Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This Day in History

Keel M.

20th.May

1191 - Richard I 'the Lion Heart' conquered Cyprus on his way to join the Crusaders in north west Israel.

1497 - The Italian explorer John Cabot, commissioned by England, set sail from Bristol in his ship Matthew looking for a route to the west.

1895 - The birth, in Kidsgrove, Staffordshire, of Reginald Joseph Mitchell, the designer of the Spitfire aircraft.

2012 - Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb died aged 62 after a lengthy battle with cancer.

• Like 2

22nd.May

1455 - First Battle of St.Albans (marks beginning of the 'Wars of the Roses')

1868 - the last batch of convicts to be sent to the Penal Colony of Australia lands in Freemantle, W.Australia.

1897 - the Blackwall Tunnel under the River Thames is opened by the Prince of Wales.

1939 - Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini sign the 'Pact of Steel'.

• Like 2

24th.May

1487 - The ten-year-old Lambert Simnel was crowned in Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin, with the name of Edward VI in a bid to threaten King Henry VII's reign.

1819 - Princess Alexandrina Victoria was born at Kensington Palace in London, the only daughter of the Duke of Kent and Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.

1941 - World War II: The German battleship Bismarck sank the Royal Navy's largest warship HMS Hood off Greenland with the loss of more than 1,400 lives.

1995 - The death of Harold Wilson, Labour politician and Prime MInister.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

IIRC there were only three survivors of the HMS Hood... The Bismark took a much heavier and more sustained pounding before it sank but actually had more suvivors - owing to the "lucky hit" on the Hood's powder magazine...

I really like these posts eald... keep it up!..

• Like 2

I really like these posts eald... keep it up!..

Thank you Taun. Tickets will shortly be available in Mrs.Pumblechook's Tea Rooms in the High Street.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

Thank you Taun. Tickets will shortly be available in Mrs.Pumblechook's Tea Rooms in the High Street.

Does she still offer that nice Darjeeling tea served with a fresh egg-salad on pumpernickel sandwich?... If so I'll be there!

• Like 2

22nd.May

1455 - First Battle of St.Albans (marks beginning of the 'Wars of the Roses')

1868 - the last batch of convicts to be sent to the Penal Colony of Australia lands in Freemantle, W.Australia.

1897 - the Blackwall Tunnel under the River Thames is opened by the Prince of Wales.

1939 - Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini sign the 'Pact of Steel'.

Should we not still be sending convicts to Botany Bay ? oh sorry its more comfortable in jail here.

Does she still offer that nice Darjeeling tea served with a fresh egg-salad on pumpernickel sandwich?... If so I'll be there!

You must try her Earl Grey tea and salmon and cucumber sandwiches. (Cut into triangles of course).

92887714-99a6-4b5b-97eb-561035ab10ad_zps2d8c1c9f.jpg

Afternoon tea at the Ealdwitas'

• Like 1

Should we not still be sending convicts to Botany Bay ? oh sorry its more comfortable in jail here.

These days, the whole bloody world send their criminals here, or so it seems!

• Like 2

You must try her Earl Grey tea and salmon and cucumber sandwiches. (Cut into triangles of course).

And the Butlers name was ?? er... begins with E ??
  • Like 1

A Few More:

24 May 1883 - The Brooklyn Bridge is opened for public use... (The most 'sold' bridge in history)

24 may 1884 - Samuel Morse sends first telegraph message ("What hath God wrought") (.-- .... .- - / .... .- - .... / --. --- -.. / .-- .-. --- ..- --. .... -)

24 May 1830 - "Mary Had a Little Lamb" written

24 May 1626 - Peter Minuet buys the island of Manhatten from the natives for the equivalent of $24 (I still think the Indians got the better of that deal)

Do I get to wear a silly hat too?...

• Like 1

As you can see I've got a fancy new hat and nice formal clothes for the occasion... I'm a regular man about town!

redneck-man.jpg

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

You remind me of my mother when she was in the Land Army during the war!

• Like 1

You remind me of my mother when she was in the Land Army during the war!

It's the beard right? :whistle:

• Like 1

It's the beard right? :whistle:

Regulation perfect!

• Like 2

A Few More:

24 May 1883 - The Brooklyn Bridge is opened for public use... (The most 'sold' bridge in history)

24 may 1884 - Samuel Morse sends first telegraph message ("What hath God wrought") (.-- .... .- - / .... .- - .... / --. --- -.. / .-- .-. --- ..- --. .... -)

24 May 1830 - "Mary Had a Little Lamb" written

24 May 1626 - Peter Minuet buys the island of Manhatten from the natives for the equivalent of $24 (I still think the Indians got the better of that deal)

Do I get to wear a silly hat too?...

I screwed up on the Morse Telegraph date... 1844 NOT 1884.... oops... :blush:

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

25th.May

1659 - Lord protector Richard Cromwell, son of Oliver, resigned his position - leading to the restoration of the monarchy and the crowning of Charles II in 1660.

1871 - The House of Commons passed the Bank Holiday Act, creating public holidays on Easter Monday, Whit Monday and Christmas Day.

1934 - The death of Gustav Holst, the English composer most famous for his orchestral suite The Planets.

1985 - A cyclone hit the Meghna River delta in Bangladesh. More than 10,000 were killed.

• Like 2

29th April

• 1945 - Adolf Hitler marries Eva Braun

Worst. Honeymoon. Ever.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 3

Worst. Honeymoon. Ever.

Almost as bad at spending it at Butlin's, Skegness!

.......................................................................................................................................................

26th.May

604 - St Augustine, the first archbishop of Canterbury died.

1798 - Income Tax was introduced into Britain - a 10% tax on all incomes over £200 a year. (As a temporary measure! Oh ha-har!)

1904 - The birth, in Wigan, of George Formby, English singer and comedian. ("Turned out nice again, e'nt it?")

1940 - The evacuation of Allied forces from Dunkirk began.

• Like 2

27th.May

1657 - Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell refused parliament's offer of the title King of England.

1679 - Britain passed the Habeas Corpus Act which made it illegal to hold anyone in prison without a trial.

1915 - The Battle of Festubert ended. The Allies took the village and held it until the final German spring offensive in 1918.

1941 - The German battleship Bismarck was sunk by British naval and air forces. 2,300 people were killed.

• Like 2

28th.May

1503 - James IV of Scotland and Margaret Tudor were married by Pope Alexander VI. A 'Treaty of Everlasting Peace' between Scotland and England was signed on that occasion. The everlasting peace lasted just ten years.

1849 - The death, at the age of 28, of Anne Brontë, English novelist, poet and author.

1945 - World War II: the English broadcaster of Nazi propaganda, William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw) was captured near Hamburg.

1982 - Falklands War: British troops re-captured Port Darwin and Goose Green, taking almost 1500 Argentine prisoners.

• Like 2

A few more for today:

28 May 1928: The first full color "talkie", movie debuted "On With the Show!"

28 May 1533: The Archbishop of Canterbury , Thomas Cranmer, declared the marriage of King Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn valid.

28 May 585 BC: A solar eclipse occurs, as predicted by Greek philosopher and scientist Thales, while Alyattes is battling Cyaxares in the Battle of the Eclipse, leading to a truce. This is one of the cardinal dates from which other dates can be calculated.

28 May 1588: The Spanish Aramada under Admiral Medina-Sidonia departs Lisbon to invade England.

28 May 1843: Noah Webster (Creator of "Webster's Dictionary") dies at age 84

28 May 1971: Audie Murphy (Soldier/Actor) dies at age 46

28 May 1947: Dr. Klaus Karl Shilling age 74 (head Doctor at Dachau Concentration Camp) is executed

• Like 2

29th.May

1630 - Charles II, king of England, was born. Then, 30 years to the day..........

1660 - Charles II marched into London and was restored to the throne, 11 years after the execution of his father Charles I.

1798 - The United Irishmen Rebellion against British Rule took place. Between 300 and 500 United Irishmen were massacred by the British Army in County Kildare, Ireland.

1914 - The ocean liner RMS Empress of Ireland, en route from Liverpool to Quebec, sank in the Gulf of St. Lawrence following a collision with a Norwegian collier. 1,012 lives were lost - (840 passengers, 172 crew). It remains the worst disaster in Canadian maritime history.

1985 - 39 football fans were killed and at least another 400 injured when a wall collapsed during crowd violence at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, only minutes before the start of the European Cup Final between Liverpool and Juventus.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

1953 - Sir Edmund Hillary and Tensing Norkay become the first to reach the summit of Mt. Everest

1942 - Bing Crosby records "White Christmas," greatest selling record to date

1912 - 15 young women fired by Curtis Publishing for dancing "Turkey Trot" during their lunch break (I'd fire them too.. Have you ever seen anyone dance the Turkey trot?)

1900 - Trademark "Escalator" registered by Otis Elevator Co

1849 - Patent for lifting vessels granted to Abraham Lincoln

(later that same day...)

1849 - Lincoln says "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

1765 - Patrick Henry historic speech against the Stamp Act, answering a cry of "Treason!" with, "If this be treason, make the most of it!"

1453 - Constantinople falls to Muhammad II (Turks); ends Byzantine Empire

(in honor of which...)

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Taun
  • Like 2