Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Understanding sleep paralysis

stillvoice

Having suffered from sleep paralysis at intervals in the past and the typical hypnopompic auditory hallucinations which accompany it (e.g. intruder in the room) I would like to gain a greater understanding of the phenomenon. During my previous instances of sleep paralysis upon wakefulness and entering the state known as 'isolated sleep paralysis' (a short instance of Sleep Paralysis) my first compulsion is to always break out of it as quickly as possible due to the uncomfortable nature of the condition which I can only describe as feeling as if I'm sinking beneath a heavy weight and also the disquieting impression that their is presence near me which on one occasion led to a slight auditory and visual hypnopompic hallucination.

Having only experienced the shorter form of Sleep Paralysis known as 'isolated sleep paralysis' which is typically associated with the feeling of a presence near by I have been reluctant to continue the experience out of trepidation that I will be completely overwhelmed by the experience.

However I have often wondered what would happen if I stayed in sleep paralysis for a prolonged period of time without trying to break out of it which is what I am wont to do would I experience an episode of 'recurrent isolated sleep paralysis' which is classed as a longer form of sleep paralysis and is associated with the reported 'out of body experiences'?

Edited by stillvoice

Rather than talking to folks on paranormal internet forums, I'd suggest making an appointment at your nearest Sleep Center and talk with the doctors there. If it's a recurring problem, they'll probably suggest having a sleep study done and then offer you some solutions for better, more restful sleep.

• Like 1

Rather than talking to folks on paranormal internet forums, I'd suggest making an appointment at your nearest Sleep Center and talk with the doctors there.

I wasn't aware that a 'Sleep Centre''? would be qualified to offer advice on the connection between sleep paralysis and the phenomena called astral projection which is what I am enquiring.

Edited by stillvoice

I wasn't aware that a 'Sleep Centre''? would be qualified to offer advice on the connection between sleep paralysis and the phenomena called astral projection which is what I am enquiring.

There could be several medical issues that can make you more prone to sp. everything from low iron obsorbtion to sleap apnea to narcolepsy. other times people are just naturally prone to it and sleep studies reveal nothing. People with cronic issues that doctors can do nothing about, the best approach is an altered state practice where you learn to take control. It seems you are already on that path.

Now the stage of conciousness to project from hovers right around when sp kicks in, my guess is just below it on a continuum of conciousness.

I made a cheesy video with my splice app awhile ago. It might help. Yea yea I misspelled a few things.... A bad habit I'm afraid ;) Or you can pm me anytime.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply and the information you provide Seeker79 and I am also reading through your 'astral projection' tutorial with great interest.

The video you made is very elucidating about the process of sleep paralysis and upon experiencing sleep paralysis in the past my first instinct was to always break out of it as quickly as possible because of trepidation that the impression of a malevolent presence close by will overwhelm me entirely and I will be lost.

Edited by stillvoice

Thank you for your reply and the information you provide Seeker79 and I am also reading through your 'astral projection' tutorial with great interest.

The video you made is very elucidating about the process of sleep paralysis and upon experiencing sleep paralysis in the past my first instinct was to always break out of it as quickly as as possible out of trepidation that the impression of a malevolent entity or presence close by will overwhelm me entirely and I will be lost.

It's not malevolent. The part of your brain that regulates fight or flight responses is going through a bit of an exercise. I think It's a bit of a test to learn to master your primal instincts. There are guides available that will help you if you ask. Wether they are independent entities or psychological constructs it dosn't matter. They are there for you.

• Like 1

Astral projection is another term for dreaming.

• Like 1

It's not malevolent. The part of your brain that regulates fight or flight responses is going through a bit of an exercise. I think It's a bit of a test to learn to master your primal instincts. There are guides available that will help you if you ask. Wether they are independent entities or psychological constructs it dosn't matter. They are there for you.

I was undecided if the trepidation I had after sensing a presence near me was merely an evolutionary response of the threat seeking part of the brain based on an hypnopompic impression or whether there was an actual malevolence there (which in the cold light of day seems implausible). However I agree with your summary that whether they be internal constructs or external agencies they can be beneficial in achieving certain heightened dream states.

Edited by stillvoice

Astral projection is another term for dreaming.

Having never experienced astral projection personally I cannot be sure if the phenomena is separate from dreaming or not however from the written accounts I have read astral projection seems to be sufficiently different from both lucid dreaming and REM sleep and it should be recognised as such. Perhaps it is a unclassified form of lucid dreaming?

Until I have an instance of astral projection I cannot attest to the veracity of the phenomena.

Edited by stillvoice
  • Like 1

Having never experienced astral projection personally I cannot be sure if the phenomena is separate from dreaming or not however from the written accounts I have read astral projection seems to be sufficiently different from both lucid dreaming and REM sleep and it should be recognised as such. Perhaps it is a unclassified form of lucid dreaming?

Until I have an instance of astral projection I cannot attest to the veracity of the phenomena.

Hello to another new member..

I don't think we can really use REM as a decent way to gauge if astral projection/obe is a separate type of experience considering people can dream in non REM stage sleep. Also people can apparently go straight into REM stage sleep without going through the first sleep cycle. So those that obe before the first sleep cycle is completed might be one of those people. So they might think its not during REM(fair enough)because of the timing of the cycle but they could still be going into REM.

And everything I have experienced shows no major differences between dreaming and astral/obe. The experience feels different but the nature of it still keeps the experience in the realm of dreaming.

Anyway I think its good to find out and test things for yourself.

Edited by Kazahel

Considering there are people that can enter into oobes without sleep based altered states, some at will, some by chanting for hours, some through entheogens, sweat lodges, drumming circles, and dozens if not hundrds of other shamanic rituals and methods ranging from simple fasting to being hung in the air by their pectorials, I think it's safe to say its not a simple dreaming phenomenon whatever the physical componant happens to be.

Edited by Seeker79

I know that research and studies of OBE's have been conducted and I would think an unbiased comprehensive study of astral projection is warranted in order to establish if the phenomena is related to lucid dreaming or independent of it. It would be interesting to record how much melatonin the pineal gland produces during an episode of astral projection and if it is at a higher level than during REM sleep.

Edited by stillvoice

Having never experienced astral projection personally I cannot be sure if the phenomena is separate from dreaming...

Nor can scowl.

I know that research and studies of OBE's have been conducted and I would think an unbiased comprehensive study of astral projection is warranted in order to establish if the phenomena is related to lucid dreaming or independent of it. It would be interesting to record how much melatonin the pineal gland produces during an episode of astral projection and if it is at a higher level than during REM sleep.

Yes it certainly would. I have contacted several universities and the scientists conducting the AWARE study. Nothing. I'm probably just a nutcase to them. I am working on a relationship with a famouse scientist... So Mabey one day the right people and methods will get into a lab.

• Like 1

Considering there are people that can enter into oobes without sleep based altered states, some at will, some by chanting for hours, some through entheogens, sweat lodges, drumming circles, and dozens if not hundrds of other shamanic rituals and methods ranging from simple fasting to being hung in the air by their pectorials, I think it's safe to say its not a simple dreaming phenomenon whatever the physical componant happens to be.

People can nap and enter dreams, so those that obe at will could possibly be doing that. Chanting for hours and drumming I think would be the same as a mantra and give a trance like state? So similar to using a mantra of "I will know when I'm dreaming" until you basically WILD. Sweat lodges I don't know much about so I cant say.

Entheogens and substances like Datura(Brugmansia) though, I have dabbled with and they basically put you into a dream state while awake. The hallucinations are so real you can speak with a person for ages(they didn't speak back though for some reason) only to realise you've been speaking to a empty chair. Then it begins again until your next moment of clarity. And when you shut your eyes to sleep you can go straight into a lucid dream. I think if I was to of actually tried to control this state while awake I could've gone obe and done a lot more but I didn't want to keep playing around with the substance.

And fasting I think can give hallucinations and being hung by the pectorals I thought was like test of strength or something but I don't know much about that either.

Anyway you would think if there was all these people who can enter obe states using all these methods then it would be easy to test its reality to the physical world.

But yes more study into it all would be nice.

Edited by Kazahel

I say just relax into the episode when it happens, I get sp too and I have hallucinated as well, it can be scarey but there's nothing really there with you, if you relax you'll find it will go away on its own