Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Free guns for high-crime Neighborhoods

Render

HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – A University of Houston graduate student says he’s conducting a study to hopefully answer the question being asked across the country, “Do more guns reduce crime or not?”

Kyle Coplen, who founded the Armed Citizens Project, is giving away 20-gauge single-shot shotguns to residents in mid- and high-crime neighborhoods to test whether or not the weapon will help reduce crime in the area, according to the group’s website. Coplen says the weapons are not of much value to criminals, but are especially useful for citizens looking to protect themselves from criminals.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/20/houston-group-giving-away-shotguns-high-crime-neighborhoods-to-test-if-crime-is-reduced/

]1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review[/b]).

Our review of the academic literature found that a broad array of evidence indicates that gun availability is a risk factor for homicide, both in the United States and across high-income countries. Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the US, where there are more guns, both men and women are at higher risk for homicide, particularly firearm homicide.

Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature. Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal. 2004; 9:417-40.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

So that should be interesting.

• Like 1

Crime is way down in the US. Guns are a big part of that.

• Like 5

The whole gun law argument is stupid.

It's the people who obtain guns illegally that are dangerous with them, they won't listen to gun laws and then when all the innocent people have their guns taken the criminals will have a field day. Ultimate looting for them.

The real link between the shootings that have happened is the pharmaceutical drugs they where on. Made me laugh how they tried to link the shooters by their rifles... A certain type of rifle doesn't make you go nuts. lol Pharmaceutical drugs on the other hand do.

• Like 5

It's the people who obtain guns illegally that are dangerous with them, they won't listen to gun laws and then when all the innocent people have their guns taken the criminals will have a field day. Ultimate looting for them.

How can you say that with all the accidental shootings happening? And all the youngsters that steal their parents weapons because they aren't safely locked away? Wasn't that the case with the Ohio shooting even? These are legally acquired guns.

Not being able to handle guns properly isn't a negligence exclusively reserved for the gangsters. Cmon....how short sighted is that.

How can you say that with all the accidental shootings happening? And all the youngsters that steal their parents weapons because they aren't safely locked away? Wasn't that the case with the Ohio shooting even? These are legally acquired guns.

Not being able to handle guns properly isn't a negligence exclusively reserved for the gangsters. Cmon....how short sighted is that.

Didn't mention Gangsters in my post....

As for the Ohio shooting, it's funny how he was on the exact same meds as the other guy.... I also tend not to listen to the lying media who have been proven to lie or leave out details on purpose.

• Like 2

If you really want to reduce crime levels give away handguns to law abiding,background checked,open carrying citizens in cities.Crime levels and criminals themselves will drop drastically! :tu:

• Like 3

background checks, theres too many ill people with dangerous weapons

• Like 3

Didn't mention Gangsters in my post....

As for the Ohio shooting, it's funny how he was on the exact same meds as the other guy.... I also tend not to listen to the lying media who have been proven to lie or leave out details on purpose.

So you just mentioned illegally acquired gun because this describes every average American accoring to you?

Rrright...you mean criminal related, i called it gangster ... tomatoe tomato

Why not just give every kid a 6 shooter on his/her 6th birthday?

They usually start with rifles.

So you just mentioned illegally acquired gun because this describes every average American accoring to you?

Rrright...you mean criminal related, i called it gangster ... tomatoe tomato

So you are saying an organized group of individuals is the same as a criminal. A gang usually is made up of criminals but it certainly is not the same thing at all. A criminal can be anyone who owns a gun illegally. If one person robs an old woman using a gun they are automatically in a gang? Don't think so.

I never mentioned the average American... Or implied the every average American owns a gun illegally... You seem to be putting words into my mouth and twisting everything I say, but the wirdest part is I don't even so how you can possibly come to these conclusions from what i said.

So you are saying an organized group of individuals is the same as a criminal. A gang usually is made up of criminals but it certainly is not the same thing at all. A criminal can be anyone who owns a gun illegally. If one person robs an old woman using a gun they are automatically in a gang? Don't think so.

I never mentioned the average American... Or implied the every average American owns a gun illegally... You seem to be putting words into my mouth and twisting everything I say, but the wirdest part is I don't even so how you can possibly come to these conclusions from what i said.

Can't believe i have to explain your own sentences to you.

Firstly, gangsters or criminals, this is a language issue...we get that we mean the same thing, criminals. That's why i wrote criminals also. Sheesh.

Second: You said

It's the people who obtain guns illegally that are dangerous with them

So according to you only bad things with guns happen if they are obtained illegally. I mentioned the many tragic events that occured with legally obtained guns, but according to you these events never even happened...because bad things only happen with illegally obtained guns. So im trying to explain to you that in you logic that means that all these legally obtained guns were actually illegally obtained, according to you. So that would make the average American, where many tragic events occured, are criminals for having illegally obtained guns.

Basically what im saying to you is that MANY tragic events have happened with legally obtained guns, so your whole logic is a fallacy.

If I lived there, I'd put up a sign saying I'm part of the test... whether true or not. It would be just as good as a Beware of Dog sign. Which is another good way of keeping people out of your house. People who have dogs are very rarely burglerized.

Why not just give every kid a 6 shooter on his/her 6th birthday?

We used to when I was a kid. It came on a toy gunbelt and with a cowboy hat :) But seriously, most kids WERE allowed to learn about guns. Touch, handle, shoot but ALL with supervision and a no nonsense understanding what the gun could do. It was kind of hard to think of the thing as a toy when you saw the dead animals after a hunt. I realize that not all children could have that experience but all young people COULD be taught the safe handling of a firearm just as easily as they can be taught math or how to drive a car. It's about having the desire to do it. Shooting sports are a wonderful activity for bonding with friends and learning to be responsible.

What the movies about the old west didn't show was that probably the only people killed with the guns were the drunks and criminals. The average person KNEW that EVERY ONE of his neighbors was armed and he'd better dang well respect them and their property.

• Like 3

Firstly, gangsters or criminals, this is a language issue...we get that we mean the same thing, criminals. That's why i wrote criminals also. Sheesh.

So according to you only bad things with guns happen if they are obtained illegally. I mentioned the many tragic events that occured with legally obtained guns, but according to you these events never even happened...because bad things only happen with illegally obtained guns. So im trying to explain to you that in you logic that means that all these legally obtained guns were actually illegally obtained, according to you. So that would make the average American, where many tragic events occured, are criminals for having illegally obtained guns.

Basically what im saying to you is that MANY tragic events have happened with legally obtained guns, so your whole logic is a fallacy.

OK my bad, misunderstood you, I apologize.

Also I see what you mean about that, OK I should have said the majority of crimes are caused by criminals with illegally obtained guns.

• Like 2

The tragic events you speak of are the exception. I don't think the exceptions should direct the laws on gun control. Similar to automobiles. Just because some people will drive drunk and kill people doesn't mean there should be a restriction for me.

• Like 2

We used to when I was a kid. It came on a toy gunbelt and with a cowboy hat :) But seriously, most kids WERE allowed to learn about guns. Touch, handle, shoot but ALL with supervision and a no nonsense understanding what the gun could do. It was kind of hard to think of the thing as a toy when you saw the dead animals after a hunt. I realize that not all children could have that experience but all young people COULD be taught the safe handling of a firearm just as easily as they can be taught math or how to drive a car. It's about having the desire to do it. Shooting sports are a wonderful activity for bonding with friends and learning to be responsible.

What the movies about the old west didn't show was that probably the only people killed with the guns were the drunks and criminals. The average person KNEW that EVERY ONE of his neighbors was armed and he'd better dang well respect them and their property.

Yep. I was shooting 22 at the litteral age of 5 years old. Just got my 7 year old his first 22. Of course he cant shoot it without my hands on the gun. I dont even let him hold the gun unloaded (accept when Im teaching him to clean it, and its disassembled) But by the time he's old enough to get a hunting license, he will be good enough to send out on his own. Same as my dad did for me.

• Like 2

The tragic events you speak of are the exception. I don't think the exceptions should direct the laws on gun control. Similar to automobiles. Just because some people will drive drunk and kill people doesn't mean there should be a restriction for me.

So because you aren't "planning to be in an accident" you think you shouldn't strap on your safety belt? This shouldn't be a norm, because of the "few" that get killed because of it? Rrrrright.

So you're not "planning to have a tragic acciddent' so there shouldn't be any rules about safely locking them away or heavy training to learn how to operate a gun. Okay, makes perfect sense....if you can predict the future.

And since you're not planning to ever drink and drive (rrrrriiight) there shouldn't be laws about police being able to alcohol checks.

Great fantasy world you got there.

OK my bad, misunderstood you, I apologize.

Also I see what you mean about that, OK I should have said the majority of crimes are caused by criminals with illegally obtained guns.

Is the majority though? And if it is, is there such a big difference with the accidental shootings? Or shootings where guns were obtained because the owners didn't safely lock them away? And more "legal" scenarios....

Also, you mentioned, as many do. That if their is stricter gun control that somehow only criminals end up with guns and basically every town will be plundered and every man woman and child will get killed.

Then...why doesn't this happen in every country where there are heavy gun restrictions or even gun bans? Apparantly, the opposite happens...when a burglary does happen it's more of a rare occurence someone actually gets shot and murdered. Rare is relative, because every death is one too many, of course. But there is no massive plungering or killing going on. So what's that all about?

Is the majority though? And if it is, is there such a big difference with the accidental shootings? Or shootings where guns were obtained because the owners didn't safely lock them away? And more "legal" scenarios....

Also, you mentioned, as many do. That if their is stricter gun control that somehow only criminals end up with guns and basically every town will be plundered and every man woman and child will get killed.

Then...why doesn't this happen in every country where there are heavy gun restrictions or even gun bans? Apparantly, the opposite happens...when a burglary does happen it's more of a rare occurence someone actually gets shot and murdered. Rare is relative, because every death is one too many, of course. But there is no massive plungering or killing going on. So what's that all about?

Chicago has the most restrictive handgun laws in the United states and the highest murder rate.

It's hard to compare the US to other countries as it's so large with more diverse groups that it's not logical to compare with other countries of smaller size. But when looked into, you should see the stabbing the UK has and the horrible crimes that wouldn't happen if we were allowed guns.

Shootings in the US come down to a lot more factors than simply being down to guns being legal.

I'd much rather decent people shot criminals as well, less of the tax payers money having to pay for over crowded prisons like in the UK.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

Chicago has the most restrictive handgun laws in the United states and the highest murder rate.

It's hard to compare the US to other countries as it's so large with more diverse groups that it's not logical to compare with other countries of smaller size. But when looked into, you should see the stabbing the UK has and the horrible crimes that wouldn't happen if we were allowed guns.

Shootings in the US come down to a lot more factors than simply being down to guns being legal.

I'd much rather decent people shot criminals as well, less of the tax payers money having to pay for over crowded prisons like in the UK.

It's so large with more diverse groups? Hello? Europe?

The argument that the US is larger than other countries doesn't seem to hold up when you compare by rate of 100 000 ppl. The US still trumps most.

So you're bassically saying that Americans are intrinsically more violent and awful that when stricter gun control rules would be imposed everyone would just die in a matter of months.

Because that scenario certainly doesn't happen in the rest of the world.

And to say that a myriad of horrible crimes wouldn't happen if only everyone had a gun is .. so not an argument. In that logic, everyone who already does crime and would use a knife or other means would then use a gun and just make everything 10 times worse. You can do more damage with a gun than a knife in a shorter period of time, there's no refuting that.

Just like you say if there are less guns there will be more knives .. the opposite can be said as well, if guns are allowed they'll replace all the other things and make everything way worse.

There was a case of a guy in Europe who killed and harmed babies with a knife not too long ago. He mentioned in court or to his lawyer that he was mad at the government that he couldn't get access to guns, because he actually wanted to do way more damage.

So that's better according to you? Just preposterous, truly mad.

Shootings come down to a lot of factors, exactly..so why don't you realise there is a psychological factor involved when a burglar knows he is entering a home where there is a 99% chance the owners are armed, that this burglar will be more inclined to use immediate violence and shoot?

When a burglar knows he is entering a home where the owners are most likely not armed there is less reason to escalate the factor and just do a burglary.

Common freaking sense.

Shootings come down to a lot of factors, exactly..so why don't you realise there is a psychological factor involved when a burglar knows he is entering a home where there is a 99% chance the owners are armed, that this burglar will be more inclined to use immediate violence and shoot?

When a burglar knows he is entering a home where the owners are most likely not armed there is less reason to escalate the factor and just do a burglary.

Common freaking sense.

So, let's blame the homeowner for the actions of a CRIMINAL. Are you for real?

• Like 4

So, let's blame the homeowner for the actions of a CRIMINAL. Are you for real?

You're trying to turn this into a personal thing whilst im talking about common psychological factors. Adrenaline pumps more when going into a high risk situation then when going into a situation where you are more inclined to think you will be able to overpower the situation.You're less inclined to use excessive force. Don't try to turn this into a blame game. Very simplistic reduction, that isn't even a redution, it's changing the subject into something you feel is easier to discuss.

Edited by Render