Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Why should I go to work

Commander CMG

Thinking about it I think as a society gets richer it just has to accept as a given that some people will live off society and there is perhaps no justice there but that is the way it is going to be. Over time as low-skill low-education jobs become more and more automated, there is going to be a larger and larger proportion of the population living on welfare.

• Like 1

If she wanted to work, why doesn't she get off her ass and do some charity work,which would benefit poorer people.

Edited by spud the mackem
  • Like 1

Thinking about it I think as a society gets richer it just has to accept as a given that some people will live off society and there is perhaps no justice there but that is the way it is going to be. Over time as low-skill low-education jobs become more and more automated, there is going to be a larger and larger proportion of the population living on welfare.

I can see what you are saying frank and i agree in a way,but all this means to me is birth control is much needed and/or the gov needs to learn to make money for itself instead of taking my tax dollars to give to human sperm banks!Or as spud said no matter how automated we get humans can still get off their asses and do something!

I wonder if she is an actress like the last benefit women of TV, the one from Eastern Europe?

• Like 1

It is not unreasonable to think housing benefits would cut a check for a grand per month when that is the average housing cost... this is low for my area. I do know ppl receiving $1400 housing benefit.. I used to get $800 benefit for myself but I willfully cut it off because it really is a trap. They target low income people, yes it is very helpful when the need is great.. lets face the fact that starvation and homlessness also exist in great numbers. Government houseing should be used as a stepping stone along with other services. In some areas housing costs are very high and the average person cannot afford to raise a family, even while working more than one job. We also live in a day and age we should be spending more time with our families if we have the aim of raising them in healthy relationship. Constantly chasing after a paycheck with no money for daycare puts kids at risk. Sometimes goverment options, if they are available are the best choice a mother can make... There should be the availabilty within a system that allows people to graduate to self sufficiency. We life in a world designed to seperate poor from rich and the government numbers and qualifiers are set up to promote this in some ways. A lot of work needs to be done to the structures, including independant breaking away from systems, this can me hard, but much easier than changing the goverment.

If you think a grand is 'average' housing cost, then you might want to come join us in the real world :D Though I do see that you are typing in dollars, so you may be forgiven, considering that it is an entirely different system in an entirely different country that we seem to be talking about.

(The average house price in England has recently been quoted as "Avg. Price £162,606" - http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/house-prices-and-sales - which is a 30 year mortgage of probably around £400-500 per month, if not slightly less. But we must also remember that this statistic does not take into account the vast majority of houses that end up receiving housing benefit - council houses and private rent accommodation - which are more often than not, about 1/2 - 3/4 of that price., with the rent often being between £200-£400, for the most part).

In Scotland the maximum housing benefit is now £230-£240 a month for those under 35 or 36 years old, with those above that age getting maybe £100 a month more, tops. This basically means that the government will not pay your mortgage or even your rent, but it will pay a predetermined amount towards your rent. This is in Scotland, but I don't see things being too different Down South.

A grand and a half is an incredible amount of money for housing benefit. I have never known the government to save people who cannot afford a mortgage. After all, if this is what the government does for its citizens, then why are there people constantly losing their houses?

In my opinion, this is actually a clear sign of a modern, successful, and enlightened country.

A grand and a half is an incredible amount of money for housing benefit. I have never known the government to save people who cannot afford a mortgage. After all, if this is what the government does for its citizens, then why are there people constantly losing their houses?

Yeah we are talking about two different systems and average housing costs. For us these resources are limited and granted to some people, normally not people who have mortgages, but low income families who are either displaced or at risk of it. Receiving this benefit allows them to rent from qualified home owners who are willing to participate in the program, which isnt a bad idea for them because they do receive their rent on time. This is not offered to everyone or available in immediate times of need thats why people are still losing their homes. But once you get on it, its pretty easy to stay on it indefinately as long as you play the numbers right. Living like this has a long term psychological effect on the family in my opinion.

I'm wondering why she's getting anything for the 19yr old and the 18yr old? Surely they would be considered in their own right? If they are not working then they would qualify for money to live off, rent allowance, Council Tax allowance etc etc ........ perhaps she's including all that?

Says she and the husband are accountants. I guarantee that they know every trick in the book to squeeze every last penny out of the government. As for the fella only paying 13quid a week or whatever. I'm sure they have an unofficial agreement between them where she gets plenty of brass off him. He's probaby hid his money away. These accountants are very creative when they waant to be.