 60 watt light bulbs and a radio by its self depending on the creeks water flow the water pump is realy 4 reg ol camper water pumps set at 15 feet apart in to a gravity feed tank system made out of 55 gallon drums with reg old tolit tank cockvalve to refill the tanks and keep fresh water flowing all the time and the over flow tank holds 150 gallons that bleeder lines runing to a small garden area then back in to the creek drinking water orster shell and charcoal filtered gravity feed as well or you can walk out bout 35 yards and put yeah jug up next to the spring and or drink it right from there now at the creek .. scraped out a 20 foot wide spot about 3 feet deep with a hole close to 10 foot deep made a steel tubing frame with reg ol door screen around it

both inside and out bout 3x3 foot box to keep the leaves and critters out of the intank for the water pump line then 2 summers ago got a trac hoe off in the creek and dug out sum more of the slate rock and made a nice little shelved area to enjoy the cold creek in the summer or wash cloths or what ever every thing else is pritty much like a reg house wood stove to heat and cook

took a 55 gallon drum cut it long ways in half welding the two pices one inside the other made a steel tubing box frame for it to sit stable in took plate steel cut sum slats in it took a pice of left over roof tin with l channel flat iron made a drip pan and added a damper and pipe at one end works realy great heats the whole cabin nicely enuff the ol lady dont b**** about being cold when its in single digites out side

as far as the cabin goes 6 and 8 inch i beans fixed on 8 inch steel pipe inner framed with split pine trees and rail road ties and reg ol roof metal tin sheets on the out side yeah i know it sounds like a fkn mess but it's just like a reg cabin shack bed room in the loft kitchen bath room and liveing area below in a 6 foot deep dug out this year adding a lean to open roofed area along the front and side with maybe sum storage lockers or something along them lines dont realy know untill i get started on it how or what its gona end up being yet

• Like 2

Revolution has already been running in the US. I guess it's just now going to be across the pond - on sky. You're not missing anything. The premise is stupid. "electricity" stops working for some reason that they don't reveal. I suspect because the producers know full well the premise defies physics. It's kind of like "Lost" and that sucked in the end as well.

It's already played the first season in Australia. It's ok and alternative history is one of my favourite things, but yeah no biggie with the whole show, mass emp goes off, civil war breaks out, but already by the second season they are talking about and have a plot set up to have electricity access. So it leads it to a more government shut down the power theory. Pretty sloppy in the storylines if you ask me. *NOTE* I haven't ruined/spoiled it completely for anyone they are just the basic plots without destroying what is to be seen. :)

To be simple think; I am legend with no Will Smith and monsters... just a bunch of crazy people loosing their sh** yelling at manicans. LOL!

I have pondered over adopting preppy habbits but I'd probally be happy with just a toy storage container full of the essentials, I have my tool box and garden tools. Don't think it'd be overly hard depending on the situation but in the harder ones... if your gonna go your gonna go.

Same reason I poked fun at people that were scared of the 2012 apoccolypse theory... really if it was all going to go to the cleaners on Dec 21st there's probally next to nothing you could do to stop a meteor destroying the 400km radius of where you are. Enjoy yourself and your family.

Well it makes sense to think about things that could happen and take reasonable measures. We have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors in the house and locks on the doors and windows.

We also have a family plan of what to do if a typhoon develops in the Eastern Sea (aka South China Sea), but there hasn't been one hit HCMC in over a thousand years so how worried do we have to be?

A pandemic is the biggest worry around here; no one keeps chickens any more and hand washing is now enforced.

What else to do? I suppose stock up, but what with? If there is no electricity stuff in the refrigerators won't last long. We buy bottled water so we would last a couple of months there, the same with cooking propane and we got lots of rice (we buy it cheap in bulk). I suppose there's be no power, hence no water pressure, hence no toilets. Doesn't sound pleasant at all.

They don't sell canned foods over there, Frank? Surely they do, anyway...you could stock up on one years worth of canned food. Then all you would have to do is rotate those canned foods out by the usual everyday consumption, you consume the oldest first and replace it with new canned food bought at the store during your weekly or monthly shopping. This way, you don't let canned food get too old and you refresh your supply keeping one year's worth of canned food.

Just a common old survival technique since pantries were invented, probably even before that, nothing new, yet it's the best idea ever thought of over the ages and gives you a little peace of mind in the long run.

Edit: Ironic typo :D

Edited by Purifier

How are we gonna buy stuff after the apocalypse? Barter may be in fashion again, and instead of toilet paper money (cotton Federal Reserve notes) that will eventually float away in the air, there's always real money that's the most oxidation-resistant metal on earth. Here's the most innovative apocalypse-money I've seen yet:

• Like 1

How are we gonna buy stuff after the apocalypse? Barter may be in fashion again, and instead of toilet paper money (cotton Federal Reserve notes) that will eventually float away in the air, there's always real money that's the most oxidation-resistant metal on earth. Here's the most innovative apocalypse-money I've seen yet:

Well if a so-called apocalypse did happen and there were any survivors left, usually people would just trade much needed commodities. You know, like: guns, ammo, knives, blankets, gasoline, clothes, soap, water, sugar, salt, canned foods, hell...even toilet paper!

• Like 1

Well if a so-called apocalypse did happen and there were any survivors left, usually people would just trade much needed commodities. You know, like: guns, ammo, knives, blankets, gasoline, clothes, soap, water, sugar, salt, canned foods, hell...even toilet paper!

At first it would be a clusterfudge where nobody would know what the trade values of any of those things were, and people would be getting extremely good and extremely bad deals. This will continue until relative values are determined by the market in gold/silver/platinum/palladium/copper terms and the wild variance seen in trade normalized.

• Like 1

At first it would be a clusterfudge where nobody would know what the trade values of any of those things were, and people would be getting extremely good and extremely bad deals. This will continue until relative values are determined by the market in gold/silver/platinum/palladium/copper terms and the wild variance seen in trade normalized.

That's true, some people will get ripped off in the long run, probably even robbed and killed for what they may have to trade. But, such are the woes of a new beginning in a human society, until civilization with a money system could once again be established. And how long that takes, depends upon the survivors and their children. Unfortunately, it's the way of the world when the survival of the fittest is at hand, especially when bad things like this happen.

• Like 1

That's true, some people will get ripped off in the long run, probably even robbed and killed for what they may have to trade. But, such are the woes of a new beginning in a human society, until civilization with a money system could once again be established. And how long that takes, depends upon the survivors and their children. Unfortunately, it's the way of the world when the survival of the fittest is at hand, especially when bad things like this happen.

True, the people with guns will get the best deals until a regulated marketplace develops where people can have greater knowledge and control over what they're purchasing.

• Like 1