Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are our oceans on the brink of collapse ?

Saru

Overfishing and other destructive factors may be pushing the world's oceans towards disaster.

As the human footprint has spread, the remaining wildernesses on our planet have retreated. However, dive just a few meters below the ocean surface and you will enter a world where humans very rarely venture.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

I am not holding my breath for change. People will keep doing what they do until they can't do it anymore cause it is all used up.

• Like 6

With the worlds population getting larger every year I don't look for anything to change until its too late. Then you have oils spills, trash, what happened in Fukushima, radioactive waste dumped in the ocean. As the ocean goes so shall we.

• Like 4

Can`t believe BP are still in business!

• Like 3

Need explore every bit of ocean to explore before making judgements

...and many thousands of prawns wash up on the shores of Chile.

Climate change goes right up there next to "death & taxes" as the only certainty in life. CC is a process, as sure as the wind blows.

I am with Nixon on this one (well the New Nixon that is), it is a bold claim to make with how little we know of our oceans.

I do believe one of our biggest problems with the sea is all we really get to see is its surface, we do not see the consequences of our actions as immediately as we do with deforestation and other man made ills. So for the average Joe the sea looks great, but as with smokers the damage is happening where we cannot see it and by the time it is noticeable it is usually to late.

For me saying it is too late now is a bit premature, but that is what is needed to prompt change...

Edited by Junior Chubb

We know a surprisingly large amount about the state of the oceans. The main source of data is in the form of fisheries catch data which show consistent collapse of stocks in all areas of the globe.

I really think that Nixons position is avoidance in the face of unavoidable data.

Br Cornelius

Thats why fish farms and new fast growing breeds (salmon, for example, which, BTW caused such a negative stir) is rather necessity than option.

Edit: missing words

Edited by bmk1245

I really think that Nixons position is avoidance in the face of unavoidable data.

Which Nixon is that, the old or the new ;)

So how bad are the Oceans? I should imagine fish stocks and damage from trawling would re-balance if they were stopped now. The most frightening thing I have read is of the high levels of plastics in parts of our seas that I should imagine would not find a natural level if left alone.

I was also wondering about the 'mass deaths' of certain species washing up on beaches, would you see these as part of the problem caused by man rather than a naturally occurring event?

I will stick by one of my points though,for many people as long as the sea looks blue it 'healthy' and what going on under the surface can be ignored where as more visible damage to the planet is concentrated on.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Humans are a very successful species. We demand a lot from this planet. Our carbon footprint is expansive. Consequently, this planet is in global evolutionary race as to who and what can keep up with us. There will be inevitable loss, perhaps us, eventually.

When man spills billions of gallons of oil in the Gulf Of Mexico, sprays it with Corexit so that it sinks to the ocean floor, it will take years to determine the actual damage. :cry:

• Like 1

yes i blame most that is happening on the earth,nature and the oceans and etc on humanity for the following reasons:1)humanity is polluting the earth with these chem trails,2)throwing garbage in the oceans and waters,3)humanity has a destructive nature or etc that not only affects humanity alone but the whole planet,4)we treat the whole planet as we treat others including people especially.believe it or not all this leads to humanity not all of humanity but most.you know who you are!!!you may fool others but you can't lie to oneself.all it takes for bad/evil to win is for good people to do nothing to stop them and evil itself!!!

humanity needs to learn real quick first the bees then the oceans and then what?really guys how long before humanity really and deeply feels the pain then well see how really adaptable humanity really is!!!

I hope its not too late to save the Oceans...Before the Green idea took off recently,tankers used to clean the tanks at sea,thousands of tons of sludge oil went overboard, and it is said by seamen that there is a ridge of garbage running from Europe to America,when Passenger ships dumped all the waste while crossing to and fro.Now there are 1000's of containers on the Ocean floor from ships losing them in bad weather.I guess we are leaving a Garbage legacy to our Grandkids to solve.I'm not surprised that sea life is failing due to our not caring attitude.

• Like 1

Overfishing and other destructive factors may be pushing the world's oceans towards disaster.

Well, we know it's coming. We just don't know exactly when.

But the good news is that with protection and good management, much of the ocean can still recover. It's purely a matter of politics.

Doug

Well, we know it's coming. We just don't know exactly when.

But the good news is that with protection and good management, much of the ocean can still recover. It's purely a matter of politics.

Doug

The problem is Doug,that Politicians are more worried about climbing the power ladder, and trying to put one over the opposition in Congress or our Parliament, to worry about a few hundred 1000 fish dying.Its politics that are polluted,and only the ordinary people can change that.
  • Like 3

My prediction, based on events so far, is that no effective action will be taken on any of the significant environmental crisis we face. Nature will impose a readjustment on society, not the other way round.

Br Cornelius

I hope its not too late to save the Oceans...Before the Green idea took off recently,tankers used to clean the tanks at sea,thousands of tons of sludge oil went overboard, and it is said by seamen that there is a ridge of garbage running from Europe to America,when Passenger ships dumped all the waste while crossing to and fro.Now there are 1000's of containers on the Ocean floor from ships losing them in bad weather.I guess we are leaving a Garbage legacy to our Grandkids to solve.I'm not surprised that sea life is failing due to our not caring attitude.

• Like 3

My prediction, based on events so far, is that no effective action will be taken on any of the significant environmental crisis we face. Nature will impose a readjustment on society, not the other way round.

Br Cornelius

I agree with this. I think eventually mother nature will get fed up with us humans messing up her oceans and land. And then mother nature will kick our arses.

• Like 2

[media=]

[/media]

That was so sad I could barely watch it without tearing up. Man has done this to them.

That was so sad I could barely watch it without tearing up. Man has done this to them.

It appears to me that is all we do to/for them: deliver sadness.

And yes, I also could not watch this video with dry eyes.

But next morning most will have forgotten what they watched the evening before.

It's a sad and stupid world we live in, or better, a world we all created..

• Like 1

When man spills billions of gallons of oil in the Gulf Of Mexico, sprays it with Corexit so that it sinks to the ocean floor, it will take years to determine the actual damage. :cry:

Agreed man!As i said in a different topic,we see only what is right before us at the current moment.When the truth of the matter comes face to face with our past screw ups we will lie,defy,and deny.Pass the blame and try to ensure others believe it.

• Like 1