Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO Memo Is FBI's 'Most Wanted' Record

Still Waters

The FBI says its most viewed public record is a memo from 1950 recounting a strange story someone told an agent about three "flying saucers" that were allegedly recovered in New Mexico.

The so-called Hottel memo was first released in the late 1970s under the Freedom of Information Act, but it's been viewed nearly a million times since 2011, when the FBI launched an online database of public records called the Vault.

http://www.livescien...l-memo-fbi.html

I thought the Aztec story was interesting even if it was a hoax but not really sure of that. This video is almost an hour long.

• Like 1

Confirming that would be very interesting.

Perhaps it should be regarded as one of the better scams as the con man, Newton, was arrested in 1952 and convicted of fraud. But, that people so want to believe in the unbelievable alien crash is what makes this so noteworthy.

• Like 1

Regardless, if we are the only intelligent species in the whole universe, that would be a great waste of materials or an incredible accident.

really guys that is lies,lies and lies and more lies.it has never been investigated or it does not proof of the aliens existence that is so like the FBI and government agencies.many people know the truth already.i always tell the people that proof and the official disclosure of aliens will come in many other forms not by the government.it's only a matter of time.but its not in their best interest to say that its real for so many reasons and truths.finally this does proof aliens exist come on people.what more do you want there is so many proof and evidence in many forms and shapes

please people know this and remember this many other governments,UFO agencies and etc have already have proof,evidence and facts and witnesses and credible witnesses for those skeptics and non believers.what more do you want???official disclosure form the U.S.A government will not happen why the u.s.a government is power hungry,it thrives on secrecy,manipulation and control in many ways and methods so they will not i repeat will not admit it that aliens exist its not in their best interest at all especially when they made a deal with the greys they have a pact and deal.they will do whatever is necessary to maintain secrecy and power and control and etc.

Edited by Andromedan Starseed 333

these are the aliens known as the greys look into them and it fits the descriptions perfectly.

Is this about Roswell. Or ufos in general.the frist report by the army to the newspaper read flying disc recovered .then the next day they said it was a weather balloon..

Chuck Wade born in Corona New Mexico in 1939 his dad Jesse Wade owned "Wades Bar" where Mac Brazel stopped on way to Roswell to tell about debris found on the Foster ranch candidly discusses three UFO crashes in New Mexico on July 4,1947....

i always tell the people..

Really? And do they always accept your argument? I don't.

..that proof and the official disclosure of aliens will come in many other forms not by the government.

For instance? Hazy claims, unverified anecdotes, 15-minutes-of-famers, distant tiny lights on cell phone video..?

Or what?

it's only a matter of time.

Until what? And how long have you been saying that?

finally this does proof aliens exist come on people.

No, not if 'coming on' means accepting the slimmest of claims based around no actual hard evidence whatsoever. And do you understand what the term 'proof' actually means? No, it's not "I believe!!"

what more do you want

Well, I believe cats and dogs exist. I can pick one up right now, video it, show it to you. Now, I don't believe in unicorns, because.. you can't pick one up or show it to me. Agreed? So, pick up an alien or piece of UFO and show it to me.

Why does that basic principle - the one that is ok for cats and dogs - have to change for aliens? In my not very humble opinion, it doesn't change at all. If it does, then my theory about invisible pink unicorns in pumpkin-based dimension-traveling chariots is equally viable.

there is so many proof and evidence in many forms and shapes

OK, let's assume you are correct. Then please show us, right now, your very best evidence. If there is so much, it shouldn't be difficult to pick out something completely convincing, so give it your best shot. And then we'll compare it to the cat and dog example...

If not, then I'd make the simple observation - the UFO/alien thing has only one thing going for it over my pink unicorn dimension travelers - it is more popularly portrayed in the media. It's pretty much that simple.

But just wait till I sell my pitch to Steve Spielberg...

• Like 1

this does proof aliens exist come on people.

You forgot to write and after exist.

I believe Crash retrieval of alien craft is real. Some cases might not be legit though but the 4602d, Blue Room all real.

skeptics will only believe in UFOs if one or many landed in their backyards!!!no amount of proof,evidence or witnesses and etc will Change a skeptics mind so its futile in the sense That its wasting one's own time. so I tell others spend your time researching and looking for more evidence and etc instead of wasting your time with skeptics when they are ready to Listen and accept it let them come to us.believe I know I have a brother That Is Like that he is so ignorant and skeptical

skeptics will only believe in UFOs if one or many landed in their backyards!!!no amount of proof,evidence or witnesses and etc will Change a skeptics mind so its futile in the sense That its wasting one's own time. so I tell others spend your time researching and looking for more evidence and etc instead of wasting your time with skeptics when they are ready to Listen and accept it let them come to us.believe I know I have a brother That Is Like that he is so ignorant and skeptical

There is no doubt UFOs exist in the sense that people genuinely see things in the sky that they cannot identify. But the real question is: what do these things turn out to be on investigation? Not all reported UFOs can be extraterrestrial spacecraft, and no one pretends they are. Even UFO believers agree that at least nine reports out of every ten are readily explicable in known terms. The main culprits are bright stars and planets, aircraft, meteors, and satellites – although a complete list of misidentifications would be almost endless.

UFO proponents often point to the residue of unexplained cases as proof that there must be something to UFOs after all, but thats not so. An unsolved case is not evidence for any theory. If even the most credible and honest witnesses turn out to be demonstrably wrong nine times out of ten it is not unreasonable to suppose that all cases would be soluble if we had sufficient information.

A cornerstone of the UFO believers case is that UFOs are reported by trained observers such as pilots and policemen whose eye-witness testimony would readily be accepted in a court of law. However, experience shows that they make the same mistakes as everyone else. It is a favourite cry of UFOlogists that there is some great government conspiracy to prevent them, and us, from getting at the truth about UFOs. As more government files relating to UFOs are released in response to public pressure, the less convincing these claims become.

So,... After more than half a century of world-wide investigation by those who have dedicated themselves to proving the reality of UFOs, there are still no Identified Alien Spaceships,... and if searches for alien spacecraft and extraterrestrial radio signals both fail, there is an even more exciting conclusion to be drawn.

The truth about UFOs COULD be quite simple,... it is rooted in human misperception, human self-delusion, and the quite natural human tendency to delude others. In other words, UFOs are a terrestrial phenomenon, not an extraterrestrial one. By studying UFOs we learn not about extraterrestrial life or interstellar travel but about human nature.

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

A cornerstone of the UFO believers case is that UFOs are reported by trained observers such as pilots and policemen whose eye-witness testimony would readily be accepted in a court of law. However, experience shows that they make the same mistakes as everyone else. It is a favourite cry of UFOlogists that there is some great government conspiracy to prevent them, and us, from getting at the truth about UFOs. As more government files relating to UFOs are released in response to public pressure, the less convincing these claims become.

Well, surely no one believes that Governments (talking primarily about the U.S., of course, but all them equally) reveal the complete truth about the UFO reports they receive, or what they do with them, do they? I'm sure you don't really believe them when they say that "we have no procedures for dealing with UFO reports, since we are satisfied that they pose no threat to National security", and all that guff? No one really beleives that Nick Pope was the sole person in the ministry of Defence responsible for handling UFO reports, and that when they closed his "X Files Desk", they didn't do anything about them any more, do they? "Dick" Cheney has more or less said that the U.S. Govt. does regard UFO reports as classified information, and doesn't just ignore them. So would anyone really take seriously any of the Government files relating to UFOs that are released?

Well, surely no one believes that Governments (talking primarily about the U.S., of course, but all them equally) reveal the complete truth about the UFO reports they receive, or what they do with them, do they? I'm sure you don't really believe them when they say that "we have no procedures for dealing with UFO reports, since we are satisfied that they pose no threat to National security", and all that guff? No one really beleives that Nick Pope was the sole person in the ministry of Defence responsible for handling UFO reports, and that when they closed his "X Files Desk", they didn't do anything about them any more, do they? "Dick" Cheney has more or less said that the U.S. Govt. does regard UFO reports as classified information, and doesn't just ignore them. So would anyone really take seriously any of the Government files relating to UFOs that are released?

Government cover-up in this matter seems extremely unlikely. That would mean that all governments of the world has effectively hidden away every and all piece of alien artifacts, alien signals, and the aliens themselves for hundreds of years.

We see time after time how governments are not even close to that effective in keeping secrets.

Not all reported UFOs can be extraterrestrial spacecraft, and no one pretends they are.

if 'not ALL', then some of them are?

Even UFO believers agree that at least nine reports out of every ten are readily explicable in known terms.

i don't get it, what does it mean to be 'ufo believer'?

It is a favourite cry of UFOlogists that there is some great government conspiracy to prevent them, and us, from getting at the truth about UFOs.

it's a fact not a conspiracy that the government suppresses the release of info relating to ufos

In other words, UFOs are a terrestrial phenomenon, not an extraterrestrial one.

ufos are unidentified flying objects

Government cover-up in this matter seems extremely unlikely. That would mean that all governments of the world has effectively hidden away every and all piece of alien artifacts, alien signals, and the aliens themselves for hundreds of years.

We see time after time how governments are not even close to that effective in keeping secrets.

no, not some great conspiracy extending to all the Govts. of the world to Cover up the Truth about UFOs, but just that they've always been selective about what they've released. Surely any Government would do that, for any Government to willingly release all its classified information to the Public would be a very silly thing to do, wouldn't it. They don't need to conspire together to do that, it'd just be the natural and perfectly sensible thing to do.

According to Ben Radford:

". The memo is not secret, nor is it new, nor does it refer to anything that happened in Roswell."

..." In fact this memo does not refer to Roswell, but instead to a reported UFO crash in another small New Mexico town called Aztec in March 1948. David E. Thomas, a physicist and researcher with the group New Mexicans for Science and Reason, discovered that the informant mentioned in the memo was almost certainly a con man named Silas Newton, who fabricated a UFO crash hoax, complete with stories of circular flying saucers carrying 3-foot tall aliens. He tried to convince investors that he had access to crashed alien technology that would make them all rich. It turned out to be a scam, and Newton was arrested in 1952 and convicted of fraud."

"It's also suspicious that the "smoking gun" document is just an ordinary office memo. It's not classified Top Secret, or even Secret; in fact it's not classified at all. This supposed proof of crashed saucers is mentioned in an ordinary memo, with no more secrecy or concern than a request for more office staplers."

http://www.livescience.com/13653-ufo-alien-roswell-fbi-memo.html

According to Ben Radford:

". The memo is not secret, nor is it new, nor does it refer to anything that happened in Roswell."

..." In fact this memo does not refer to Roswell, but instead to a reported UFO crash in another small New Mexico town called Aztec in March 1948. David E. Thomas, a physicist and researcher with the group New Mexicans for Science and Reason, discovered that the informant mentioned in the memo was almost certainly a con man named Silas Newton, who fabricated a UFO crash hoax, complete with stories of circular flying saucers carrying 3-foot tall aliens. He tried to convince investors that he had access to crashed alien technology that would make them all rich. It turned out to be a scam, and Newton was arrested in 1952 and convicted of fraud."

"It's also suspicious that the "smoking gun" document is just an ordinary office memo. It's not classified Top Secret, or even Secret; in fact it's not classified at all. This supposed proof of crashed saucers is mentioned in an ordinary memo, with no more secrecy or concern than a request for more office staplers."

http://www.livescien...l-fbi-memo.html

So instead of three crashes as the memo indicates it is really about only one crash (Aztec) and then David E. Thomas assumes that a known con-man Silas Newton fabricated the UFO story according to Ben Radford. Question? Why would the F.B.I risk posting such a memo to J Edgar Hoover when the person making such a claim is a known con-man? I believe the memo should be taken at face value instead of trying to read something into it. Edited by meteorlima