Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunting images of drowned churches

Still Waters

Rising from ponds, lakes and man-made reservoirs like vestiges of an ancient civilization, submerged churches in Europe, Asia and South America have been drawing tourists eager to catch a glimpse of the decaying beauty before it is consumed by water.

The water-logged religious sites, some of them dating back to the Middle Ages, still could be seen peeking out of bodies of water in such far-flung places as Russia and India, Italy and Brazil.

http://www.dailymail...reservoirs.html

Amazing photos :)

Fstop, I kinda see what you mean. Guess it's because the buildings look so out of place with the surroundings.

• Like 1

Yeah. There's just one in particular where it looks sorta junky like a sloppy photoshopping around the areas where the foreground of the church meets the waterline and then also the background. But it could just be JPEG compression artifacts. I know its common for towns to be vacated and flooded to make reservoirs. The State lake near where I live has a small town at the bottom of it. The water level is getting so low that I wonder if it will start to be exposed soon. That would be cool I think. Have to get out there with my camera.

Great pictures but a shame they had to be sacrificed for damns, lakes and hydroelectric plants. This has happened in a lot of places.