Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star?

Commander CMG

I don’t know what all the fuss is about, there will always be some individuals that will hurl abuse at sports stars that come out and admit their sexuality, but all in all, the general public will have no problem accepting it and will probably show them more respect.

I wouldn't care what anyone called me, if i was black, gay, red, yellow or whatever.. If I were getting paid Millions of $$$$$ every year, they could call me what they wanted, because at the end of the game, I get to go to my mansion or private yacht.

• Player has not been identified, but announcement is said to take place 'within the next few months'
  • There has never been an openly gay active player in American football's nearly 100-year history
  • Debate about gay players in the NFL was reignited after the Manti Te'o 'fake girlfriend' scandal

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with it.

I do see where it can cause issues:

Would need seperate locker rooms. It's not wrong for a straight guy to feel uncomfortable half naked in front of a gay man.

Teams may feel obligated to not cut a gay man on their team for fear of public outcry.

The typical pats on the butt might be taken differently. :w00t: That ones a joke.

As with most new things, it will get worked out.

• Like 1

the NFL has had since 1920 to get used to the possibility. if they're not ready for an openly gay man competing they should have their heads examined

Keep in mind that many NFL players are very young and young men are not open minded about being naked in a locker room with a gay person. The PC crowd may not like it but gay football players are probably going to be better off practicing the don't ask don't tell strategy.

• Like 2

Earlier message brings to mind when I was in college doing swimming for my physical ed. requirement, we all ran around bare-ass. Some of the guys had to have been gay but back then of course I was oblivious. I don't suppose it would have bothered me if I had known. Time and place, you know.

I can see if someone is openly gay how others might have a reluctance to undress with them there. Having gay friends is easy nowadays -- they behave themselves -- but it would be kinda like undressing in front of one's sister.

Have I stuck my neck in a noose?

• Like 1

As much as I'd like to say the macho straight football players should just suck it up and deal with it, I'm 99% sure they will attack in subtle ways. I mean football is a very physical game and there are many ways someone can get "accidentally" injured during a game. A gay player could very easily become a paraplegic and all for what?

I suspect people who travel in those circles already know who is what and so on, and are more tolerant than the general public.

Gay players in the NFL always get the shaft.

Usually that only happens to the tight ends and wide receivers.

• Like 4

Earlier message brings to mind when I was in college doing swimming for my physical ed. requirement, we all ran around bare-ass. Some of the guys had to have been gay but back then of course I was oblivious. I don't suppose it would have bothered me if I had known. Time and place, you know.

I can see if someone is openly gay how others might have a reluctance to undress with them there. Having gay friends is easy nowadays -- they behave themselves -- but it would be kinda like undressing in front of one's sister.

Have I stuck my neck in a noose?

Not at all. It's not far off of expecting women to be OK with being naked in front of straight men.

We once had a gay man who was a cleaner at our Gym, I was talking to him once about him having to pop in and out of the changing rooms, and how did he feel about that.. He was openly honest and said ‘at times he had to leave because he would get a hot flush, now and then.’

I just laughed it off.. he was obviously talking about me?

I thought to myself back then: “I wonder if a gay man cleaning the men’s changing rooms would be like a straight man cleaning the women’s?”

We once had a gay man who was a cleaner at our Gym, I was talking to him once about him having to pop in and out of the changing rooms, and how did he feel about that.. He was openly honest and said ‘at times he had to leave because he would get a hot flush, now and then.’

I just laughed it off.. he was obviously talking about me?

I thought to myself back then: “I wonder if a gay man cleaning the men’s changing rooms would be like a straight man cleaning the women’s?”

I assume it would be similar but not quite to the extent overall.

I do not see why he shouldnt be allowed to play football,but lets all be honest this PC s**t is getting a bit out of control!Let them live their life no problem but i do not see straight NFL players during interviews after games saying well im about to go live my straight life,do my straight wife,praise me because im straight,defend me because im straight.Get over all the publicity s**t.Football is just a game,there are enough overpaid attention whores without having to bring who they prefer to sleep with into it.

• Like 5

I do not see why he shouldnt be allowed to play football,but lets all be honest this PC s**t is getting a bit out of control!Let them live their life no problem but i do not see straight NFL players during interviews after games saying well im about to go live my straight life,do my straight wife,praise me because im straight,defend me because im straight.Get over all the publicity s**t.Football is just a game,there are enough overpaid attention whores without having to bring who they prefer to sleep with into it.

I understand what you are saying, and the spirit of your thought is how it should be. Unfortunately, there is a lot of hate and discrimination being directed at those who are homosexual. With that said, when someone of prominence is gay, when they come out in public, it does two things. 1) It gives a shock to the bigots who did look up to said gay person 2) It gives homosexuals a 'champion' (for lack of a better word) against the bigots.

Again, you're correct that it shouldn't matter. You're not correct assuming straight people and gay people are treated equally in the U.S.

Edited by green_dude777

I understand what you are saying, and the spirit of your thought is how it should be. Unfortunately, there is a lot of hate and discrimination being directed at those who are homosexual. With that said, when someone of prominence is gay, when they come out in public, it does two things. 1) It gives a shock to the bigots who did look up to said gay person 2) It gives homosexuals a 'champion' (for lack of a better word) against the bigots.

Again, you're correct that it shouldn't matter. You're not correct assuming straight people and gay people are treated equally in the U.S.

I never assumed they were treated equally in some places i know they are not,but in my opinion a game is not the place to push views on others.I watch football for entertainment and to just sit back relax and not have to here about politics,views,and feelings.I believe all should be treated fairly,but this world is a tough place not all will ever get over things no matter how many rules,regulations,and scorn we put out there.

I never assumed they were treated equally in some places i know they are not,but in my opinion a game is not the place to push views on others.I watch football for entertainment and to just sit back relax and not have to here about politics,views,and feelings.I believe all should be treated fairly,but this world is a tough place not all will ever get over things no matter how many rules,regulations,and scorn we put out there.

My post was to point out why homosexuals 'come out' in public, and why heterosexual people don't. If it was against the norm to be heterosexual, then they would 'come out'.

To make this simpler, you wouldn't see this on TV at all if people weren't prejudice against gay people. I find this ironic; the people who dislike gay people are the direct cause of why they are on TV 'coming out'.

Don't really care but its going to be an annoying thing to have to hear about it everyday. It isn't like this will be the next Jackie Robinson or Rosa Parks. Gays have been playing the game a long time.

I think it's a lame move to be PC. The NFL should just come out and say that there are already gay players and they're ok with it and if that player wants to come out then come out but to have a poster boy is just overdoing it. Many people won't care but still many people will. He'd better be up for the publicity cause it's gonna take a toll. One thing for sure to make this mean anything is that he'd better be good. So who do you think he'll play for? San Francisco?

Football is just a game

Just a game? At Notre Dame it is a religion. At BAMA it is a way of life!! ROLL TIDE

Edited by Bama13

Don't really care but its going to be an annoying thing to have to hear about it everyday. It isn't like this will be the next Jackie Robinson or Rosa Parks. Gays have been playing the game a long time.

I think it's a lame move to be PC. The NFL should just come out and say that there are already gay players and they're ok with it and if that player wants to come out then come out but to have a poster boy is just overdoing it. Many people won't care but still many people will. He'd better be up for the publicity cause it's gonna take a toll. One thing for sure to make this mean anything is that he'd better be good. So who do you think he'll play for? San Francisco?

You think it's a lame move to be PC? I hope you're just generalizing and have trivial things in mind, because I don't find it lame to not be prejudice over genetic traits.

Funny thing that you mentioned the 9ers.... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/01/31/jarrett-bell-chris-culliver-gay-locker-room/1881909/

So who do you think he'll play for? San Francisco?

LOL. Or Dallas. Just 'cause they're all gay.

Just a game? At Notre Dame it is a religion. At BAMA it is a way of life!! ROLL TIDE

I just meant NFL,Geaux Tigers!!! :P:lol:

You think it's a lame move to be PC? I hope you're just generalizing and have trivial things in mind, because I don't find it lame to not be prejudice over genetic traits.

While it is not me that you were responding to, I'll chime in. I think it is lame to be overly PC. There is too much of it.

• Like 2

Funny thing that you mentioned the 9ers.... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/01/31/jarrett-bell-chris-culliver-gay-locker-room/1881909/

Yes, I think it's lame to have a poster boy for the abuse he will get as well as the retardedly skewed special attention he will get. If the NFL wants to be seen as tolerant all they have to do is announce that there are and have been gay players and that they're ok with that and that they'll condemn bigoted attacks against said players. That's all. And yes there will be public scrutiny. For example, nobody is against fighting breast cancer but there was not one red blooded male that was pleased to see the players wearing pink everything a couple of years ago in October and each season since. What's next? Rainbows on their helmets?

Yes, I see the irony in the fact that retardedly isn't a word.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-