Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bring Animals Back from Extinction [merged]

Commander CMG

• Species include dodo, the Carolina Parakeet, and the Quagga, a plains zebra
  • The process is called 'de-extinction' and poses a number of ethical questions
  • 10 years ago teams brought back extinct wild goat - it lived for 10 minutes

Scientists have met to discuss the possibility of bringing back 24 animals back from extinction.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Give them time and we will be putting up with the loud and obnoxious Neanderthal living next door.

I would rather see them come up with a way we can keep species that are still here from going extinct.

• Like 2

I think they should be using the technology to save the species we have left.

• Like 1

As long as they don't bring this extinct creature I will be okay with it.

tumblr_lg2r8inppZ1qfhmoho1_400.jpg

• Like 2

What the hell for? We'd probably just drive them back into extinction again.

• Like 1

It's called "de-extinction," the act of bringing an extinct animal back to life by reassembling its genome and injecting it into embryonic cells. After that, it's the simple matter of finding a surrogate. Last week, scientists met to discuss which animals should be up for consideration. We've highlighted 17 of their 24 final choices.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/slideshow/2013/03/27/animals-bring-back-from-extinction/?intcmp=features#slide=1#ixzz2OlIFWGL0

http://www.foxnews.com/science/slideshow/2013/03/27/animals-bring-back-from-extinction/?intcmp=features#slide=1

Which one would you most favor?

It's a tough choice between the thylacine, wooly mammoth and the elephant bird.

I think I would choose wooly mammoth since that is the one I would most like to actually see.

This was already posted on here.

I really don't get why the Wooly Mammoth or Sabre tooth Cats are on this list... Where the hell are they going to put them?!!!! If they will be stuck in a cage then I don;'t want any of them to be brought back.

If they will try to establish them back in the wild then the only logical ones are the ones that we hunted to extinction. Any that died out naturally ior evolved is a bad idea.

I don't even agree with this at all to be honest. I think there are other things that this resources should be put into.

• Like 3

Oh my God. Man is so lost. Man feels so incomplete he is still seeking to find the missing link to his own existence! Let alone that of animals past!

Are there any experiments where the 'scientists' were even been able to resurrect life from a non-extinct species?

One of their dead Lab Rats for instance?

It is sad that beautiful creatures have died out, for whatever reason, it was their fate, their time is done.

Digging up this boneyard is a dead-end. There is no noble motive.

Concentrate on the living you idiots :td:

• Like 1

Too inefficient. I think they should combine the DNA of the 24 species and create 1 new species!

I wouldnt be so quick to write off dinos though. Sure we have degraded DNA (and we will only find degraded DNA), but with advances in tech and computers, who knows if it won't be possible in another ten or two or thirty years. I for one want a pet raptor :whistle:

• Like 1

Oh my God. Man is so lost. Man feels so incomplete he is still seeking to find the missing link to his own existence! Let alone that of animals past!

Are there any experiments where the 'scientists' were even been able to resurrect life from a non-extinct species?

One of their dead Lab Rats for instance?

It is sad that beautiful creatures have died out, for whatever reason, it was their fate, their time is done.

Digging up this boneyard is a dead-end. There is no noble motive.

Concentrate on the living you idiots :td:

I disagree. There is much more money spent on useless studies. I would like to see one of these animals brought back. Maybe just for my selfish reason of wanting to see one living and breathing.

• Like 1

I think they should be using the technology to save the species we have left.

Respectfully I disagree with sentiments like this. The technologies are not in competition with each other, and even if they were we should do both and doing one will help with doing the other.

I disagree. There is much more money spent on useless studies. I would like to see one of these animals brought back. Maybe just for my selfish reason of wanting to see one living and breathing.

Awww how cute... :yes: What does Mammoth taste like on a barbeque.

Everything about it is unnatural; from their birth to their captive habitats not to mention diets.

Their call of the wild, their inherent genetic behaviours would be compromised because of this, their intended purpose for existence would be betrayed by their creation.

They can never adapt in this overcrowded competitive world that is becoming even more extinct as you read.

There are too many missing pieces in the delicate jigsaw of life to warrant such a costly and futile experiment.

Unfortunately these creatures would be freaks of nature, lab rats , subject to trial and era, and every experiment under the sun.

How would you like to be born into a world where men in white coats stick test tubes and God knows what up you for generations :blush:?.

Not a pretty picture huh?

For these reasons and more,the truth is you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Not one.

Like I said before there are no noble motives. Just egos.

Why dont they do something sensible like build a time machine, transport themselves to prehistory and stay there.

• Like 1

Awww how cute... :yes: What does Mammoth taste like on a barbeque. - I wouldn't mind finding out

Everything about it is unnatural; from their birth to their captive habitats not to mention diets.

Their call of the wild, their inherent genetic behaviours would be compromised because of this, their intended purpose for existence would be betrayed by their creation. - I don't understand what you mean by intended purpose

They can never adapt in this overcrowded competitive world that is becoming even more extinct as you read.

There are too many missing pieces in the delicate jigsaw of life to warrant such a costly and futile experiment.

Unfortunately these creatures would be freaks of nature, lab rats , subject to trial and era, and every experiment under the sun.

How would you like to be born into a world where men in white coats stick test tubes and God knows what up you for generations :blush:?. - I would not want to be born a chicken either, but I'm going to eat chicken for lunch today.

Not a pretty picture huh?

For these reasons and more,the truth is you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Not one. - I disagree. Sooner or later it will be done.

Like I said before there are no noble motives. Just egos. - You are assuming here. I would argue that it could be "noble" to bring back one of the smaller birds on that list. A bird could thrive in todays world. I don't necessarily think it IS noble, but I can understand why someone might.

Why dont they do something sensible like build a time machine, transport themselves to prehistory and stay there. - I'd rather them continue with their current research. I'm not a bad guy because I want this. :st

Bringing back an extinct organism would be a tremendous achievement, and I can see the idea makes some religious types uneasy. Perhaps because the accomplishment would take some of the magic out of just what a species is.

The animal would probably be imperfect, and would as a result, at least at first, would probably suffer. This should and can be mitigated. It would also be unnatural in that its environment is gone. But then zoos are unnatural and if there is no other way to preserve species we must rely on them as our final stopgap.

• Like 1

Hello Myles Im sure if the scientists breed enough species it may benefit humanity by putting more food on our plates lol.

By "...intended purpose..." I meant the natural intended purpose of that animals function in the world. For instance a bird might live on the berries of certain plants and as part of their function they may disperse seeds amongst the forest. Lots of things in nature are co dependant, everything has its intended purpose in the grand order of things.

Mans purpose however does not seem as clear cut.

There is nothing humane about probing into the dead.

Captivity does have a way of impeding on natural development even with the best intentions. Ask any zoo animal.

Wild instinct is the 6th sense, not every animal can be domesticated or is meant for the circus; but even circus elephants can turn bad.

Even my pet dog bit me yesterday. OUchh!

This is why I say you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Once theyre gone, say goodbye. Dont be fooled into believing the white coats can wave a magic wand and youll wake up tomorrow with a Giant Panda licking honey out of your ears :no:. They do not have the solution to extinction. I hope people remember the reality is what lies in this world and not the next.

Hopefully people wont become desensitised to the problems we truly face by subscribing to this nonsense.

Besides, apart from your own amusement and curiosity being fulfilled, what good would it do to reincarnate the beasts of the Earth?

Bringing back an extinct organism would be a tremendous achievement, and I can see the idea makes some religious types uneasy. Perhaps because the accomplishment would take some of the magic out of just what a species is.

The animal would probably be imperfect, and would as a result, at least at first, would probably suffer. This should and can be mitigated. It would also be unnatural in that its environment is gone. But then zoos are unnatural and if there is no other way to preserve species we must rely on them as our final stopgap.

Hi Frank, zoos are unnatural, death is not.

Our final stopgap is death.

Edited by taniwha

We should not be playing God... we should not be playing God... we should not be playing God..

Everytime you can hear this mantra when something like in the opening post is published.

Can anyone tell me how God plays anyway?

Hello Myles Im sure if the scientists breed enough species it may benefit humanity by putting more food on our plates lol. -

By "...intended purpose..." I meant the natural intended purpose of that animals function in the world. For instance a bird might live on the berries of certain plants and as part of their function they may disperse seeds amongst the forest. Lots of things in nature are co dependant, everything has its intended purpose in the grand order of things. - Perhaps the scientists "purpose" is to bring back extinct animals.

Mans purpose however does not seem as clear cut.

There is nothing humane about probing into the dead.

Captivity does have a way of impeding on natural development even with the best intentions. Ask any zoo animal.

Wild instinct is the 6th sense, not every animal can be domesticated or is meant for the circus; but even circus elephants can turn bad.

Even my pet dog bit me yesterday. OUchh!

This is why I say you will never see any animal resurrected as God intended it. Once theyre gone, say goodbye. Dont be fooled into believing the white coats can wave a magic wand and youll wake up tomorrow with a Giant Panda licking honey out of your ears :no:. They do not have the solution to extinction. I hope people remember the reality is what lies in this world and not the next. - Do you believe that it cannot be done? Whether now or in future years, I'm nearly 100% sure that it will and can be done. The advances with DNA in the last decade is incredible.

Hopefully people wont become desensitised to the problems we truly face by subscribing to this nonsense.

Besides, apart from your own amusement and curiosity being fulfilled, what good would it do to reincarnate the beasts of the Earth?

We should not be playing God... we should not be playing God... we should not be playing God..

Everytime you can hear this mantra when something like in the opening post is published.

I agree. How far do you take the "should not be playing God" thought? Life saving surgury? CPR? or as far down as seeing a doctor for a broken arm?

There is nothing wrong with unnatural.

Death is natural. We can even call it Godly. It is the obvious conclusion to a life~cycle.

I agree. How far do you take the "should not be playing God" thought? Life saving surgury? CPR? or as far down as seeing a doctor for a broken arm?

Why do you worry so much? Why stop short of Immortality? :unsure2:

Problems would be multiplied, not reduced by this experiment. Man has already proved inept at preserving what IS.

You can no more resurrect the beasts of the Earth than you can wrap the world in cotton wool. It is not going to solve anything.

There are only egos... :td:

Death is natural. We can even call it Godly. It is the obvious conclusion to a life~cycle.

Why do you worry so much? Why stop short of Immortality? :unsure2:

Problems would be multiplied, not reduced by this experiment. Man has already proved inept at preserving what IS.

You can no more resurrect the beasts of the Earth than you can wrap the world in cotton wool. It is not going to solve anything.

There are only egos... :td:

You didn't answer my question - How far do you take the "should not be playing God" thought? Life saving surgury? CPR? or as far down as seeing a doctor for a broken arm?

I still like the idea of bringing them back.