Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tourists illegally scale the Great Pyramid

DKO

These photographs capture the views from the top of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

A group of Russian tourists waited until official visiting hours were over at Egypt's famous Giza Necropolis, before scaling the enormous Great Pyramid as the sun began to set.

The Russians managed to escape the attention of security guards at the ancient site, allowing photographer Vitaliy Raskalov to snap pictures of the surrounding desert and the majestic Sphinx from the top of the 455ft structure.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2OcnD99S6

Amazing photos in the link.

Edited by DKO
  • Like 2

Cool pics. I hope the tourists don't end up in front of a radical Islamist Judge. I bet the security guys are going to get a real talking to.

• Like 1

I never knew the city was so close to the pyramids.

I've always wondered how difficult it would be to climb it :)

• Like 2

There are letters carved into some of the blocks. Wonder who they were done by.

I never knew the city was so close to the pyramids.

Just like any other monument, gotta build right up to it. I think the angle of most photographs make you think it's not that close to anything at all. Looking at Google Maps, any photos taken from the north facing south will make it appear as though the pyramids are out in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Lady Kasey
  • Like 1

I was there is 82. The pyramids set right the edge of the city. Cool place to visit.

I saw that too. Someone really took some time to carve that. Or is the limestone soft enough to carve with a pen knife?

I thought it was probably like the other various graffiti, done back when few monitored what people were doing on the site. Even the relieving chambers of the Great Pyramid has tons of modern graffiti in it. And that is a lot harder to get into then the outside surface of the pyramid.

Kilroy?

• Like 1

I saw that too. Someone really took some time to carve that. Or is the limestone soft enough to carve with a pen knife?

I thought it was probably like the other various graffiti, done back when few monitored what people were doing on the site. Even the relieving chambers of the Great Pyramid has tons of modern graffiti in it. And that is a lot harder to get into then the outside surface of the pyramid.

Yeah some letters are very neat, especially in the first picture.

Mankind at its finest, if there's a place someone is not meant to be, you will definitely find graffiti.

• Like 1

Great views, it wouldn't do to lose your footing on your way up!

Edit: or down come to think of it :unsure2:

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 1

I've always wondered how difficult it would be to climb it :)

My Mom's Mom and Step Dad (a methodist minister) used to take tours to the Holy Land .. in the 50's i think.. They hired locals as "boosters" to help the tourists climb. I saw slides and movies of their trips. (narrated by Grandpa lol) .. it sounded like it was not an easy climb.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

The downside to this story is the possibility of copycats....They got some beautiful photos but maybe they shouldnt have been made public...