Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman 'dies' for 45 minutes

Saru

A woman whose heart stopped for a full 45 minutes stunned doctors by going on to make a full recovery.

A 63-year-old woman who was expected to die after her heart stopped for 45 minutes, is recovering well. Carol Brothers, from Easterton near Devizes, collapsed outside her home from a heart attack, last month.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

I guess the doctors was wrong about that lady. It wasn't her time to go yet.

I've seen resuscitations go on this long ,and the patient is revived biologically ,but they usually do not walk out of the hospital .

Patients that walk out of the hospital usually are revived quite quickly . Being dead a really long time ,adds to life morbidity ..

I vaguely remember one going on a long time ,and later going home,but they have a very quick relapse with another cardiac event ,that usually is fatal .

• Like 2

Maybe That's what they call meracle or something..

I bet starting CPR right away was a help. The Doctors wrote my sister-in off, but she came round after a bad stoke. Sometimes people beat the odds.

• Like 1

Wow! Fantastic Job by all the first responders . CPR kept her blood moving and helped her brain stay alive. What I'm curious about is why the docs wanted her in a medically induced coma... any docs out there to answer?

• Like 1

I wonder how much she remembers if anything, or if there was any sort of NDE experience associated with being dead so long.

• Like 2

Amazing. Hope she recovers well, though I suspect a full recovery may not happen.

Still, I agree with those who praised everyone who kept-up the efforts for such a long time.

• Like 1

Wow! Fantastic Job by all the first responders . CPR kept her blood moving and helped her brain stay alive. What I'm curious about is why the docs wanted her in a medically induced coma... any docs out there to answer?

I'm no doc but at a guess I would say to keep her relaxed and stable ? while they airlifted her to the hospital. It wouldn't have helped much if she'd started to panic, she might have had another heart attack.

She's a very lucky lady and how wonderful for her family too. Well done everyone involved.

• Like 3

Well done, but guess how many cases has been diagnosed as "dead" and put in a coffin when the person wasn't actually dead?

Just goes to show hey.Years back I collapsed and died for many hours.This story has brought it all back to me.

hmm. The photo took away a little of the heartwarm for me. They look like they live on a diet of fry-ups. :/

I wonder if there will be any brain damage. The brain starts to die without oxygen in about 6 minutes or so.

Not a lot of info, but forty five minutes is a long time on scene for a cardiac event. The paramedics would have followed some very well defined resuscitation protocols. And, their arrival must have been very fast as the chances for reviving someone with no heart activity is very slim and even v-fib resuscitation diminishes over a scant few minutes. But, I suppose one shouldn't over analyze or quibble with a miracle as is was for this individual.

Hi There,,Yes I do like it was yesterday.

I came home from work one day, poured my self a glass of wine,and went to go in the living room,as I did this I felt dizzy.(no i hadn't drank the wine..lol ) I must have gripped the glass tighter because I felt weak at that point and it cracked cutting my hand,I stroked my face, then the next thing I knew I was on the ceiling looking down at my body with my house mate crying and praying on the floor whilst the paramedics tried to revive me.My face was covered in blood, where I had stroked my face making it look as if I had cut my face.I could hear everything they where saying.They told my flat mate They where sorry and that I have been gone for hours.They covered me and took me away.I was told that I woke up 6 hours latter. and was kept in hospital for weeks.I have no memory of my stay in hospital at all.It's as if it was wiped out,just gone.But when I come home my memory came back but not the stay in the hospital or me waking up nothing.Have often thought of hypnoses,but haven't as yet.what stands out for me the most is the feeling I felt looking down out of my body.I was surrounded by a brilliant white light.I felt free and at one with my soul...My flatmate crying did not upset me.I just felt compassion and love.I wanted to stay in that light.when I told my flatmate what I saw and heard he could not believe it and got scad as to how I would know all the details. Poor thing.

Hi There,,Yes I do like it was yesterday.

I came home from work one day, poured my self a glass of wine,and went to go in the living room,as I did this I felt dizzy.(no i hadn't drank the wine..lol ) I must have gripped the glass tighter because I felt weak at that point and it cracked cutting my hand,I stroked my face, then the next thing I knew I was on the ceiling looking down at my body with my house mate crying and praying on the floor whilst the paramedics tried to revive me.My face was covered in blood, where I had stroked my face making it look as if I had cut my face.I could hear everything they where saying.They told my flat mate They where sorry and that I have been gone for hours.They covered me and took me away.I was told that I woke up 6 hours latter. and was kept in hospital for weeks.I have no memory of my stay in hospital at all.It's as if it was wiped out,just gone.But when I come home my memory came back but not the stay in the hospital or me waking up nothing.Have often thought of hypnoses,but haven't as yet.what stands out for me the most is the feeling I felt looking down out of my body.I was surrounded by a brilliant white light.I felt free and at one with my soul...My flatmate crying did not upset me.I just felt compassion and love.I wanted to stay in that light.when I told my flatmate what I saw and heard he could not believe it and got scad as to how I would know all the details. Poor thing.

My sister said she had a similar experience as yours when she was having a difficult birth with her son.

She was dead on the table for a while and was looking down at her body and the doctor and nurses.

She never mentioned anything of white lights.

• Like 1

That's interesting. I always like to hear about other people who have gone through the same or similar experience.You don't feel alone with it, if you know what I mean.Your sister would probably remember it like it was yesterday.I don't ever really talk about it,Glad your sister was OK.

Final Destination ?, She can't cheat Death. but I hope she evades it for a while.

Wait........ Clarification??? Put into an induced coma before being air lifted.????? I might not be up on my paramedic technology, but unless there is a medication that can do this on the spot or a mistake in wording in the article. This is a glaring fallacy.

• Like 1