Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oklahoma earthquake linked to oil extraction

Render

Scientists have linked the underground injection of oil-drilling wastewater to a magnitude-5.7 earthquake in 2011 that struck the US state of Oklahoma.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21952428

Potentially induced earthquakes in Oklahoma, USA: Links between wastewater injection and the 2011 Mw 5.7 earthquake

http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/early/2013/03/26/G34045.1.abstract?cited-by=yes&legid=geology;G34045.1v1

• Like 1

Really doesn't surprise me. I hope they stay away from the New Madrid fault line. Don't need a repeat of what happened in 1811 and 1812.

• Like 1

I've heard they suspect the same thing happened in Arkansas not to long ago. Now they are going to start the fracking in California in a place with multiple known faults.

I've heard they suspect the same thing happened in Arkansas not to long ago. Now they are going to start the fracking in California in a place with multiple known faults.

Just to set the record straight: the 5.6 earthquake in Oklahoma was caused by injection of salt water, not by fracking.

There's a simple little trick for oil companies to use to avoid this: if you inject something into a well and you get small earth tremors, STOP INJECTING. Don't use that well for injecting! There are wells that have been used for decades without a problem, use one of them. Or test out a new one, but don't use wells that are known to produce tremors.

I live close enough that I felt the 5.6 tremor. Cracked the plaster in my house and rattled a bulletin board off the wall in my office. Fortunately, I was far enough away that nothing worse happened. I suspect the lawyers are looking at that report right now. There could be some lawsuits over this.

Doug

• Like 1

Good article.

I think Mother Jones covered this finding in their last snail mail issue.

We are foolish to continue fracking. I wonder if the damage already done can ever be undone?