Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to get that tune out of your head

Still Waters

They are the songs you cannot get out of your head. Now scientists may have found a way to help anyone plagued by those annoying tunes that lodge themselves inside our heads and repeat on an endless loop.

Researchers claim the best way to stopping the phenomenon, sometimes known as earworms – where snippets of a catchy song inexplicably play like a broken record in your brain – is to solve some tricky anagrams.

http://www.telegraph...f-earworms.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReaperS_ParadoX

• Still Waters

• rashore

• freetoroam

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try that, but as of now can`t get the words "how to get that tune out of your head" out of my head!

Is earworms the scientific name for this phenomena?

That's an interesting trick... I usually just listen to the darn song, or listen to another catchy song and that fixes my earworms.

I've found whistling Twisted Nerve is wonderful for killing my earworms.. Though I've planted that earworm in other folks heads quite often.

Edited by rashore

. I don´t like complicated anagrams. Here is a method passed down through generations, Out loud, sing the song (or as much as you know) to the end and then give a big TA-DA like you are finishing a performance, Works every time! ;)

I´d also divulge the key to stopping hiccups, but in doing so would put my life in danger.

My way used to be to visualize a record playing the song and I just lift the arm off the record. Now days I suppose visualize pushing the off button on a CD player.

WOW earworms is really the scientific name, lol I just let the song run its course, simple as that