Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man, 20, Buried Alive As 'Cure'

Still Waters

The saying lightning never strikes the same place twice apparently does not apply in Alexander Mandón's case.

The 20-year-old Colombian has been struck by lightning four times since September. So to "cure" his electrical attraction, a local indigenous doctor recommended that Mandón be buried alive in an upright position, Spanish-language publication "Noticias Uno" reports.

Burying Mandón allows the surrounding dirt to absorb any inappropriate electrical charges in his body, according to the indigenous healer.

http://www.huffingto...html?ref=topbar

• Like 2

Wow struck 4 times and still alive. Why not just get a wire and wrap it around him and drive a metel stake in the ground to ground him. Wonder if he glows at night LOL

• Like 2

Talk about unlucky. Wouldn't want to stand too close to him in a storm.

• Like 3

Unlucky to have been struck 4 times, extremely luck to have survived 4 times. lol

• Like 1

That is freaky. Probably a latent super power. 2 more strikes and he'll be as fast as lightning.

Forget solar panels, just stick this guy on the roof.

• Like 2

After being stuck by lightning 4 times, this guy should be able to win the 100 million lottery with ease.

• Like 1

I think these articles that defy probabilistic odds are amongst the most interesting simply because there is no rational explanation. I recall a US Park Ranger who was struck at least seven times, also seemingly defies probability. An explanation ... when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth ...

I think these articles that defy probabilistic odds are amongst the most interesting simply because there is no rational explanation. I recall a US Park Ranger who was struck at least seven times, also seemingly defies probability. An explanation ... when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth ...

Very well put and that's exactly a discussion I remember having while studying in the sciences with classmates. To be struck seven times is an extraodinary improbabilitity.

Roy C. Sullivan was a U.S. forest ranger in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia and it seemed that having an electric personality prerequisite for his job.

Lightning strike #1 came in 1942 happened as he was working up in a lookout tower and the lighting bolt shot through his leg and knocked his big toenail off.

Lightning strike #2 came in 1969 while he was driving along a mountain road a second strike burned off his eyebrows and knocked him unconscious.

Lightning strike #3 came in 1970 while he was walking across his yard to get the mail, left his shoulder seared.

Lightning strike #4 came in 1972 when lightning set his hair on fire and Roy had to throw a bucket of water over his head to cool off.

Lightning strike #5 came on August 7, 1973 while he was in his car, just one Year after his hair had grown back, a lightning bolt ripped through his hat and hit him on the head, setting his hair on fire again. It threw him out of his truck, knocked his left shoe off and seared his legs.

Lightning strike #6 came on June 5, 1976 while he was checking on a campsite, injuring his ankle.

Lightning strike #7 came on June 25, 1977 while he was fishing. It sent him to hospital with chest and stomach burns.

http://www.incredipedia.info/2010/08/human-lightning-rod-roy-c-sullivan.html

Odds = 1 : 280,000 of being struck by lightning

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/probability.html

Why couldn't he just stand in the sea to drain off any extraneous electrical charges? It's a better conductor than damp soil and safer. It doesn't say how tall he is or where he was standing when he was struck each time. If he's 7 feet tal, wears rubber soled shoes and stands in open areas during a storm, no great mystery.

Shame. :( Such a nice, well grounded man too. Hope some bright-spark can help him soon.

(Would be cool if his name was Rod)

Edited by Eldorado

And putting him into the ground up to neck is going to "cure" this.?

Blah.

Rather, he needs to see a doctor to determine if he has an extreme sweat condition.

After being stuck by lightning 4 times, this guy should be able to win the 100 million lottery with ease.

Just what I was thinking...

Bad logic actually. Claims have to fit the evidence, if the last claim standing still does not meet the evidence, you go back to the board and try again.

Yes, getting hit by lightning is rare on average. However, when you're dealing with 7 billion people and a constant news feed, rare events become much more common.

I can understand his situation & why the local people did what was necessary. After being electrically charged & why he was constantly the barb of electrical jokes.They figured that you have to be earthed & the only way that you can eliminate the constant positive charge that he attracts is to earth him.LMAO. Yes! I understand.!They want to create an earthing of his so called 'charge'.Good luck guys! I am sorry to say that they might just be on to something!

Edited by GirlfromOz

A man named Edwin Robinson from Falmouth, Maine, was struck by lightning and not only was cured from blindness and deafness, he grew hair after being completely bald. I would call that pretty much a miracle, so not all lightning strikes are bad things. http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/06/26/lightning_strikes/

Bob Gustavson: I'm Bob Gustavson, the pastor at Emmaus Lutheran Church in Falmouth, Maine, and Edwin Robinson was a parishioner there when I first came in 1994. Ed was a remarkable story of someone who had had an accident in his truck and lost his sight and most of his hearing and suddenly had it restored.

Robinson: He had adopted a chicken that somehow had found his way to him, and he had named the chicken Tuck-Tuck because, well, as best as he could make out, that's the sound that a chicken makes: tuck, tuck, tuck... And that's why he was out there. He was walking around the garage calling Tuck-Tuck. And the bird was inside the garage looking out at him, trying to figure out why he was out there, just standing in the rain, during a severe thunderstorm.

Gustavson: I guess it was thundering and lightning and raining and Ed was crawling around out in the backyard looking for Tuck-Tuck on his hands and knees. He finally found the bird and was struck by lightning.

Robinson: The lightning bounced off the tree and went directly into his hearing aids, and blew the hearing aids right out of his ears. The connecting wire was burned completely off. And after my dad had been hit by lightning, he lay on the ground for several minutes and he finally got up and went back in the house. My mom came over to him because he looked, you know, dazed, and he said, "I think I've been hit by lightning." And she kind of said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah," and he said, "No, really, I can read that plaque on the wall."

Gustavson: He began reading a plaque of some sort that was up on the wall. It said something like, "God can't be everywhere, that's why he created grandparents." His wife thought maybe he had just memorized it, but it turns out he was actually reading it.

Robinson: So she said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah," and "You already know what it says, so that doesn't mean a thing. How about looking at the clock over there on the wall and telling me what time it is?" And he looked at the clock and said, "It's six minutes after five." He got his sight back to 20/20. He got his hearing back. All of his life he had been completely bald and several weeks later there was hair that started to grow on his head.

Gustavson: Not only was his eyesight restored and his hearing restored, but he started to grow hair again. It's hard not to say that it's not miraculous.

Robinson: I think if you talk to anybody else that was around when this incident happened, they would say that it was actually a miracle. I guess you could say there is a bit of luck in there, yes. Otherwise, he literally should have been killed by the lightning, yes.

• Like 1

A man named Edwin Robinson from Falmouth, Maine, was struck by lightning and not only was cured from blindness and deafness, he grew hair after being completely bald. I would call that pretty much a miracle, so not all lightning strikes are bad things. http://weekendameric...htning_strikes/

He would also turn into a werewolf though whenever it rained on a moonlit night.

(according to my sources).

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1