Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptozoological Mystery

Vox

Hiya guys! I came across this article in a spanish website, it's about a fish that was caught off the Canary Isles. I'll try my best in translating the article biggrin.gif (p.s. when you see a dash (-) preceeding text, that is me trying to clarify the information a bit) :-

When the Alicantese fishing company belonging to the Caparos Hernandez brothers docked in the Canarian port, few could imagine what strange creature was entagled in the vessel's nets. A strange and unknown fish weighing 70 kg and measuring 2 metres long had been captured alongside another known yet by no means less extraordinary 70 kg "pez (-fish) moneda (-coin) or reloj (-clock)" - my translation of the type of fish is lacking so the words in brackets are literal translations from the spanish blink.gif

The unusual creature was bought by a local municipal fish market, in the Canary Isles, namely the "Pescaderia Batista", who have had the creature on display the greater part of yesterday and today to the great enthusiasm of lovers of the unknown. The ships owner Don Antonio Caparros Seguro affirmed that "after 40 years of fishing in the ocean it is the first time that he has witnessed a similar creature. It's head resembles that of a tortoise, or a snake than that of a fish, however its body looks like that of a sole (-or flat) fish. It's eyes are large and concave as well as possesing a mouth the shape of a horn (-the type that makes noise, not the horn you find on a bull) full of very sharp teeth."

As of yet no scientist or biologist has issued any relevant declaration, only one zoologist, Christopher Houdson of the University of New South Wales has declared with respect confirming that "after only visualising the photograph, and with due caution, I am capable of confirming that the animal, posseses all the characteristics to be studied by the corresponding taxodermists to deduce the origen of this species that otherwise seems to be unique in the world."

The fish market's owners still do not know what to do with the strange creature, they are even contemplating preparing it in a great dish, to partake of its flavours, but however they that they will wait for a couple of days before any action is undertaken to see whether any other person or scientist is interested in the creature's adquisition, something we await with great interest, for a discovery such as this, of an unknown specimen. - (Note that the last phrase makes no sense in either spanish or english! please excuse me!)

------end-----

Mind that this article is 2-3 years old, and there are no corresponding links to whether the creature was indeed unique or otherwise. The original article's url is:-

http://www.ikerjimenez.com/pez%20canarias.htm

The photos of the fish are as following:-

Left Photo:- Normal(?) 70kg fish

Centre Photo:- Mystery Fish

Right Photo:- Mystery Fish

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Halo_Jones

• FreyKade

• Vox

That is a weird looking fish. It would be really intresting to find out if any scientists did get to look at the fish and what they thought it might be.

thanks Vox wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine, you hook a fish and pull up that beast! smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...